Best GPX 5000 settings for nugget finder evolution 15"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day all,
I just bought a Nugget Finder Evolution 15" for my GPX 5000. I pretty much only ever detect around Bendigo.
I would really appreciate it if anyone could please recommend settings on the 5000 to get the most out of the new coil. I gave it a first run tonight & found a small 0.11g, but overall the machine sounded very quiet. Which I know is good, but my hearing not the best & wonder if there is anything that I need to do to sharpen it up a bit? Thanks

g day Bullwinkle first I am a firm believe on matter what coil you are using the detector must run smooth and quiet , try this
front panel search mode gen, special ,rx mono , gb fixed.
led screen
vol limit 17
special fine gold
motiom slow
rx 12-15
audio quiet
tone depends on your hearing mine is rs I run 42
stab 10-14
signal 19
target vol very important 12 -14 if you turn it up you will create more ground noise
response normal but I like inv
tk med
these are just a starting point the main thing is to have the detector running smooth and stable the 15 evo are a great coil :) regards john

Thanks John,
I really appreciate your advice mate.
My hearing is also rs, so that works.
I will head out & give it a go today.
Weather's spot on today in Central Vic.
Thanks again, I'll let you know how I go.
Regards Mark

Mark the settings should be ok but all detectors are different so just stay around the setting I gave you run the frequency between 90-105 good luck regards john :Y:

Bullwinkle, old hand (John) certainly knows his detectors and settings for the GT - I consider him an expert on the GPX series and you certainly won't go wrong listening to his advice. I turned down my target volume on his good advice.
The only way we differ is that I like to run my 4500 just a little noisy - that way you know your machine is right on the performance edge for the ground.
I think if it was dumbed down too far when moving into good ground where you could turn up your settings, you wouldn't know - it would still be ultra quiet.
When mine goes very quiet, I know to crank it up a bit.
It also makes me concentrate a little harder, but maybe I have the edge with good hearing?

Not sure but would I be right in assuming that running audio quiet that it narrows down the search pattern so you would have to make sure you have more overlap on your swing?. I don't often run it but sometimes do so just wondering if I should slow down a bit when I do.

If you use normal audio on a 5000 the threshold wavers a little going to quiet eliminates that you do loose a little in depths but its only a very small percentage regards john :)

I use a 4500 and have been running audio quiet for some time now, I agree with Old Hand, you probably really only lose a small percentage in depth, personally I find it helps me be more thorough and persistent where if the threshold is running a little noisy or right on the edge I am more likely to get annoyed with it and move on to quieter ground.

Thanks gents the advice has been fantastic and greatly appreciated. I went out yestersday for a few hours & used Oldtimers settings. The machine seemed to be working quite smoothly. Unfortunately no gold yesterday.
I took a very small 0.1 nugget as a tester for the settings. The signal was barely audible. Does anyone have any advice on how I can sharpen this up or is bit that size just too small for NG 15" Evo?
Best regards
Bullwinkle

Mark I use the same settings as I posted except for 2 I use deep on the front ,if you switch it to deep then you will have to alter the lcd screen settings I find this very good it takes a little time to get used to inverted but that's all I use now .
if you have trouble just PM me regards john :Y:

Try Very Slow and Normal audio, machine will be just as smooth but targets will be a bit louder for you. Also make sure you experiment with your Tone control as we all have different hearing.

What headphones are you using?

Thanks PhaseTech, I was just using the Minelab Koss UR 30's, but now going to use the Pro-Sonic booster that came with the machine. Maybe by plugging the headphones in also? I did this with the 11" Commander coil & it seemed work quite well as my hearing is not the best.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ur30s are a little mellow. If your hearing isn't the best, then you may have to get your Target Volume up to 15 or so.

Plugging your headphones into the Pro-Sonic will give you a little lift in signal and you may find you can back off your Target Volume on the gpx a touch.

Thanks mate, I'm heading out this arvo for awhile so will see how I go. I really appreciate your advice.

Hi guys,
I went out this arvo for awhile and unfortunately even using the pro-sonic turned right up the machine was barely audible for awhile and then just about blew my ear drums out. The same happened when I plugged the headphones directly into the battery.
I also noticed that there was intereference where the coil chord connects into the box. So I'll take everything back to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can sort it out.
The upside is that while nailing this problem down I have recieved some great advice on settings for the 15" Evo & Gpx 5000 from Oldtimer, PhaseTech et al & learnt heaps. Hopefully I'll be up and running in few days. So thanks everyone one!
I'll you know how it goes, just in case anyone else has similar.

G'day all,

Just to let you know that thanks to great advice from Old hand & PhaseTech I have now got my new 15" evo coil Purring like a kitten.

I found a tiny 0.13g piece last night in an area that I had previously done thoroughly with the 11" commander, which is a very good indication.

The biggest benefit is that getting the new coil forced me to learn a lot more about the settings on my machine and not be afraid to make some adjustments. If it all goes crap you can always go back to factory preset and start again.

This is a fantastic site for objective invaluable advice from experienced prospectors.

As an aside, keep an eye out for snakes in this first burst of warm weather. I had close encounters with 2 of the buggers last night.

Latest posts