It's poke a rock time!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I reckon this meteorite thing sounds like fun.

Unlike gold, meteorites will be totally random in their distribution and, as far as I know, unlike gold, there are no restrictions on where one can search (let's avoid the word prospect) for them.

So, I've ordered a rare earth magnet with a hole in it from e-bay to screw on to the bottom of a walking stick and when I'm camped in non gold areas I'm going to stroll around assaulting innocent dark coloured rocks by giving them a good poke with my stick :)

Should cause confusion if anyone else is around; "Sorry, please excuse me a moment I just have to go and poke that rock". I like it! :)

You increas your chance of finding them in by looking in areas that have few natural rocks like the silty bottom of ancient sea beds. Especially if the area has had alot of recent erosion. I am in the gulf and find things that humans have left behind even though the density of people living here would have been low. Have found other things I cant explain too.