Gold Monster 1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi James,
I have a GM and I am slowly falling in love with it.
I am a novice and have only been out eight times with it.(In the GT)
Only now I am getting to know the machine.
It will take you a while to get to know it but its a great little machine.
I have never used any other detector so I cannot compare it to anything.
However I have found two pieces of gold on my last outing.
In some locations it will struggle in hot ground but for a starting point of $1k its a good start to identify if you enjoy the hobby and It is very easy to use.
I want to update to a PI machine but I still will not part with the GM.
The GM is very sensitive to very small gold , I found a speck at .07 grams and will still find the bigger chunks.

Good luck out there with what ever you decide

Rob

I only got a cheap one that my partner got me one Xmas,

But have not found any gold with it,

But did find some gold coins while I was putting petrol in my car, and around where I camped,

Saving to buy a gold monster 1000,

Because I'm on a pension , and to try and save for a more expense one would mean , I would be to bloody old to use it by the time I got it haha, :)

goody2shoes said:
I only got a cheap one that my partner got me one Xmas,

But have not found any gold with it,

But did find some gold coins while I was putting petrol in my car, and around where I camped,

Saving to buy a gold monster 1000,

Because I'm on a pension , and to try and save for a more expense one would mean , I would be to bloody old to use it by the time I got it haha, :)
We will be doing a test on the gm1000 and the garrett ace 400i in the next few days with coins and gold nuggets both air and buried (i hope)
and then we will put the results up

Hi 7.62

Mate, thanks but the pages appear to be the same...is that intended?

What coil was used in the testing...5 inch or the oval coil?

Results look pretty good to me.

Ive seen GMs actually find gold so I think they are good units.

cheers
Mike

Thanks for the clarification 7.62 Marksman ...some pretty good results.

Wonder if anyone will do the same tests with an SDC and maybe an equinox 800 would be good to see a comparison chart.

Thanks again,
regards
Mike

Northeast said:
Hi James,

Not many responses yet so thought I might as well chip in.

The Minelab Equinox is the other potential option coming out in the near future that has a gold mode on it and may be a viable option but I'd wait and see some real on-the-ground reports from areas with high mineralisation.

GM - about $1000
Equinox - about $1600
SDC - about $3,500 new or get a decent one for $2,700 second hand with some warranty remaining.

It would be the SDC for me unless the Equinox reports come back REALLY favourable.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

Best of luck with your decision :Y:
I've had an equinox 800 for nearly 3 months now in Tassie and am getting driven up the wall by all the false signals it gives off in gold mode. It's a weapon coin hunting on the beach or park but unless the 6 inch coil changes it's performance I'd steer clear of it for gold detecting.

Dave79 said:
Northeast said:
Hi James,

Not many responses yet so thought I might as well chip in.

The Minelab Equinox is the other potential option coming out in the near future that has a gold mode on it and may be a viable option but I'd wait and see some real on-the-ground reports from areas with high mineralisation.

GM - about $1000
Equinox - about $1600
SDC - about $3,500 new or get a decent one for $2,700 second hand with some warranty remaining.

It would be the SDC for me unless the Equinox reports come back REALLY favourable.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

Best of luck with your decision :Y:
I've had an equinox 800 for nearly 3 months now in Tassie and am getting driven up the wall by all the false signals it gives off in gold mode. It's a weapon coin hunting on the beach or park but unless the 6 inch coil changes it's performance I'd steer clear of it for gold detecting.

I had the same experience. Yes it can find gold, but the efficiency with the stock coil just isn't there. I too am hoping the small coil will work better. In one way, I am kind of hoping it would turn the 800 into a GM, but I don't think that is very realistic. One can only hope.

Guess we will all know sooner than later.

Rick

hAyyoUinAU said:
A little video with advice for GM 1000 users out there. Mainly the ones who are having problems..

Great machine, when used correctly. Like most machines I guess.

Anyways, a very good tip on here.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_h7nlrfRx0[/video]
Thanks mate now i know what i was doing wrong
Old dog just learnt something new

Hey guys, just wondering if any of yah have ever come across a nugget that feels like gold and looks like a gold nugget but is silver coloured, feels like gold weight wise, but not soft like lead, approx 65mm x 28x 8mm at thickest point, about 25grams on a kitchen scale, non magnetic too, pic attached
1564571414_20190731_142231.jpg

No evidence of fire, it was in the bottom of a tailings pile right beside a 1917 silver florin, but as you can imagine me being a newbie, when it was in the hand given the weight and being covered in Orange dirt, the old ticker skipped a beat, it's heavy for its size. definitely not lead, hard as hell . I took it to lucky strike here in geelong he reckons it's just a bit of pot metal. Bugger it

7.62marksman said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
A little video with advice for GM 1000 users out there. Mainly the ones who are having problems..

Great machine, when used correctly. Like most machines I guess.

Anyways, a very good tip on here.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_h7nlrfRx0[/video]
Thanks mate now i know what i was doing wrong
Old dog just learnt something new
Funny as. I just took my monster out for its first day, yeah heavily mineralised ground, didn't know how to ground balance it, put up with constant hot rock signals all day, dug many of them, ignored thousands lol...and somehow got a nice lil specimen piece with an hour of light left. Much to learn about detecting lol

20xwater, watch a couple of 'Nugget Shooter' videos on YouTube
search Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Ground Balance in a Nutshell"
he has more than a couple of good videos
edit, ahhh yeah I think the one posted above is the one im talking about. Well worth watching

Guys
Please take note what setting Nugget Shooter has his machine in, shown at the end of the video. He has it in Auto Sensitivity. What I believe he is actually doing is showing Auto Sensitivity adjustment. The machine is auto adjusting sensitivity (gain) to suit the change in bank to gravels mineralization. The Gold Monster is permanently auto ground balancing or in other terms in ground balance tracking. There is no adjustment for ground balancing type. It cant be changed to fixed ground balance like GPX machines. It only has permanent auto tracking ground balance. I dont feel hes explaining it quite right and it may confuse people. I believe what I say is correct but happy to be proven otherwise. Cheers

Latest posts