Emmaville NSW Fossicking Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Am planning on doing a road trip to Emmaville area, just to do some fossicking for sapphires and detecting. Would prefer to go to a fossicking area. These sites seem to vary in whether there is "rubbish" to let the tourist rummage around in.
Can anyone who has been in this area give me an idea or any info. I don't want to head bush by myself hence the fossicking areas idea. Thanks Angela

i can do gold but nothing else
Emmaville at 6 o clock in the first photo
Emmaville at 12 o clock in the second photo
hope this gives you some idea
1506221628_emmaville..jpg

1506221649_emmaville.jpg

Thanks for that marksman, it looks like an interesting area. I love mooching about old buildings in small towns. Haven't fossicked for sapphires since I was a child living near the Rubyvale gemfields.

Even tho it's called Emmaville Goldfields, You won't find any Gold if that's what you are aiming for, or Old Buildings ... there are only 3 or 4 locations that had any sign of Gold, and it's deep.. like 100m deep in the ground... As for Sapphires, there is not much around Emmaville area either... Emmaville was a Tin area, so you will find all sorts of Minerals associated with Tin... Better off spending a few days at one of the Fossicking Parks, like Billabong Blue or 7Oakes.. Better chance of finding a Sapphire or 2... Most good areas are on Private Land and are No Go areas for us Fossickers now...
A must see at Emmaville is the Mining Museum... Best Gem and Mineral display you will ever see... There is also the Emmaville Geological Centre opened on Gulf Road.. Steve has Fossicking on an old Emerald Mine on his property... Ask at the Museum for Details, Steve may be there as he is also a volunteer at the Museum some days...
Most of the creeks around Emmaville, Glen Innes, Inverell are Dry or close to it as there has been no rain for quite some time now...
Torrington area is also a Mineral area and not much Gold was found there, but lots of Minerals... Torrington is one of the most heavily Mineralized Zones in Australia.. Next to Broken Hill of course.. :)

Most if not all the areas 7.62 has shown are on private property and are no go areas.. Very Rough Country East of Glen Innes.... Kookabookra is about the only accessible area to try... And it is a public fossicking area where you might find Topaz, Sapphires and a bit of Gold.. If you are Lucky.. Very Lucky.... :rolleyes:

LW....

7.62, Don't worry about National Parks and the Conservation area, As these areas are the Only areas in NSW where Fossicking IS Allowed in a NP.. there IS only 3 areas in NSW where you can Fossick in a NP, Torrington has 2 and the other is on the South Coast of NSW.... Just make sure you have a state forest Fossicking Licence and you Will be Sweet.. :Y:

LW...

When are you going down GreenRiver ?... there are 2 Events coming up that have Field trips to Fossicking areas... If you want details just ask and I will put them up... I have NOTHING to do with the Emmaville Gemfest on next weekend.... We have our Own Event(Gemorama) to Plan for Next Year... :) ;) Details will be Posted Soon as I finalize some things... :Y:

LW....

Hopefully in the next month or so, it will still be cooler over the border than up here. If I stay in Glen Innes I will be fairly central to most areas of interest.
The fossicking areas would be better for me.

It was 35 at a mates place at the End of Gulf Road at Emmaville today... :lol: Summer has arrived at Emmaville.. And being 890m above sea level, the Sun is so much more intense than Here... :cool:

Inverell GEM Show.... https://sites.google.com/site/inverellsrocksandgems/home/gem-and-craft-show Going to some Great Locations... :Y:

Emmaville Gemfest. Next week-end.. de Milhous Emerald Mine(Steve's Place) and a 'NEW' :rolleyes: Crystal and Fossil Location.. :N:

LW...

While we're disappointed we'll be missing the Emmaville show, how cool is it that the Inverell Gem Show is on 13th to 20th October and me and the missus will just happen to be in the area at that time? AND, they are doing field trips! With the creeks dry (I've been praying there will be rain during the school holidays - sorry to parents of young kids) and us being new to the area, it looks like we will be having a good fossicking holiday after all. Thanks for all your information LoneWolf here and other posts. If you are in the Inverell/Glen Innes area from the 13th to 26th I'd be happy to shout you a coffee or three. Cheers, Dave.

No Worries Dave, Emmaville is in a bit of a 'Faze' at the Moment. :rolleyes: :) (can't say too much about it :cool: )...

Im Always happy to help . O:) :lol: ..... If things fall into place I might be down there then. :/ .. Perfect Timing for your Trip :Y: ..... With Limited Water in some Creeks, it isn't such a bad thing, cause it means you can get to those 'Out of Reach' Areas that are usually under water.. ;)

LW... :rainbow:

Hi fellas I will be in the Inverell area for some fossiking around the 18th oct for a few days, most likely going to try my luck at seven oaks and billabong blue for saphires and am tossing up between having a look around staggy creek or blatherarm for some topaz, would be more than happy to have a dig with anybody who's keen.
Also any advise on these spots would be greatly appreciated as it will be my first trip to the area

Cheers