Grampians

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading over there with the family in the school holidays. Know you can't detect in the NP but been looking at some areas around Stawell and Moyston . Just wondering what the ground is like over there compared to my usual haunts(marybourgh dunnolly talbot)

If you have a look here http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShareVic/index.html?viewer=MapShareVic.PublicSite&locale=en-AU
the dull green is state forest. Cross reference with geovic http://er-info.dpi.vic.gov.au/sd_weave/anonymous.html
Illawarra sf could be ok sw of Stawel.
Looks like a few pockets around rocklands resevoir.

I have no idea about access to those areas, being state forest you are usually fine, but around reservoirs they often fence them off to protect water supply if it's used for that. But in that case it's normally made a state park.
Anyway have a look into it.
Have a great trip and post some pics, that's one spot I haven't been to and wanted to see.

Swinging & digging said:
i don,t think there is much public land as there is in the other areas you mentioned.
Yeah looks like there's not too much ground but sure ill find somewhere to have a swing(that's if I'm allowed)

Thanks OP will have a look at that tonight. Best you put it on your to do list , been there before pre gold fever days and there is some pretty impressive scenery over there. If you end up there you've got to do the hollow mountain walk.

There is a few, very few spots around the Mafeking area, but most fall on private or NP land.
In Moyston you might be lucky enough for someone to allow you to detect.

There is a track leading towards Mt William from near Pomonal, I am not sure where the NP boundary starts though.

My Internet is painfully slow today, just one of the joys of using NBN Satellite :) I will take a look at some maps later, I may know a spot that may fall just outside the NP that you might like to try.

Latest posts