Need a new/used 4x4, please recommend.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, returning as a new user after some time away....

I've been based overseas for the last two years for work and am set to return around Christmas - for good - back to Victoria. When I was in Australia I had spent a good amount of time detecting in the Vic gold fields and fully intend to pick up exactly where I left off (cant wait!).

So I am wondering if the knowledgeable vehicular enthusiasts can help recommend a used/new 4x4 for me to get around in.

The last one I had was a Nissan Terrano 2 TDI. I am happy to admit I'm not mechanically savvy and selected it based mainly on the fact it had a long bay at the rear. I stripped out the back seats and built a raised platform from framing timber and plywood to create a bed with space underneath to store all my tools, shovel, metal detecting gear and so on. It gave me 1.8m, plenty of room for a shorty like me to lay down fully and get a good nights sleep.

This meant I could go out and detect all weekend and not worry about pitching a tent, just park up detect sleep, repeat, and get back in time for work on Monday ;)

Given the Terrano's are a bit long in the tooth now (or crap depending on your perspective) and hard to come by I'm looking for some recommendations of a similar type of wagon that I can outfit with a bed as before.

I'm not looking for any serious hill climbing monster, but at the same time I do cover plenty of ground over dirt tracks. Fellow Vic detectorists will know the terrain and understand what's needed here [golden triangle stuff not those crazy hills out east]

While my budget is not unlimited I could consider a new car but it I did that I would only be able to afford the one and so would be using it to commute to work every day and back. I've previously gone for used and never spent more then $3K and at that price I could get a 4x4 and separate runabout for work. So the equation here is if I do buy a new car (I mean $10K+) I would need it for both offroad and daily commuting and then fuel efficiency would be a larger factor.

Any advice that does not degenerate in to brand wars would be most welcome.

Thanks

Pixulator said:

I've been based overseas for the last two years for work and am set to return around Christmas - for good - back to Victoria. When I was in Australia I had spent a good amount of time detecting in the Vic gold fields and fully intend to pick up exactly where I left off (cant wait!).

So I am wondering if the knowledgeable vehicular enthusiasts can help recommend a used/new 4x4 for me to get around in.

The last one I had was a Nissan Terrano 2 TDI. I am happy to admit I'm not mechanically savvy and selected it based mainly on the fact it had a long bay at the rear. I stripped out the back seats and built a raised platform from framing timber and plywood to create a bed with space underneath to store all my tools, shovel, metal detecting gear and so on. It gave me 1.8m, plenty of room for a shorty like me to lay down fully and get a good nights sleep.

This meant I could go out and detect all weekend and not worry about pitching a tent, just park up detect sleep, repeat, and get back in time for work on Monday ;)

Given the Terrano's are a bit long in the tooth now (or crap depending on your perspective) and hard to come by I'm looking for some recommendations of a similar type of wagon that I can outfit with a bed as before.

I'm not looking for any serious hill climbing monster, but at the same time I do cover plenty of ground over dirt tracks. Fellow Vic detectorists will know the terrain and understand what's needed here [golden triangle stuff not those crazy hills out east]

While my budget is not unlimited I could consider a new car but it I did that I would only be able to afford the one and so would be using it to commute to work every day and back. I've previously gone for used and never spent more then $3K and at that price I could get a 4x4 and separate runabout for work. So the equation here is if I do buy a new car (I mean $10K+) I would need it for both offroad and daily commuting and then fuel efficiency would be a larger factor.

Thanks

A brand new 4x4 for 10k?

By the sound of it your wanting a wagon type body shell , so in second hand the first ones that spring to mind would be a Toyota GEN 2 4runner or a Nissan pathfinder .

Should be able to find both in fairly good condition (used ) for $10,000 odd.

Pixulator said:

Thanks

Terrano II 2.7 diesels are still around if prepared to wait, I picked up one in fantastic condition inside and out with only genuine 95000 km on it for $6900 earlier this year. As far as parts go being a European model - plenty of parts on Ebay from England. This is the second one I have owned and the first one sold to a mate is still running around with 450000 km on it.

