Western Creek again

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes as I'm sure your aware Doug you need something to give you some respite from the heat after being out in it for hours. Not much fun returning to camp and sitting there till sundown with the sweat rolling of you :Y: I usually head back around noon for a bit of a nap in the cool and out again in the cool of night ..................... mind you some nights there is not much of the cool around :rolleyes:

Bogger said:
Yes as I'm sure your aware Doug you need something to give you some respite from the heat after being out in it for hours. Not much fun returning to camp and sitting there till sundown with the sweat rolling of you :Y: I usually head back around noon for a bit of a nap in the cool and out again in the cool of night ..................... mind you some nights there is not much of the cool around :rolleyes:

You are not wrong there Bogger, that's just what I was doing coming back to camp at noon and sitting in the camp with sweet rolling of me.
That's why I came home early, and not in very good shape, at that I will admit. Time for a bit of comfort I think.

Cheers Peter

Prooz said:
Bogger said:

You are not wrong there Bogger, that's just what I was doing coming back to camp at noon and sitting in the camp with sweet rolling of me.
That's why I came home early, and not in very good shape, at that I will admit. Time for a bit of comfort I think.

Cheers Peter

Yes found that even when you got back as said the heat was just stifling ..................... tried the chair in the shade, hammock in the shade, cold shower but it's relentless so out come the genny and the air con. I checked the exhaust outlet outside the camper and the air coming out was actually to hot to hold your hands under. Now I chuck the portable air con in the back every trip, it's just a cheapy but does the job and a 2 kVA runs it no problem. Dean from DD Leather even made a cover up for me so it doesn't get knocked around in the back of the ute .................. pretty good for a six pack ;) Thanks Dean :Y: I had a window unit mounted before and was great as used to blow straight across the bed but was a bit of a pain to carry and set up ................. just a few ideas :) as nothing soft about it the heat just knocks the bejeezus out of ya after a few days and then into weeks.
Like yourself it headed me home a bit earlier than planned also. Hope we catch up some time ..................... I'm usually mostly in Long Gully and Dells as camp on the fence line and Kev gives me a key to the gate so saves moving camp but damn there is a lot of ground to cover. I was going into Dells up along the fence toward Sandy Creek and was taking an hour on the Quad just to get there. They were doing a section of the fence a few weeks back when I was there ................... a section = 8K's :rolleyes:. I think last trip saw 650K on the quad speedo would hate to walk it :)
Bottom line ............................ she's damn hot up there :Y:

1507891133_air_con_cover_2.jpg

1507892368_camper_air.jpg

Slight contrast to the greatest swimming hole in OZ ..................... Fruit Bat Falls now that would be nice to have next to camp :Y:

1507893065_fruit_bat_falls.jpg

The bag is the portable I use now and the one on trailer is the set up I had before. Was a small window unit and once camper was up had a Velcro flap that attached it to the window of camper . Was more efficient but a lot to carry around and also set up. Also couldn't get into tool box once set up. The small portables are the go but not as efficient but then your not cooling a huge area either so 30 minutes to get the heat out and all's good. The beauty of the portable is you basically just plunk it down run the exhaust tube outside and good to go and cheap to buy and can be used around the house or shed at home. Do you have van ? camper trailer ? tent ?
:) .

Hi Bogger, just in a tent at the moment, one of those OZ tents stand up in 30 seconds, it's been very good but getting old, now the fly screen zippers don't work
anymore so not sure what i'll do next.

If I got a camper, then I can't carry the quad around, would have to get a ute, one thing leads to another ha ha.

Cheers Peter

Pete sent you a few pms
Camper and quad no problems ...................... heres an example but no need to spend 70K on the Kimberly set up :rolleyes: I built my rack for $400. I went the rack even having a ute but also another 4B and figured with rack you can tow with any vehicle and not restricted to having to take the ute or even my own vehicle for that matter :Y: Also found the only way could load would be length wise as across tray the quads just to long.
1507941778_kimberly.jpg

Mackka said:
Hey Bogger,
Those falls are just beautiful and again I am very envious.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Cheers
Mackka :)

Mackka done a few K's around OZ and have to say Fruit Bat Falls in Cape York is one of the memorable places. The water is crystal clear, a shame you can't camp there but then probably a good thing also as not all people respect the bush sadly :mad: Cape York years ago was 4wd territory but now their dragging 30 Ft vans where you used to struggle to get a 4B.
This used to be a rocky creek crossing on the Bloomfield track that you walked before you ventured in and now :eek: When I say now this was 2015 ..................... could be traffic lights there by now :rolleyes:
Mackka we don't live for ever .................. stick it on the to do list ..................... that's the soon to do list :)

1507944713_woobadda_creek_bloomfield.jpg

Thanks Bogger.
Met a bloke I worked with 17 years ago the other day, he hadn't changed except his hair was greyer.
He told me he just completed a motor bike ride to the Kimberley's and Cable Beach. said he was going back as it was the most beautiful place he had ever seen.
Bucket List, that was what he said everyone needed.
I must make one and do something about ticking them off.
Thanks Bogger.
Mackka

Hi folks,

Just returned from Western Creek again and had a good time chasing gold but I have had to return home without my gold sniffer Jack. 8.( He seems to have got lost while checking up on me on his way back to the ute. A short 400 metre walk back along a gully.

Stayed an extra day looking for him all over the surrounding area with no luck. It was up around 42 degrees and I believe that he headed up the wrong gully which was away from the nearby dam. No tracks around the dam. Geoff and Shirley will keep a look out if he manages to walk out of the hills.

1511943243_goldmonster1.06gm.jpg

Managed to blood the Gold Monster 1000 with a nice 1.06 gram piece of leaf gold. Had the monster on Auto Ground Balance Plus and All Metals and just ignored the false signals. Found plenty of rubbish including foil, tacks and tin. Gave up using the monster after it shone. Checked the area with the SDC and found nothing else. It's a big thumbs up from me. :Y: :Y: :Y:

1511943538_jackandhispatch.jpg

The last photo I took of Jack sitting on top of the patch now called Jack's Patch.

1511943731_patch.jpg

This patch is a mound between the main creek and a little side creek measuring about 20 mtrs x 20 mtrs. Pulled 16 pieces of crystalline gold out of there for about 5 grams.

1511943908_novgoldwc.jpg

Total gold for the weekend. :)

I'm hoping that I will get a call from Geoff and Shirley sometime in the next week, here's hoping.

Probably won't get back up there till after the wet season now.

Cheers

Doug

Great news Doug and Carol,
Found Jack and plenty of gold too!
42 degrees is more than enough to keep us away, but Robyn is getting keen to fire up the SDC somewhere, so southish looks like the go after Christmas.

Rockhunter62 said:
Hi folks,

Good news, just heard back from the station and Jack has turned up. Going back up there in the morning to pick him up. :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

That must be a huge relief for you and I'm stoked for you both well done .
To stud dog , mate that was well and truly below the belt !

Doug & Carol
So glad Jack has turned up. :Y: Would have been extremely difficult to head off without him, especially with the high heat.
Congrats on the gold. You're so lucky to be so close to it. Cheers Andy

It's great to see Jack has turned up. It's easy for a dog to get distracted with a bit of wildlife about but they rarely get lost. Nice gold Doug, you'd have to happy with that :Y:

Latest posts