First joint trip etiquette

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys heading out for a swing with a veteran prospector who ive become friends with over the last few months.
This will be my first swing with someone other than myself or the missus and im just wondering is the certain etiquette i should follow and whats the general go with splitting whats found ect TIA

Be Honest,
Show Respect,
Accept constructive help,
Don't detect right on top of him,
Look after each others safety,
And if he shows you a good patch,
Don't go back behind him and thrash the spot.
Don't give the location away to anybody else.
Above all, Enjoy the camaraderie.

Follow the above and you will invited back again.
:Y: :Y:

I thinkg Tharadj Said it all.

A conversation is better than things being left unsaid and open to confusion/missinterpretation.

Maybe broach the subject by asking if they have been out with others / done any big trips before and what the etiquette is in terms of finds and patches.

I've always run on keeping your own finds.

the important thing is not to let the fever take you.

Eski said:
Tharadj Said it all.

I've always run on keeping your own finds.

the important thing is not to let the fever take you.

Follow the above advice and you'll end up with new friends. Don't follow it and you'll have no friends. An invitation is just that, prospecting on public land with like minded people is better than on your own some times. If you were working a lease I'm pretty sure you'd be told the rules.

Good on you for asking the question :Y: have fun I hope you find some and go home with a big grin on your face :D.

The practise we adopt is that any one piece over 15 grams found is shared equally, whilst anything under is kept by the individual concerned.At the end of trip if 15 gram plus nuggets are found the person finding the nugget can retain same and give either smaller pieces/cash to the other parties concerned.
As Secret Squirells says it is so important to set the ground rules first that way there is no misunderstanding and loss of detector buddies.

Cheers

Phil

Great advice.

Any ideas for two novices who are sharing equipment, detector, other equipment & working together to learn from each other?

Latest posts