Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, Over weekend I detected for 6 hours with my GPX5000 and the SPO1 on totally flogged ground, and I was using a speaker, with the target volume on 19. Chrystal clear sound with no distortion, the smallest piece was 0.09gm Very happy with the SP01. Cheers, Hermann. :Y:

SteelPat said:
Heatho said:
So can anyone shed any more light on what's going on inside the Steelphase amp, different eq curves and q factors? A little bit of compression and boosting maybe? It certainly looks the goods.

Ok well without going into too much detail (I have spent a lot of time and money on the design so I dont want to give out too many secrets lol) there is a very low noise class AB amp that provides the obvious amplification. There are also some filter stages that have different eq curves (mainly to allow people to find a setting that is comfortable for them and how their machine is set up). It also has a stage that provides a little compression to give more definition to very broad signals, making them more pronounced and less likely to be missed.

I wont go into a full sales pitch on here (not until I sign up as a sponsor anyway) but there is also some info on www.steelphase.com.au as well as the steelphase facebook page (I am posting peoples finds on there as they send me photos)

Hey Pat, thanks for the clarification, great answer to my question, exactly what I wanted to know. I had been thinking for years that a unit along those lines is what's needed, I've been an audio engineer for around 25 years but I don't have the electronics skills to make the unit you have. Well done I must say. I will invest in one of your units for sure for my next detecting trip. :Y: :Y:

PhaseTech said:
I've got a bit of video footage to go through, and will post up when I can.

Thanks Nenad although SteelPat thinks you had not done one comparing the GPX amp.
If not hopefully you can do a comparison to the GPX battery amp.
As they say a video speaks for itself.

Yeah I think Heatho that's exactly how this came to be ................ Nenad as a prospector always found something lacking in what was available I think ...................... personally can't wait to give one ago as I think Nenads looking for "field testers" :party: oh hang on that's probably field testers that know what there doing .................... I'm out 8.(

Sounds good not that I understand the technical details you fella's are talking. After reading the thread I'm keen to get one what price are they and delivery time to Vic. Anything to improve signal response is worth the investment imo.

Looks like a Mod of the "Finders Super Fix" :D

Like to give one myself ago, like the USB charge as thats the way to go these days.

Cheers

Bogger said:
Yeah I think Heatho that's exactly how this came to be ................ Nenad as a prospector always found something lacking in what was available I think ...................... personally can't wait to give one ago as I think Nenads looking for "field testers" :party: oh hang on that's probably field testers that know what there doing .................... I'm out 8.(

Nenad knows a few things about audio as well. :D :Y:

Heatho said:
Bogger said:

Nenad knows a few things about audio as well. :D :Y:

Been plenty of field testing Bogger so you may have missed that boat lol. And yes Nenad certainly knows his stuff, especially when it comes to prospecting and things related to detectors.

Just to give a little info on my background - I have been working with electronics since I was 10 (I was the nerdy/geeky kid who used to fix the schools audio gear at lunchtime lol) and have been in the industry since I left school (over 40 years now). While I have done loads of different types of electronics from making battery charger units for dept of defense, marine electronics through to working on fire alarm systems on oil tankers, home electronics, audio repairs and design have been my specialty.

My actual qualifications are Electrical Fitter/Mechanic (Electrician) special class (this was the industrial electronics bit... not sure what they call it now), an Electronics Technician plus did a computer science degree I did just for fun. This doesnt include all the extra courses I have done with various manufacturers such as Samsung, Panasonic, Yamaha etc.

This is why I was never happy with any of the audio boosters on the market. To me, the sound was atrocious, the electronic design poor and the finished product looked very amateurish. I got together with Nenad and asked him what he would like in an audio unit. There were a few prototypes, lots of discussion and then heaps of testing. Finally we came up with a product that I was happy to use and put my name too.

