New to GPX4500 - my experience so far

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

bought my GPX 4500 a few months ago and have been out and about 3 full days and while I respect the capability of this detector greatly, the ergonometrics does not exist. Gotta wonder at times what was Minelab thinking - or maybe its just me being pedantic.

The huge battery and harness idea was probably a good idea back in 1945 but not in the last 25 years. Maybe a 3 section shaft would have been better for transport saving the need to completely break down the detector for safe and easy transport. I still have not worked out the best way to store it at home without taking it apart ..lol I did attack the top shaft with a hacksaw and removed 2" so it would fit in my 4x4 rear drawers while only removing the lower shaft.

Anyway I have decided to do away with the Minelab battery - I have seen a couple of smaller (3rd party) battery variations and am wondering if any of you guys have had experience with them?

I am after a system that is light weight and gives me moveability - I feel restricted and tied up at the moment when detecting.

Maybe I should not be complaining as I did find gold on my first outing :)

Cheers
Keith

It seems that if you want to find Gold then you have to put up with the weight, If the weight is the problem then try mounting the control box as far back as possible and move the handle about an inch or so further down the shaft towards the coil, Even heavy machines can be a joy to use if you can balance them to suit your needs,

I never use the arm strap on mine so my elbow rested within the arm cup which allowed me to move the handle forward and still keep control of the machine/Swing. If you get it right then you can get away with not needing the arm strap, and it makes it easier to grab the detector and start sweeping or putting it down to dig,

hope that helps.

John.

Yes, agree the big bulky battery is a pain. I made up a new wiring harness and run a lipo battery. Coupled with a good wireless guitar transmitter and receiver (Delay time: 6 ms) I can detect for 8 hours easily on one battery and have the second ready as a spare. The Lipos also charge in about 30m - 1 hr. The only downside is Lipos can catch fire, so when storing at home or travelling I put mine in a small steel money box with a layer of cement sheet on the bottom and a bag of sand in the lid. As the lipo battery is velcroed to the side of the detector it is going to add a little more weight. Never enough to bother me and running an 11" Coil ill detect all day with no problems. Any larger in coil size and I use a hip stick and bungy. All up with a good quality charger, 2x batteries, wireless setup and the wiring harness it cost about the same as a new minelab battery.

Hey Richter, sounds good, some pics and links to where you purchased the stuff would be great :Y: :Y: :party: :party:

Lipo battery. You can spend more but these do the job. I get around 8 hours of detecting time per battery.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2S2P-7-4...158076?hash=item3d42b4eb7c:g:sE0AAOSwbD9ZtgkF

Imax-Digital-RC-Lipo-Lithium-Nimh-Battery-Balance-Charger. A lot of cheap Chinese knock offs so make sure you buy an original one. Not worth risking a fire when charging I was told.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skyrc-Im...723704?hash=item5d51e1fe38:g:Ru0AAOSwlMFZGsf6

Xvive U2 Carbon Guitar Wireless System. Have tried another brand that had external wires these have no wires and work better. A bit annoyed that I had to replace the other wireless system but because I let the receiver dangle from my belt the wires broke. I pulled it apart and resoldered new wires and that worked for a few months ok. Then the transmitter would freeze as soon as the receiver got turned on. Tried resetting/pairing, (even removed the battery). Ended up throwing them in the bin. Was a bit of a risk buying the Xvive as I didn't know if they would work, thankfully they did. These units are fantastic. A hell of a lot cheaper than the Garrett or Minelab and do the same thing. Especially like the fact that they swivel/bend when connected. I don't run wireless headphones because I like the headphones that i have.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xvive-U2...505817?hash=item440a6a29d9:g:nqIAAOSw-QZZvMx2

5 Pin line male gold plated connector pin suitable for Minelab GPX power lead
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Pin-li...515142?hash=item2a8efc2306:g:yjIAAOxy3yNThBQq

Heres the site that helped me put this together
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t23694-going-wireless-on-my-gpx4500

I also run a B&Z booster because this system doesn't have the inbuilt amp like the minelab battery.

Edit: If you get your wiring wrong you will wreck your detector. Lipo batteries can catch fire (i take every precaution to limit my chances of this happening) I put a plastic bag full of sand in the lid of the box. The idea is that in an event of a fire the plastic bag will burn and dump sand on the fire putting it out. I also lined the steel money box with cement sheet to help with heat so the surface the box is in contact with doesn't catch on fire. Some people use lipo bags but most of them are rubbish.
Heres what happens when a lipo fires up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s

You definitely need to feel comfortable, and if you're not, then keep experimenting for sure.

