Black sand in WA perth area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im looking for an area where I can find black sand close to perth. Im using the magnetite sand for structuring water and I need at least a good bucket full. Anyone know a good spot to start my search. Planning to go out this long weekend. Thanks.
I was thinking of checking around the boddington area for some good creaks

Yes - anywhere along the main southern beach area between the groyne and the surf club building, down near the tideline, where there's often a steep cutaway of the sand. I haven't been there for months, so I have no idea what condition the beach is in at present, but if there's been winter storms, from past experience it's likely a black sand layer will be visible (although if there's a lot of seaweed washed in, the black sand may be hidden underneath it). As you probably know, Cott sand is usually very white, so if any back sand layer is exposed, you should have no difficulty seeing it.

I've hilighted the area that I'm talking about on the pic below to help you find the right area:
1505884507_cott_strip.jpg

I've found another pic that actually shows a little of the black sand (as hilighted). That's only patchy, but when the sand has been freshly and more sharply cut back by waves, a much clearer layer structure is visible:
1505885375_cott2.jpg

Great thanks. Im working around swanbourne atm so I will just take a stroll after work towards cottesloe.

Ok I checked it out and there is a fair bit of magnetite there. No bands of it just patches on the surface couldn't find any when I dug down.

It's a bit laborious, but if you put a magnet inside a plastic bag, you should be able to selectively pick up magnetite on the outside of the bag. Then hold the bag over a bucket while removing the magnet, to release the magnetite into the bucket. Repeat the process until you get enough magnetite. If there's contamination with white limestone sand, washing in a gold pan will concentrate the magnetite component.

Yeah ive made my own 'gold magnet' im also going to put a magnet on the bottom of a gold pan a combo of both techniques will be the trick I think

Latest posts