Detecting over old rubbish dump sites.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anyone know how deep the fill over old council dumps would be. Say a dump site 50 yrs ago, since then cattle yards. Is it a waste of time if the machine is going to go berserk over junk? Thanks in advance. Angela

I hit an old ex dumping ground :eek: Cherry pick it regularly... :lol: .Depends what could be in there 8)
Many times I walked away frustrated... :rolleyes: then all of a sudden 8) ahhh found the key to hunting junk infestation :eek: :lol:
The junk will be at all depths but could be good junk not the junk junk that's buried at mine :lol:
You never know if you don't try....many lessons you will learn :eek: :Y:

Well they are never safe places to hunt because when the cover them with dirt they pack it down hard and when it rains the soil sinks in to all the hollows underneath causing voids and they collapse also bits of sharp metal come to the surface through sinkage.

J.

If you are going to I'll offer some advice based on my professional opinion. lt's pretty straightforward, you never know what you will uncover. I say this as an ex scrap metal business owner and from working in management of modern landfills.

I once cleaned and old dam site up on a piggery. I pulled out over 20 tonne of metal among all the hard and domestic rubbish. As I got close to the bottom I got snagged on something sharp. As I dug up what had got me I went ashen faced. Here was old syringe ends used on treating the pigs and it was a long wait getting tested for any nasties.Turned out ok thankfully.

The other example was doing some clean up work on an old council dump. We hit a pile of asbestos about 6 inches under soil, illegally dumped post closure. The other nasty on the site was some medical waste, which turned out to be very low risk, but you never know.Not forgetting some dump piles would have be burnt in times passed, stuff gets pretty nasty after open air incineration.

You could throw a tin of gold sovereigns in the middle of an old waste pile and I would leave it. Not worth the risks for me but if anyone wanted to have a dig I'd suggest good thick clothing, gloves and a face mask at least.

GreenRiver said:
Does anyone know how deep the fill over old council dumps would be. Say a dump site 50 yrs ago, since then cattle yards. Is it a waste of time if the machine is going to go berserk over junk? Thanks in advance. Angela

Are you thinking of detecting the old dump site on the corner of McKenzie Road were they built the footy field just down from shell panorama or the old tyre dump on the road where you turn left and go over the Maroochy river at Bli Bli,

John.

Neither John, the Eumundi saleyards site. I have spoken to the owner and was a dump till the 70's.

GreenRiver said:
Neither John, the Eumundi saleyards site. I have spoken to the owner and was a dump till the 70's.

Arr righto, You wanna give the show ground a hit after the show, you would make a killing, I have often thought of doing that and wondered what I would find, Lol.

It's not worth detecting up Burnside or Perwillowen Road because that was our farms and they bulldozed the heck out of the place and we also owned the land the Tafe College is built on, The Farm houses are still there but I don't know who owns them now,

John.

Think our wires are a bit crossed John, not the showgrounds, it's at North Arm. I doubt if they would let anyone detect showgrounds. I don't detect on any park that has carpet like grass. More of a dirt digger even though it's harder work, keeps me more challenged.

Yeah I understood what you meant, I was just suggesting that you search there, are you talking about the stockyards on the left on the highway ?

John.

Yes HoudiniHarry, very iffy going any places like them. Enough to be aware of the sun and slithery things.

I actually use my little aldi detector on sites like that, it only detects down about 10cm, great for getting the goldies on top. CTX is useless on some sites like that, even on the lowest sensitivity settings.

Latest posts