Coin and relic detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my Explorer SE has died and cannot be revived so I am chasing a coin and relic machine. I don't want to part with any cash atm but am happy to pay with Palmer River Gold if anyone is interested. Cheers, Rick

Hi rick, you could always grab a cheap chinese machine online for under a hundred. Down side is you have to like digging alot. Discrimination is almost non existant but depth range is about 8in.
My rusty tent peg collection is proof of that.
If you want to drop by and have test swing with mine youre welcome to.
Cheers, shannon.

Hey Rick, whats up with the Explorer? Would you consider parting with it for postage cost?

Apart from that you probably want to look for another FBS machine, they are pretty durned good. Or a Fisher F75LTD or Whites V3i, any of the high end gear really...

The plastic housing was a bit sus when I got it second hand but I repaired and it has been a ripper of a machine on small silvers and relics. But the plastic finally gave way so I took it to George at NQ miners Den and as I suspected Minelab don't repair them anymore so I left it with him as he had another old machine that he was going to try to repair with the parts. He offered a good deal on another machine in return but I'm not working due to the wet weather atm so I'm not keen on parting with any cash. I know gold is currency but The Minister would not be amused with cash leaving the house for a detector. :)

The silly part about all this is that I parted with an Etrac to buy a GMT then thought "you dill now what are you going to do when you want to hunt relics" so I bought the Explorer. Message to self Think things through a bit before you jump in!! :8

I always wished my explorer would have come in a Teknetics housing/rod package...

I'd go a MXT over a Delta, but I'd probably take an Omega over a MXT. Depends on how much you think the dual frequency makes a difference. And if it does make a difference then get a V3i :D

Hi all,

Out to get my first detector for fossicking once I pay my rego in two weeks. I want it mainly for coin and relics. For copper, silver and gold. I''ve looked at heaps and would like some feedback.

I want to use it in all different types of terrain conditions from beaches, parks, scrub and older historical areas and anywhere else good for fossicking. Water proof would be a advantage, as I do like to wonder weather I'm wondering through think scrub or creek areas.

But on another note I would like to use it for gold also, not a lot but when I'm going through a gold area then I can use it. Or should I save and buy a decent one for gold down the track? As I wouldn't do gold as much.

Price wise, I don't want to go all out price wise seeing it's my first, would be willing to spend something around the $2500 Mark. I always think spending a bit more is better, same goes when buying cars, computers etc etc.

Thanks.

If you have that much re a budget and mainly want to look for coins/relics you have several top class machines to choose from. Have you ever detected before and do you plan to only do it sporadically and give it up in a year or so? That's the hard questions as this hobby has a turn over rate of guys thinking they can find heaps as they see others doing.

Be prepared to do the time swinging and more importantly reading/researching. I have a few good finds from time to time but I average about 2 hours a week reading and about 6 hours detecting.

If you have never used a detector before, want to give the hobby a try, I would go for a mid range all around. Several good models such as Garret ACE 350, AT. Minelab Safari, 705. Fisher, Whites and the one I learned on was a Tesaro model. If your only going to look for gold at times and mainly coins/relics don't buy a solely gold machine as you will be digging a bunch while looking for coins/relics.

Good luck.

Martin said:
Hi all,

Out to get my first detector for fossicking once I pay my rego in two weeks. I want it mainly for coin and relics. For copper, silver and gold. I''ve looked at heaps and would like some feedback.

I want to use it in all different types of terrain conditions from beaches, parks, scrub and older historical areas and anywhere else good for fossicking. Water proof would be a advantage, as I do like to wonder weather I'm wondering through think scrub or creek areas.

But on another note I would like to use it for gold also, not a lot but when I'm going through a gold area then I can use it. Or should I save and buy a decent one for gold down the track? As I wouldn't do gold as much.

Price wise, I don't want to go all out price wise seeing it's my first, would be willing to spend something around the $2500 Mark. I always think spending a bit more is better, same goes when buying cars, computers etc etc.

Thanks.

Hi Martin, in layman's terms looks like you are looking for a VLF machine which provides a "reading" of what's under the ground so you can get an indication before you dig if its ferrous or non ferrous and where on the scale of things it sits. Perfect for relic hunting.

Gold machines are Pulse Induction and don't provide much info on the target but handle mineralised soil. Not many machines could be said are Gold and Relic combined so be careful about being told a VLF will find gold. In real conditions you need a PI machine to find Gold

Your $2500 spend will get you into the top section of machines, you may also consider a second hand VLF machine for a quarter of the price to get you started and then make a more serious decision later. My older Exterra 70 would be a couple hundred on Ebay yet is a pretty good relic hunter. My 2 cents worth. I use a waterproof coil so other than dropping it in the drink I can go 1m under water with it when required.

Thanks for the replies.

I do a fair bit of fossicking / scrounging around older areas as it is and it's time to get more into it and start targeting under the ground more instead of doing what I do now.

I won't worry about gold at the moment, I'll look at that in future then. I will just focus strongly on coin and relics, which is what I already do... I will probably go back over some of my scrounging that I've had some luck on while scratching around the surface.

Originally I was looking at GTI 2500, Safari or E-TRAC.

Ctx 3030 take some beating if gold is taken of the table, and only a little above your price range.

It might be an idea to look at buying 2 machines at your price point.

One could be a waterproof beach machine like a cz21 or whites beach hunter 300 which are both multifrequency and a vlf
like the MXT Pro which has a prospecting, relic and coin hunting mode.

The CZ21 is a brilliant machine for salt water and includes a discriminator with multi tone.

The 300 has 3 led coloured lights for different types of metals with a different tone for each one.

If your taking gold off the table have a look at a Whites V3i. 10 x turn on & go detecting programs + 3 x frequencies which can be used singularly or simultaneously. Still has a prospecting program - not sure how it would go but it runs at 22.5khz frequency if you did want to try for gold. All Whites coils are waterproof too so may suit unless you want to go diving with it :lol: ?

If you've got the cash I would get the best machine you can afford, even if it has a steep learning curve, to suit your needs. It will save upgrading down the track & once you "learn" it you should appreciate having a machine with more capability than a low-mid range detector.
Or like Wolf says get 2 x detectors to suit what you want?
The downside is there are a fair few good machines about, lots of opinions & choosing is getting harder. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Some great detectors have been mentioned by all. I will just do some follow up research now.

Gold will be taken off the table for sure. I will worry about that more in future.

I have looked at the Mindlab CTX 3030, it has lots of features and would be a good investment future proofing. I like the idea of it being fully water proof, it's also getting some great reviews. So I'll have a think about that.

Looking at the Spectra V3i now also, just going through some videos and reviews. Looks like a great detector also.

Thanks

If I had $2500 for another detector right now I'd get the CTX, bit of a steep learning curve but has plenty of presets and they are certainly getting rave reviews. Awesome for the beach and creeks/rivers.

Thinking about it a CTX and the new SDC 2300 would be about the same price as a GPX 5000. Both waterproof too. :)

Latest posts