I had been using the SDC exclusively before I purchased the 4500, and my main concern was the harness/battery and being attached to the machine. Weight was also a concern, but I must say, none have been an issue.

I find the 4500 feels lighter than the 2300, or maybe it's just better balanced. I don't use a bungy and can detect all day no problem. The battery can feel a bit annoying at times, but the more snug the belt strap is adjusted, the less noticeable it is. There are a number of ways to disconnect yourself from the machine, but for me, it's more things you have to charge or attach, and I prefer to keep it simple.

I have a short wheel base 4wd, and I just leave it set up when transporting, and it stays set up when it's at home.

I guess it just goes to show, same machine, different people, different perspective.

Hope you get it sorted for you, it's a great machine :D

The GPX weighs 5.3 lbs and the battery weighs 1.7 lbs that's 7 Lbs in total, even so when set up right it should float over the ground using the standard 11" DD coil, by rights the GP/GPX series are one of the best balanced machines ever made,

GPX actual weight = 5.3lb

Day 1 swinging = *20lb

Day 2 swinging = *20lb

Day 3 swinging = *15lb

Day 5 swinging = *8lb

Day 7 swinging = *5.3lb

Day 31 swinging = *1.5lb

* = feels like

If only the 7000 came in a GPX like set up I'd be touching myself like a teenager

RichterScale said:
Lipo battery. You can spend more but these do the job. I get around 8 hours of detecting time per battery.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2S2P-7-4...158076?hash=item3d42b4eb7c:g:sE0AAOSwbD9ZtgkF

Imax-Digital-RC-Lipo-Lithium-Nimh-Battery-Balance-Charger. A lot of cheap Chinese knock offs so make sure you buy an original one. Not worth risking a fire when charging I was told.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skyrc-Im...723704?hash=item5d51e1fe38:g:Ru0AAOSwlMFZGsf6

Xvive U2 Carbon Guitar Wireless System. Have tried another brand that had external wires these have no wires and work better. A bit annoyed that I had to replace the other wireless system but because I let the receiver dangle from my belt the wires broke. I pulled it apart and resoldered new wires and that worked for a few months ok. Then the transmitter would freeze as soon as the receiver got turned on. Tried resetting/pairing, (even removed the battery). Ended up throwing them in the bin. Was a bit of a risk buying the Xvive as I didn't know if they would work, thankfully they did. These units are fantastic. A hell of a lot cheaper than the Garrett or Minelab and do the same thing. Especially like the fact that they swivel/bend when connected. I don't run wireless headphones because I like the headphones that i have.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xvive-U2...505817?hash=item440a6a29d9:g:nqIAAOSw-QZZvMx2

5 Pin line male gold plated connector pin suitable for Minelab GPX power lead
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Pin-li...515142?hash=item2a8efc2306:g:yjIAAOxy3yNThBQq

Heres the site that helped me put this together
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t23694-going-wireless-on-my-gpx4500

I also run a B&Z booster because this system doesn't have the inbuilt amp like the minelab battery.

Edit: If you get your wiring wrong you will wreck your detector. Lipo batteries can catch fire (i take every precaution to limit my chances of this happening) I put a plastic bag full of sand in the lid of the box. The idea is that in an event of a fire the plastic bag will burn and dump sand on the fire putting it out. I also lined the steel money box with cement sheet to help with heat so the surface the box is in contact with doesn't catch on fire. Some people use lipo bags but most of them are rubbish.
Heres what happens when a lipo fires up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s
How do you wire your audio i.e. only 2 x audio wires but need stereo output?
Is it positive to tip & negative to ring? Or do you need to bridge the positive to both tip + ring & negative to sleeve?
Have heard that some of the eBay Fluoreons have inflated mah capacity ratings compared to actual performance but others seem ok. If your getting 8hrs that seems good though.

Been awhile since i made the wiring harness. Originally the first set of wireless units came with stereo plugs so I had the negative wire to the sleeve and bridged the tip and ring together (positive). the Xvive, however, came with mono plugs so to get them to work i cut the connection between tip and ring and just had the positive wire attached to the tip. as far as the Fluoreons go, I've heard they aren't that great but I've had a good run out of mine.

