Weekend trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tez

Reaction score
Went out near powelltown on the weekend and got some nice stones. On the minus side I donated heaps of blood to the local leech colony up there. This time of year there are hundreds of little fellas

Hi tez. Welcome. I'm pretty new to this also. Im more interested in gold but would like to try some gem hunting also. I grew up around that area. More on the noojee side. What type of stones did you find?

Sorry but I'm about to rant a bit,

I remember going to Powelltown a few years ago with a mate, smoky quartz, citrine, tourmaline, topaz all for grabs. Some very nice stones.

Unfortunately, at the time, the scumbags were all over it, they had dredged the living daylights out of the place, piles of picked through gravel everywhere up the banks, not to mention uncovered holes and undercut banks you would lose yourself in.

Has it cleaned up a bit?

Youtube is a great thing for prospectors if they are the type you would be happy to call a mate but its a shame the prospecting terrorists use it to find locations too, I went through GG not that long ago and it was looking like a moonscape there, pits and eroded undercut banks, broken glass, and trash all over. No wonder places get shut down for good.

Rant over! Sorry just been noticing way more wankers in every direction you go these days (I caught some jokers blatantly dredging in plain sight this morning), showing no respect for the environment and the ever-encroaching rules (for people who abide) that govern our hobby/passion.

Hi bumdags , it's a bit like Chris said . Various types of quartz gems , tourmaline , occasional topaz and sometimes chalcedony species worth taking home . Never seen anyone dredging there and can't really see the point when you're sifting for semi precious stones. Besides that , it's a hell of a walk in where I go and any moron towing a dredge wouldn't make it back up the hill. All that being said I have noticed more activity lately and huge holes being excavated and not filled.

Latest posts