I had a mate selling his 2012 Mitsubishi Triton manual diesel dual cab 4x4 asking $12k
1504916849_lance_hilux_1.jpg

1504916869_lance_h_1.jpg

I'm considering buying my third 4x4 myself, and my current take is an 80 Series (2"-3" lifted) Land Cruiser after having owned an earlier 62 Series, and currently a Mazda Bravo.

For around $12K i'd be looking for one with Gas, and a few 'accessories' (bullbar, swing-away rear tyre, towbar, winch etc).

Alternately, you could also look for a used g/cond. Troop carrier for even more head room in the rear?

Given time, i'm sure you will find a suitable vehicle for that sort of $$, you just need to buy 'smart'...and not the first you see/like,,,remember, your CA$H in the hand is worth more to the seller, than you as the buyer....only relinquish that control once your happy with a deal.

Good Luck, and i look forward to seeing what you decide upon.

Gypsy

Thanks for the ideas.

I supose I used the wrong term I think I mean SUV rather than wagon. I just remembered the Terrano is clasified as a SUV as would the 4runner, Land Cruiser, Bravo

nucopia said:
I had a mate selling his 2012 Mitsubishi Triton

Thanks nucopia, I'm not really after a Ute.

GypsyGoldAu said:
Mazda Bravo
Also want a single cab design, so I can sleep and drive at the same time ;)

bazza2210 said:
I picked up one [Terrano II 2.7] in fantastic condition inside and out with only genuine 95000 km on it for $6900 earlier this year

Wow you don't see many that age under 200000km, nice find.

Dirtdemon said:
Nissan pathfinder

Looks a bit to squat at the rear to get a bed in and roof probably too low.

Lots of videos on youtube of camper conversions on Holden Commodores for example but the head room is going to be nothing once the bed goes in, and that's probably true of all Wagons, I would like to be able to sit up if I need to shelter from the odd storm or two.

So the list so far.
- Nissan Terrano : Have done conversion before, worked well, 1.8m long bed in back.
- Ford Explorer
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota 4Runner

Any others that deserve a mention please give them a shout.

Thanks

Pixulator said:
Thanks for the ideas.

I supose I used the wrong term I think I mean SUV rather than wagon. I just remembered the Terrano is clasified as a SUV as would the 4runner, Land Cruiser, Bravo

nucopia said:

GypsyGoldAu said:
Mazda Bravo

bazza2210 said:
I picked up one [Terrano II 2.7] in fantastic condition inside and out with only genuine 95000 km on it for $6900 earlier this year

Dirtdemon said:
Nissan pathfinder

Lots of videos on youtube of camper conversions on Holden Commodores for example but the head room is going to be nothing once the bed goes in, and that's probably true of all Wagons, I would like to be able to sit up if I need to shelter from the odd storm or two.

So the list so far.
- Nissan Terrano : Have done conversion before, worked well, 1.8m long bed in back.
- Ford Explorer
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota 4Runner

Thanks
You might go through a few red lights if you sleep and drive at the same time mate. (couldn't help myself)
Have you thought about a subaru forester? Much better on fuel and would be fine as a city car too, just not as off road capable, but I have seen them do things I never thought they could do.

hehe..i pulled a Toyota Landcruiser out of a sand bog with my old Forester on Fraser Island..maybe ten years ago. :eek: :D :D ..if I can find it I'll dig up the photo :p ...FOR GENERAL OFF ROAD.. I drive a stock standard Toyota Prado..90series.Great workhorse off road...drives like a limo on the road and the seats fold all the way back to sleep on...but... you'll need a mattress to even all the bumps! ]:D price;..anywhere from 5grand to 12gr. depending on year and condition..mine is 3.4 v6 petrol...good eco..about 10 to 13 litres per 100km depends on load and how heavy my foot is :Y: never used more than 14.5 lts.one to consider among many. :Y:

Territory covers all bases. A few things to look out for on them when buying second hand. Personally I love the way mine sits on the road, comfortable, good handling, excellent underbody clearance. I'm taller than you and I fit easily in the rear with seats folded down, but you can get the canopy that attaches to the rear tailgate giving even more room.

Mechanically they run most parts of the falcons, engine, driveline, even some body parts like doors., as well as interior pieces including seats and door trims. This is the reason I brought one.