Thanks guys for your input - after reading your comments I am thinking that the weight in general is not the main issue. The battery pack attached to your back is ok weight wise but I just don't like being attached to the machine. Thanks RitcherScale for your LiPo info - very interesting and I will look into it further but I'm not sure I would appreciate a self combustion GPX :) Ridge Runner, yes my balance could be better but this is not really the main problem - thanks for your input. Isolation - I find the bungy cord does help a little is the weight but it also adds to the feeling of being tied up - gee I'm starting to sound like I have a psychological issue ...lol Maybe I need therapy :) Madtuna come on Day 31

cheers
Keith

Keith1 said:
Thanks guys for your input - after reading your comments I am thinking that the weight in general is not the main issue. The battery pack attached to your back is ok weight wise but I just don't like being attached to the machine. Thanks RitcherScale for your LiPo info - very interesting and I will look into it further but I'm not sure I would appreciate a self combustion GPX :) Ridge Runner, yes my balance could be better but this is not really the main problem - thanks for your input. Isolation - I find the bungy cord does help a little is the weight but it also adds to the feeling of being tied up - gee I'm starting to sound like I have a psychological issue ...lol Maybe I need therapy :) Madtuna come on Day 31

cheers
Keith

I only found out that these batteries could be a problem a long time after building this system. Would I go down this track and do it again if I knew? Probably not. Have thought about the battery going up while attached to the gpx and if it does then I guess ill be buying a ZED.

I know it's a bit after the fact but the SDC sounds like it'd have suited your needs perfectly. Especially with extra coil options becoming available. I suppose the GPX wouldn't lose much in value if you decided to sell it on and save money on a modified set up

I only find the 4500 harness a nuisance on hot days where it limits air-flow and requires sweat/salt to be washed off regularly.
I personally find the balance of this machine to be great, and only need a bungy when swinging the bigger coils.
The original bungy that came with the machine was difficult to clip on/off, but the newer ones are very easy to use, and I don't have an issue with using them.
All in all, my only complaint is the harness in the heat.

RichterScale said:
Lipo battery.

Edit: If you get your wiring wrong you will wreck your detector. Lipo batteries can catch fire (i take every precaution to limit my chances of this happening)

For those not in the know, the "genuine" Imax chargers have a holographic sticker that authenticates it from the 'unoriginal's'.

If you are concerned whether you have an Imax charger, you can go to here;... http://www.skyrc.com/antifake/indexen.php
to identify if yours is real or a Chinese "copy/fake/reproduction/clone/DANGER"... this site saved me $35.00 on eBay after i discovered i had a 'fake' being held up as an 'original'.

It's not only the 'wiring' being wrong that will play havoc with LIPO's...incorrect V or A via charger can also make them go ppfftttt and release the 'magic blue smoke'... :mad:

That's why i went the extra and bought a RevoLectrix PL8 charger...exyyy, but i got mine used with extra's in VGC for 1/2 price of new. Hobby forums are such great value... ;) :lol: :Y:

Cheers
Gypsy

BigWave said:
I only find the 4500 harness a nuisance on hot days where it limits air-flow and requires sweat/salt to be washed off regularly.
I personally find the balance of this machine to be great, and only need a bungy when swinging the bigger coils.
The original bungy that came with the machine was difficult to clip on/off, but the newer ones are very easy to use, and I don't have an issue with using them.
All in all, my only complaint is the harness in the heat.
Okay so what does the new bungee clip look like ? My 4500 was purchased about March this year. The clip on my bungee is a pain to remove/ replace so I mostly don't use it for that reason. It is good to use the bungee as it makes the 4500 just float over the ground.

nuggetino said:
I know it's a bit after the fact but the SDC sounds like it'd have suited your needs perfectly. Especially with extra coil options becoming available. I suppose the GPX wouldn't lose much in value if you decided to sell it on and save money on a modified set up

Yes indeed - I spent a lot of time considering both these detectors and while the SDC was the favorite the GPX won in the end due to its versatility.

I have to agree with Wishful - my bungee cord clip is getting cut off and replaced with something a bit easier to clip on and off.

Cheers
Keith

This is the newer Minelab bungee that comes with the Pro-Swing harness, and is a great design.
It clips on/off quickly, and is very durable. Not sure why it's not supplied with all Minelab harnesses.
The original with the plastic locking gate was a dog.
1506888323_bungee.jpg

Latest posts