Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nenad I just ordered a sP01 pouch and gaters.
I dont know how to select color. Would you please be able to get camo if you have one in stock. Cheers

Gday

I use the B&Z boosters both for the 4500 and 2300, as I have it set up on my harness so they will both run through it, mainly for the ease of adjusting the volume without having to go into the menu to do it on the 4500 and because the 2300 has no volume control and I can amplify that as required to better suit my hearing, the 4500 has a pretty good signal response normally and the booster just helps me to tweak it up a bit, more particularly if i want to use an external speaker of course but I pretty much use headphones all the time now, I have found that the 2300 has a kind of vague signal response at times and the booster helps to just lift that signal response out a bit, all in all for me I have found a booster to be beneficial as improvement in gold finds are testament to that.

I have been considering trying out the SP01 as the filtering system is interesting, can someone explain to me what benefit they think I can gain from that? and if changing to it will make some difference?

cheers

stayyerAU

Hi stayer, cant help you with the filter side of it, as I dont move it from whatever one its set in and have never read the manual.

What I can say though is Ive used probably 90% of boosters made and the SP01 is in front of the pack like Winx < Ooooh! I made a cool analogy :D
Ive had 6 B&Zs and every single one has had an annoying background hum as have many of the others. The SP01 is worth it just for its clarity and build quality filters aside.

Gday

Thanks for the replies Madtuna and diggit, build quality is always a concern to me as its pretty easy to wreck things in the bush even if you try hard to keep things safe somehow they still seem to get damaged, and the worst thing is when you have something set up well and it fails or plays up then you have to re fit everything so you can get on with detecting, I carry spares of everything for that very reason, with the b&z I can swap out the batteries if they go flat or fail, I take it this is not an option with the Sp01 so if you are relying on it the way I do then I would have to buy 2 of them, or can the batteries be changed in the field?, if not what is the cost of having them replaced by the manufacturer that would be my concern also, all I know is that no matter what you pay for things these days reliability is definitely a thing of the past.

cheers

stayyerAU

Gday Stayyer,
The SP01 inbuilt lithium battery is charged by a usb cable from either 240/12 volt source and charges up very quickly.
I have never run out of battery with mine, even after a full day detecting.
It really is a robust little unit, and Im sure it would have a reliable quality battery on board that should last hundreds of cycles.
Cheers.

StayyerAU said:
Gday

Thanks for the replies Madtuna and diggit, build quality is always a concern to me as its pretty easy to wreck things in the bush even if you try hard to keep things safe somehow they still seem to get damaged, and the worst thing is when you have something set up well and it fails or plays up then you have to re fit everything so you can get on with detecting, I carry spares of everything for that very reason, with the b&z I can swap out the batteries if they go flat or fail, I take it this is not an option with the Sp01 so if you are relying on it the way I do then I would have to buy 2 of them, or can the batteries be changed in the field?, if not what is the cost of having them replaced by the manufacturer that would be my concern also, all I know is that no matter what you pay for things these days reliability is definitely a thing of the past.

cheers

stayyerAU

Hey StayyerAU

To answer a few of your questions:

The difference between the sP01 and all other boosters on the market is that it not only amplifies the signal but also shapes the target response i.e. it puts more of an 'edge' on those faint broad target responses making them stand out. I have many customers going out over old ground they have worked for years and finding targets that they had missed before.

The battery is not changeable in the field. I've had my own personal unit for around 3 years now and the battery still holds charge for well over a day of detecting. That being said, if it does fail I will certainly replace it for you. While the sP01 has a nominal 12mth warranty period, if there are no obvious signs of abuse, tampering or corrosion (i.e. been under water, run over by the car, hit by lightning, used as a ball for drunken cricket match etc), I will always look after my customers and repair/replace components as needed. I firmly believe in standing by any product I produce.

regards Pat

OzzieAu said:
Gday Stayyer,
The SP01 inbuilt lithium battery is charged by a usb cable from either 240/12 volt source and charges up very quickly.
I have never run out of battery with mine, even after a full day detecting.
It really is a robust little unit, and Im sure it would have a reliable quality battery on board that should last hundreds of cycles.
Cheers.