So Steelpat I gather from what your saying there is not much point in me watching my mail box ? ;)
It's ok I'm buggered anyway as I just realized my detector doesn't have a headphone jack :/
1507770913_detector_cheap.jpg

Over a few years I have had to repair a few so called boosters... All the ones I have seen have had a single 8 pin audio amp and performs a basic audio amp. And subject to the restrictions of the in and output loads and the specs of that single IC.

Without seeing one, from what I have read and understand from chats... This one by SteelPat and Nenad is more of a Audio ENHANCER that is Fit for Use (Audio Features) and in hard conditions...

I like the mini guitar amps as they boost and allow some manipulation of the audio and have a wide frequency range - great for some of us with bad hearing... BUT not up-to the Dust / Dirt and Abuse; that these things get when attached to a Detector being swung by some loony in the bush ROFLMFAO.

Any enhancer is subject to the signals and frequency's it is provided with AND that is where SteelPat and Nedad I think have it over others as they are a blend of technical and experience in this particular area. That is; the ability of enhancement of tones etc that might normally be lost due to the input and of course the 101 different speakers (Input impedance / Response etc).

As to a fire due to a Lipo going rogue. Would be interesting to see a case. But remember there are 101 different phones and other items that use Lipo's of significantly higher capacity and housed in plastic... How many Phone fires or Dash cam's happen...

DISCLAMER: I am no way affiliated with this project ( would like to get my hands on one :) ) but not sure it would be of any functional value on a CTX3030. But from an Electronics background and first hand experience with other units; The SteelPhase unit appears to be of a totally different class of product to all the other simple audio amps that I have seen being used or have had to fix... The proof of the matter will be first hand use and experience with the unit and understanding that it is not just an audio amplifier..

PS. SteelPat - Feel free to correct me/my statement above; if I have in any way mis interpenetrated the data I have looked at and the interpretation I have expressed.

PPS. As soon as some one gets one up here, I will be wanting to get my hands on it LOL. Technical interests :)

Ran a Rooster Booster on my GPX 5000 and had to go back to a speaker only. Could not stand the chatter. What I have seen and heard of this one is that it ticks all boxes. Looking forward to getting one really soon.
Greatest respect for Nenad and Pats tests reviews and products.

AngerManagement said:
..... the ability of enhancement of tones etc that might normally be lost due to the input and of course the 101 different speakers (Input impedance / Response etc)...
Exactly what we are aiming for

AngerManagement said:
....As to a fire due to a Lipo going rogue. Would be interesting to see a case. But remember there are 101 different phones and other items that use Lipo's of significantly higher capacity and housed in plastic... How many Phone fires or Dash cam's happen...
The case is from the same series as the case made for the GPX battery (Hammond 1455 series). Tough and good looking (a bit like me lol)

AngerManagement said:
PPS. As soon as some one gets one up here, I will be wanting to get my hands on it LOL. Technical interests :)
I'm sure you will see one sooner or later. If you are ever down this way you are more than welcome to come visit the workshop.

4 grs of gold or there abouts...damn good value :Y:

edit: Nenad or Pat a question if I may, every other damn booster I've ever used seems to introduce a hum if the coil touches the ground. Generally goes away if I touch the speaker.

Hard to explain sorry, just wondering if it's booster related, speaker related, earth related or maybe I'm like that freaky snow white dude off that movie called 'Powder'.....I did get whacked by lightening about 15 years ago

If yours doesn't do it I'll snavel one in short order. :Y:

madtuna said:
4 grs of gold or there abouts...damn good value :Y:

edit: Nenad or Pat a question if I may, every other damn booster I've ever used seems to introduce a hum if the coil touches the ground. Generally goes away if I touch the speaker.

Hard to explain sorry, just wondering if it's booster related, speaker related, earth related or maybe I'm like that freaky snow white dude off that movie called 'Powder'.....I did get whacked by lightening about 15 years ago

If yours doesn't do it I'll snavel one in short order. :Y:

A lot of the other boosters I have seen are all in unshielded cases and have poor quality audio cables. It could be either of these or a combination of both. This unit was designed primarily for headphone use (as well as speakers) and therefore needed to have very low background noise and low susceptibility to interference.