Solar Storm

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A solar geomagnetic storm has just hit the earth, and is expected to reach Severe Storm Level today and tomorrow.
The K-Index has already reached Major Storm level and is rising.
This results from a major X9.3 flare and a subsequent coronal mass ejection (CME).
The last major flare was in 2006 when it reached X9.0.
Might be interesting detecting, so pack your DD coils.
1504832949_solar_weather_-_5.jpg

1504833051_solar_weather_-_3.jpg

Very interesting, thaks for posting, these storms also effect HF communications.

Get the Tin Foil Hats out Folk,s. 8)
Thanks for letting us know BigWave. :Y: :Y:
I bet there are going to be a few confused operators out there
on the week end. :D :D

Yep,
Would be a wonderful thing if we could harness and store that energy.

Was supposed to be an aurora last night , kept on ducking outside but unfortunately covered in cloud in my area. Haven't seen one in about 20 years but they can be quite impressive. Wonder what the first Australians though when they seen one?

Larry, looks like you're a sensible, experienced and well prepared global traveller. I thought your ma was taking you home, but maybe you've slipped away again hoping to catch up with Money Box's Tass?
Anyway, those protons are only travelling at ~700km/sec (or 2.5million km/hr), so won't have buckleys getting through that protection!!!
They can take out satellites and irradiate airline passengers and destroy moon landings, but you've definitely got things covered :Y:

Been hearing it for the last two days. The spikes are quite frequent on the Zed, couple that with the strong, gusty fronts moving through and it's a real recipe for a rough old time on the detector.

Be glad to get a bit of stable threshold after it's all passed by. :Y:

Cheers,
Shauno.

And shite, I've just arrived in the GT for a detect Sat and Sun. Haven't been out for months and now have to battle wet ground and instability from solar flairs. Oh well at least I'm out bush and just watched the Tigers have a great win. Been a relaxing night and ready to find some gold tomorrow and Sunday. Looks like the rain has cleared. Cheers from Maryborough VIC.

All the best out there this weekend Andy if the Tigers are an omen you'll have a top weekend :Y:.

Syndyne said:
Been hearing it for the last two days. The spikes are quite frequent on the Zed, couple that with the strong, gusty fronts moving through and it's a real recipe for a rough old time on the detector.

Be glad to get a bit of stable threshold after it's all passed by. :Y:

Shauno, I reckon that your Zed has it easy compared to the monos on the GPX. I was heading out early this morning, but may get another hour or two of kip as the magnetograms still look nasty.
1504901277_solar_storm.jpg

Patrick1 said:
It all worked out. Was quiet today.

Definitely! It was as smooth as silk compared to the last few days. First four targets this morning were all little nuggets between six-ten inches deep (for around 1.02gm all up) while just chasing faint ground noises on a patch with the Zed. Winds picked up again around 1:30pm to stir things up.

Gotta love EMI free detecting though. You almost feel spoiled in a way! :D

When I arrived in the GT Saturday for a detect it had all passed, and the magnetogram was the flattest that Iv'e ever seen it in years - was very lucky I reckon.
Minor hit today, but the alert has passed and that solar event region has rotated and is no longer spewing fast protons at the earth. Detect easy.

Latest posts