Easy to Erect Van for 1

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys.I am seeking suggestions for an off road van - largely for 1, but separate sleeping for two would be OK.
I like the idea of pop-up as I can get into the garage (with kayaks etc hanging from the roof) and it's low wind resistance & tree clearance.
I have been researching Jayco Penguin Outback, but would appreciate any knowledgeable feedback on these or alternatives.

Hi BW,
no experience myself with one, but see a few over here every year. Appear to be quite popular.

Quizzed a fellow about his shiny new one this year, gent in his late 60's to mid 70's camped by himself in some pretty rugged country. No dramas erecting it by himself, all the mod cons and quite spacious inside.

He bought it after being talked into it by his mate and his wife who had one. Quite liked it but only downside he said was it wouldn't quite get to some of the places his old (smaller) soft top camper would get to.

I sort of got the opinion he was just used to the old one and set in his ways, afraid to scratch it, but was getting to like it the more he used it. This was its maiden voyage.

all I know was that it was a Jayco Penguin Outback. unsure of the year model but it was a brand spanker so I just assumed this years model.

If you are talking pop top they are all easy, you just release the holding catches and lift the roof up.
Older ones had spring assisted scissor lift mechanism, modern ones have gas struts, so they should really all be simple to lift.
Mine has the old scissor lifts, now it's getting a few panels on the roof it's sagging a bit, so I got some gas struts to assist with the extra weight.

If you are a really lazy bugger you can get air lifters, I haven't looked into these as it's really only for decrepit fossils or someone with bad back injuries etc.

The good thing about pop tops is you can get really good ventilation. Solid vans can get bloody hot in the same conditions that a pop top will be comfortable in.
Also consider your vehicles tow capacity.
Can't help with different models, perhaps look at a van forum.
http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=64830

Pretty much a case of really having to look at the needs and buy accordingly .................. have found that a type with one advantage will lose in another. Without doubt the camper trailer be it soft or hard floor if the right brand purchased will go the tightest places (basically if your vehicle will go ther so will it ) and take the most rugged terrain but usually setting up is a little more involved but can still be handled by one person. They are probably also best value for money as can get one new even without selling your first born. I got a quote on a new Kimberley top of the range with quad rack several days ago and was a three month wait with a price tag of $84K :8
The Tvan is one of the best concepts for my purpose as on long hauls you can just pull up and within minutes be laying in bed ..................... the downside as there always is would for me firstly be once again the price and that you would have a problem carrying a quad on top of it :rolleyes: in fact impossible so that ruled that out.
For a one man set up in the camper van type you could look at an Avan ................. quick and easy to set up tows like a pop top without the usual canvas rot problems that a lot of pop tops suffer. Especially the older one's
Decisions decisions .................... hope it has helped rather than confused more :)

TVAN
1509074408_tvan-setup.jpg

AVAN

1509074491_a_van.jpg

How long does that take to set up Martin
A, just the camper
B camper and annexe?

BTW such a shame to see such a nice camper parked in a van park like that :( :N: :N:
How could you Martin? Shame shame shame :rolleyes:

(before anyone gets upset I know Martin well and he knows I'm stirring him)

Yer :D It takes me about a max of 10Mins to setup the main tent and half an hour to setup the whole thing (on my own) after setting it up a bunch of times.
And i dont have a saggy roof like my mate Markie :p

Thanks guys,
Am having a look at a Penguin Outback tomorrow. I know it won't get into places my 4X4 can, but the Outback range is quite formidable all the same.
With retirement looming, I'm looking for a few more creature comforts in the bush these days to keep up with you young whippersnappers ;)
I'd also like to start longer trips with reduced work days prior to retirement to get a feel for what I really need when the big day comes (2 years).