Bad points. They are not economical to run, forget the advertised fuel economy rates, I drive like a grandpa commuting to and from work and it goes 14 per 100 in stop start traffic. I thi k you could blow that out to 16+ pretty fast if youve got heavy feet. But big car, big fuel. It goes about high 12s to low 8s on big trips.

Tailgates tend to hold onto water and dirt at the bottom and can rust. Design flaw that gets overlooked, for some of them it's already too late.

Stock tyres released on Territory are pricey to buy, but running the Integrity makes them handle so much nicer. Not much change from $170 a Tyre has been the best advertised price in my local area which adds up.

I got one after I drove the FIL one for a week and a half, that was enough to convince me. I've had mine for 18 months and I still love it. I'd like a second crappy one just see how far they could be pushed into true 4x4 places, but goes everywhere I've needed it to go so far .

Pixulator said:
Thanks for the ideas.

nucopia said:

GypsyGoldAu said:
Mazda Bravo

bazza2210 said:

Dirtdemon said:
Nissan pathfinder

So the list so far.
- Ford Explorer
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota 4Runner

Thanks

Mate good list, although there is one there that I would scratch off, and thats the Ford Explorer. Although its a capable 4x4, and very comfortable, they are renowned as Ford Exploders, and they are very well known for it. Do a google search on it. My next door neighbor had one, and used to bang on about how he has had no problems and its an undeserved reputation, until it blew up. He had it fixed, and it cost him nearly8K.

The Nissan Terrano II is also called the Ford Maverick in the UK and you can get them pretty cheap.

The Original Ford Explorer from around 1997-2002 had huge Law Suits in America due to the fact many people got killed or maimed in them because they kept rolling over, Ford blamed Firestone and Firestone blamed Ford, But there was some very horrific accident where people actially got thrown out of the vehicles at Highway/Motorway speeds, I nearly bought one earlier this year but thought better of it.

John.

Again thanks for all the ideas.

davent said:
until it blew up
Ford Explorer - 2 Strikes and it's out. Actually that consumeraffairs rates the Land Cruiser and 4runner near the top of the bunch.

Ridge Runner said:
The Nissan Terrano II is also called the Ford Maverick in the UK

Yeah I've heard that in the past but to my eye the UK and Australian Ford Mavericks look different to the Terrano, but as it fits the bill I've added it below.

Here is the modified list in no particular order, I've taken a sample from carsales with the price capped at $10K included the number currently for sale in VIC, average age, average mileage and average price.

- Nissan Terrano II - 4, 1997, 221000, $4900
- Ford Maverick - 7, 1991, 324000, $9400
- Ford Territory - 160, 2006, 161701, $8954
- Toyota Land Cruiser - 633, 1995, 374000, $8550
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - 41, 1998, 272000, $7380
- Toyota 4Runner - 7, 1993, 319000, $5100
- Subaru Forester - 97, 2004, 208157, $7940

So not sure what all that means :) But I'm generally eyeing up ones that have not been heavily modified as to me that indicates they have been abused. The ideal purchase is 2 owners - both mum, dad, two young kids - whose idea of going off-road is the car park at Wilsons Promontory.

I probably will drop the Terrano & Maverick because of the age, scarcity, high mileage and the need to import parts. The 4runner is kind of in the same camp but given how reliable everyone says they are it will probably stay on the off chance I see a perfect one.

I'm guessing if any of these are pushing 400'000km then they are about to pop unless the engine had been replace/reconditioned? All the Land Cruisers and 4Runners for sale above are high km's - Of course that's probably just because of the price cap I put on the sample. [edit: price cap does not effect the 4runner because they are all under $10K]

[edit]

As for my offroading needs my old Terrano completely unmodified got me everywhere I wanted to go, so no need to lift them. The Territory and Forester however I'm not sure about because they do not have the natural ground clearance. Having said that caspers action pics seem to prove otherwise ;)

A lot of off roading is about taking the right line.
Remember all wheel drive is different to 4 wheel drive and you won't have low range either.
Totally depends on where you want to drive. If it's GT detecting, a forester would be my pick for your intent.
I push mine a tad harder so I have a Ranger, they are good on fuel too, 12L/100 and that's city driving with 400kg tools and ladders.
But you want a light duty wagon, the suby fits the bill.
Search on youtube "subaru forester offroad"

Latest posts