Volcanic rocks - anyone seen any like these

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My son has just got into doing Bonsai, and after doing one he's decided he's ready to do another one.

He's decided that the style he wants to do is Saikai (tray planting) where you kind of make it look like a the trees are growing on the rocks by the sea.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where you could find these types of rocks, in the wild? And before anyone says "check ebay", they are available there, but where's the fun in that? Below are some examples of gumtree.

Thanks in advance!

1508972298__20.jpg

1508972298__201.jpg

Wow Marauder, they look like martian rocks to me. So maybe somewhere volcanic where there has been intrusion into a softer type rock that erodes away easier once it gets its fair share of extreme weathering over time but not a pumelling in the creek bed so to speak. 8)

We have these amazing rocks on one of our mining leases. I have often thought of selling them for fish aquariums.

G'day Marauder. I reckon you'll find that those rocks are sedimentary mate - sandstone, and don't get pinched taking home rocks like that 'cause it's illegal - something to do with 'habitat'. Go down to your local beach and have a walk along the headland and you'll see rocks like that.

Now. Suppose you could get your hands on rocks like that - you'd need to wash 'em for a while to get the sodium out of 'em. But then again...if you bought 'em down at your friendly local neighbourhood garden centre, that'd already be taken care of. Eh. :cool:

Golden Emu said:
We have these amazing rocks on one of our mining leases. I have often thought of selling them for fish aquariums.
Hahaha, when I saw the pic I thought they look like the ones aquariums sell.

also created by bubbles in the molten larva popping or partly melting part of the rock leaving a cavity you can find them around most volcanos or basalt flows basalt flows normally come from volcanos. you can get the same thing in certain strata of iron rich sediments like mongoman said.

Yeah the fishtank ones, often reddish in colour are sedimentary. The proper ones the japanese use are basalt, and its usually been melted a second time, like from a second lava flow.

I think HTY is on the right track.

Latest posts