Gday

Thanks for the reply, that was my other question that I forgot to ask, about the run time, and thanks you answered that for me as well, as you mention the unit is robust and like I said no matter how careful you are with your gear sometimes things get damaged, plastics can be dodgy these days and it does not take much to break some things, even though the boosters I use now are still working ok they are a few seasons old now and due for replacement so that was why I have been looking at other options and the SP01 boosters.

cheers

stayyerAU

steelPHASE said:
StayyerAU said:
Gday

cheers

stayyerAU

Hey StayyerAU

To answer a few of your questions:

The difference between the sP01 and all other boosters on the market is that it not only amplifies the signal but also shapes the target response i.e. it puts more of an 'edge' on those faint broad target responses making them stand out. I have many customers going out over old ground they have worked for years and finding targets that they had missed before.

The battery is not changeable in the field. I've had my own personal unit for around 3 years now and the battery still holds charge for well over a day of detecting. That being said, if it does fail I will certainly replace it for you. While the sP01 has a nominal 12mth warranty period, if there are no obvious signs of abuse, tampering or corrosion (i.e. been under water, run over by the car, hit by lightning, used as a ball for drunken cricket match etc), I will always look after my customers and repair/replace components as needed. I firmly believe in standing by any product I produce.

regards Pat

Gday Pat

Thanks for the reply, anything that can give you an edge on finding gold is worth a try, I have been using boosters for some years now due to hearing loss from (being an old fart) and industrial deafness, and without one I would most definitely not get any gold at all, so I am always up for trying something new.

As far as the filter settings go, is it a trail and error thing or does the unit come with instructions as to what works best for say small gold or for deep targets and so on?, I use the booster for the sdc2300 as well as the target response can be very vague at times and it also has a lack of a proper volume control, so with the booster I use I can just adjust the volume up a bit just to make the more subtle signals stand out more, it definitely helps as I used it initially without the booster and then later with it so I know there is a difference.

The battery run time was one question that I had but that has been answered, as I have other devices like Nenads wireless set up I have also been concerned that some of these rechargeable devices might not have the runtime that the main detector battery has and that you could suddenly find yourself with it going flat, with the b&z its takes seconds to put in new batteries, but as you say if there is no issue with a normal days detecting then that should not be an issue, but to be sure you can still recharge it easily at half time while having a nanna nap.

cheers

stayyerAU

Hey stayyerAU

When I designed the sP01 label, the word filter was probably a poor choice in words on my part. Its not a true filter in the sense of the word as its not filtering out anything.

So as I said previously, the sP01 puts an edge on broader targets. It basically does this by effectively 'squeezing' the target response. Now for this to work effectively it needs to work on a band of frequencies. Now this band will vary depending on the tone of the users threshold. The filter switch is basically there to move that band of frequencies. Generally most people run factory settings for the threshold tone (or close to it) and for this filter 1 is the most aggressive enhancement.

Now the offshoot of this is that if the ground is hot or very noisy, if you run a filter setting that is not optimum for your threshold tone, you will find it tends to have a lower background noise yet the enhancement feature still works (although not to the the degree if it was set to optimum setting) and still have an advantage over traditional style boosters.

regards
Pat

Anyone else find the SP01 battery seems to run forever and charges ridiculously fast Haha
Thanks for a great product guys
All found with the SP01
1556363177_20190427_200320-1804x2257.jpg

What's the wait time on your headphones? Thinking of getting a pair for upcoming trip as I only have the UR30's and there getting a bit tired

LORD said:
What's the wait time on your headphones? Thinking of getting a pair for upcoming trip as I only have the UR30's and there getting a bit tired

The pro series headphones arrived on Friday. I still have to put plugs on them and do final testing but going by previous shipments, they wont last long. I already have a lot pre-sold. Should be ready for shipping Monday or Tuesday.

regards
Pat

I am brand new to the forum, and I want to thank all who have contributed their feedback and experiences about the SP01. I learned a lot because I am waiting for mine too still in customs here in the UK. I have a GPX 4500 and Nugget Finder 19 to complete my desired combination. :cool:

Latest posts