Grabben Gullen degraded?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am planning a trip next weekend down from the Central Coast. We've been to Black Springs a few times and have worked out where the good diggings are. Hard work but rewarding enough for beginners. Thing is the missus wants to see somewhere new, so we're thinking Grabben Gullen might be the go. I've done a bit of reading on here and it looks like the creek has been treated pretty poorly go over the last couple of years, people undercutting banks, upsetting the locals and generally being disrespectful.

We just have one set of sieves and a couple of hand tools but I'd rather not be part of the problem if fossicking has indeed become problematic there.

So before I head there I was hoping people could answer a couple of questions for us.

1.) how degraded is it really - should it just be left alone?
2.) are there still decent stones to be had or is it mostly worked out?
3.) should I try my luck asking to be invited onto private property? We can move up and down the creek bed without actually tresspassing, right? Any other tips on where to work?
4.) unrelated, does anyone know how much water is likely to be in the creek at the moment - has been very dry the last few months up our way.

Cheers,
James

Hope there is some feedback on this post because ive been thinking about having a go here and up at barrington tops the trip after that

Hi James,
My information to answer your questions some of my opinions could be debated no doubt.
The area near the bridge is free to all, it has been abused at times with massive holes left in creek bank but stones are still found under the bridge and on the public area especially after good floods. Of course everywhere is worked out until you give it a go. The public area is limited to couple hundred metres upstream from the bridge. Owner of km of creek frontage Owen is fossicker friendly especially if you throw him $5 for the day and this gives you access to his km of creek, first gate on western side of the road north of the bridge, house surrounded by mulitudes of friendly sheep dogs. Creek will have water, waders very useful(odd leach) as you will find wash in the deepest holes behind boulders and there is numerous deep leads, some barren but others with gems found in the bank along the creek upstream of the bridge. A word of warning Grabben Gullen is snake central blacks numerous not aggressive but too inquisitive and near the big tree on the public area a big tiger has taken residence and is very aggressive. Dogs and children would need very close watching.
Cheers Ted

1510624433_374005_2842523510949_1376824888_n.jpg

This is a Grabben Gullen snake which decided to climb in a mates sieve he had just put down. Too friendly!

The snakes at Grabby are not to be messed with......
They are quite opportunistic and very agressive at certain times of year , eg. Mating time.
Good for you if you are comfortable handling snakes and thanks for making it clear they are venomous and are to be respected , not trying to be a bitch :D and that is a great photo :Y:

Latest posts