Newbie from Shoalhaven - Gidday to all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Campers. I've been re-infected by an old bug . . . haven't fossicked for decades and now it seems I have rocks in me head again. Flying a bit blind here as I've never used a forum before. My interest was caught by some comments posted (last year I think) about a volcanic plug in Kangaroo Valley, and I saw that you discuss all sorts of interesting things here! I'm researching saws and cabbing machines, as I have enough material from years ago to sink a ship, and some of it is quite good.
Hmm, we'll see where this leads . . .

Welcome mate about time we had some more people from this area ]:D ]:D
there is lots to read on here and dont be afraid to ask questions there is heaps of knowledgeable people that will answer
enjoy and stay safe

Hi Marksman - I've noticed that fossickers are a bit rare around here too these days. Sounds like you're on the track of Billy Bulloo. I more look for the stuff you can cut & polish. Out my way it's all sandstone & siltstone, and Kangaroo Valley's my closest foraging spot. I'll be posting more when I figure this dang thing out some more . . . Cheers mate.

Hi River Rat!...you got my attention mate 8) ..what the hell is 'Billy Bulloo... :D

Maybe this mate
The Legend of Billy Blue

There are today perhaps very few who will recall the legend of Billy Blue. Billy Blue was a part aboriginal who with his gin lived somewhere in the Shoalhaven Gorges. Others persist he lived in a particular cave which for at least two generations has never been found and with increasing years its location is becoming even more remote.

Come what may, there is ample evidence that Billy Blue knew where there was a substantial amount of gold to be found. Billy was a quiet sort of chap who kept very much to himself. Periodically he would come into Marulan with small quantities of gold which he would exchange for such commodities as he required and silently and almost invisibly return to his hideout. Experts of the day were satisfied that it was not alluvial wash golf but had been hacked out of a reef.

Bill was a constant visitor to Marulan for a number of years and never seemed to be at a loss for the precious metal. Many indeed, we are told, who tried to track Billy to its source but without success. So expert was Billys bushcraft he was soon lost to any followers. Seeing he was so well watched he conceived a round about course arriving in Marulan by one route and returning by another. The old hands used to speak of two well known tracks known as McCallums and Bradleys Tracks. It is quite apparent Billy had quite a number of routes through the scrub known only to himself.

His gin would wait for his return and should she espie any intruders she would signal him and Billy would take the queue and quickly take another trail through the bush.

As age progressed Billy got very sick and he had to be given medical aid. He was hospitalised and gradually sank lower and lower. As he was about to die the story goes, he was asked to reveal the location of his gold. He firmly refused but said if they got his brother he would tell him. At this period there was a considerable aboriginal camp reserve near Yass Town known as Hollywood. By the time they were able to get his brother to his bedside Billy had passed on. It is more than possible Billys widow never knew its exact location for his death brought an end to any more gold. So the secret of Billy Blues gold passed to his grave with him.

Prospectors and geologists have repeatedly tried to find its source without success. However gold there was and the older prospectors and locals still aver the gold is still there somewhere down in the Shoalhaven gorges.

Source: The Legend of Billy Blue by SJ Tazewell (1981), in Goulburn & District Historical Society Bulletin No.157.

There was also a book that was available online at http://www.ozhistorymine.com/html/billy_blue_.html

Morning Marksman & Reefer,

Marksman, you are spot on. Haven't seen that article before. We always heard about Billy Bulloo as half-legend, but he and his gold were real enough. There's a gorge named for him out near Tallong which is seriously impressive, tho I've only seen images and a spectacular painting years ago by Leonard Long. Apparently there is a complex ore body around there which is damn near inaccessible. I'm no gold miner, but I've always wondered. I'll check out that book! Thanks U2.

Great Story Ken!...great reading!...now let's see,where was his camp,if we can find that... :p :Y:

funny this has come up again, so many times i have heard the story of Billy and his gold, i got talking to a friend of mine some time back now and was talking about this story, my friends a local indigenous fella, spent his time in the shoalhaven and illawarra as a young one and he got talking about his grandmother and a gold reef she would go to and get a little yellow (in the shoalhaven area) if she was doing it tough which for there family was a bit, he told me of when she took him there to show him, he remembered the exact spot and was nice enough to tell me, i still haven't been there as of yet and am sure it isn't the same spot as billys but is funny to think maybe Billy has been there but was able to keep it a secret to the rest of the people at the time

funny this has come up again, so many times i have heard the story of Billy and his gold, i got talking to a friend of mine some time back now and was talking about this story, my friends a local indigenous fella, spent his time in the shoalhaven and illawarra as a young one and he got talking about his grandmother and a gold reef she would go to and get a little yellow (in the shoalhaven area) if she was doing it tough which for there family was a bit, he told me of when she took him there to show him, he remembered the exact spot and was nice enough to tell me, i still haven't been there as of yet and am sure it isn't the same spot as billys but is funny to think maybe Billy has been there but was able to keep it a secret to the rest of the people at the time
Hi Jamie, Hope you're well. Did you ever get to this spot? I remember years ago, late 90s, I was with my scout group exploring Barbers Creek (down from Long point Lookout) and we came across an old home made sluicing set up and boots, looked pretty old/abandoned. I have always wanted to get back there and explore more and more.

No worries, thought I would try my luck. Any recent new news/stories of Billy's gold, the Crisps, Tolwong Station? I was down at the red track just before Christmas and walked down to the Tolwong Mines and back out the Trestle Track. Love the area.

Yep, that is actually how I came upon PA again, as I remember seeing these stories posted previously, so figured I would ask again a few years on now. Thanks Grubstake for reposting them though. I'm guessing if someone(s) found old Billy's hidden stash, they would be long gone now anyways. I'm also interested in Bushranger gold stealing/hideout stashing stories also from this same area. Been reading a couple on the Clarke Brothers, Ben Hall, etc.

Latest posts