The bank isn't taking your hard found damaged coins and notes??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of the shooters ever encountered this? Teller reused to accept anything but clean condition, including gold coins. I've sent 1000s in before now in large and small branches, hell I've been in so many times to one they grab the mint forms when they see me lined up in the high vis.
16 years a loyal customer and a flat no?
Alternatives I can consider?

Seriously mad. B. :mad:

Change banks! westpac has a coin counting machine, it doesn't like bent ones but as long as there not built up in dirt it should accept them, some times it spits them back out but you keep feeding them in.

Jaros said:
Complain to the Manager and if no good go above his/her head. Just bloody lazy I reckon.
Jaros :p
Correct Jaros. However the long held manager has moved on much to my annoyance, and the "shared" branch manager only comes in fortnightly. A stern letter is coming up.

Yeah happened to me too with my first ice cream container full, they flat out would not accept them. Then I found a branch with counting machine, no complaints since, lol.

As said just make sure they are not too crusty, one time the poor lady had to open the machine 7 times to get them all through for me, was a bit embarrassing. Some counting machines are better than others too.

I would like to think I could Save them up and pay the tax man :lol: :D :lol:

Coin counting machines are definitely the go, 10 minutes and it is all done but definitely take out all the damaged ones first.

From memory I think the Commonwealth has a service charge for non-customers.

B5MECH said:
Change banks! westpac has a coin counting machine, it doesn't like bent ones but as long as there not built up in dirt it should accept them, some times it spits them back out but you keep feeding them in.

Those machines go by weight, so a very grubby coin maybe rejected from time to time?
I have had perfectly clean ones rejected multiple times and it may be due to excessive wear?

Use your detected coins in parking meters or vending machines is also an option. :)

http://www.ramint.gov.au/faq

Second point on the Australian Mints page.

The bank takes care of it...

Can I return damaged or mutilated coins to the Mint?

No. The Royal Australian Mint does not accept deposits of coins directly from individuals, organisations or businesses. What you can do is deposit worn and damaged coins with your bank for full face value. But if you have mutilated coins, your bank will require you to complete a Mutilated Coin Claim Form and your deposit will be forwarded to the Mint for processing. If your coins are accepted the Mint will pay a scrap value, but not the full face value. For more information, see our Worn and Damaged Circulating Coin Policy and Worn and Damaged Coin Handling Guide.

Use them to pay fines.
Under Australian law any person or business can choose which forms of payment they accept, and have the right to refuse any particular payment: There is no onus on them to accept a type of payment just because it's legal tender.
However, under Australian law, ANY form of legal tender must be accepted in payment of a debt. Fines are a debt. Just keep in mind three things: they'll most likely refuse you at first, until they talk with legal counsel, and each coin denomination is only legal tender to a certain limit. Expect to spend quite a bit of time arguing, so know your rights.

Latest posts