Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hAyyoUinAU said:
Does the Equinox make all single frequency VLF's obsolete?
Hmmmm

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXTCHyYVNB8[/video]

When doing any of these tests the tester really needs to try act normal, and sweep as you normally do when detecting. I.e. wide sweeps, moving forward and hitting that group of targets from many different angles. Two trash targets either side of the "blade" of a DD coil, with very narrow sweeps across the good target is really giving the detector every opportunity to see it.

PhaseTech said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Does the Equinox make all single frequency VLF's obsolete?
Hmmmm

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXTCHyYVNB8[/video]

When doing any of these tests the tester really needs to try act normal, and sweep as you normally do when detecting. I.e. wide sweeps, moving forward and hitting that group of targets from many different angles. Two trash targets either side of the "blade" of a DD coil, with very narrow sweeps across the good target is really giving the detector every opportunity to see it.

I think he was just utilising the fact that the centre line of the coil is the sweet spot.

Agree very much about hitting it at multiple angles. A must for detecting if you ask me.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Nuggetbuster said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Well the 600 is not an 800. No matter what.
The extra 300 is not JUST for headphones and gold mode.

As I understand it that's pretty much about it, besides the ADVANCED settings, which give you finer control over some settings.

Is there something else I am missing?

I just re-realised (I now remember reading this before I bought my original 800) that the 600 has a slower maximum recovery speed than the 800... So I might not be as successful in very trashy areas...

And I'll probably never know if I was unlucky enough to have the find of a lifetime masked by a nearby piece of junk that the 800 may have picked up due to a slightly faster recovery speed.

I don't know if it's enough of a difference to be concerned about.

The other issues regarding the 600/800 difference don't really interest me as much as that issue.

Oh, well... Once I pay the 600 off in finds, I might sell it and buy another 800 :8

Yeah, I would rather have all frequencies running at the same time, not just 3. Small gold will be missed especially in trashy areas.
At least you know you will have stuff left behind by the 600 that the 800 can find.

According to the Equinox instruction manual, the 600 utilises all 5 frequencies as on the 800 when in multi-mode, the difference being that you can't access the two highest frequencies in single mode.

I think once the 6 inch coil is put on Nox itll get smaller gold then the 11 inch will get! and realistically should get pretty close to what the Gold Monster 1000 gets.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Yeah, I would rather have all frequencies running at the same time, not just 3. Small gold will be missed especially in trashy areas.
At least you know you will have stuff left behind by the 600 that the 800 can find.

Not an issue - in multi frequency, all 5 frequencies are running, just like the 800. The only difference in that regard is that with the 600, you can't select the 2 highest frequencies to use by themselves.

Goldpick said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Nuggetbuster said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Well the 600 is not an 800. No matter what.
The extra 300 is not JUST for headphones and gold mode.

As I understand it that's pretty much about it, besides the ADVANCED settings, which give you finer control over some settings.

Is there something else I am missing?

I just re-realised (I now remember reading this before I bought my original 800) that the 600 has a slower maximum recovery speed than the 800... So I might not be as successful in very trashy areas...

And I'll probably never know if I was unlucky enough to have the find of a lifetime masked by a nearby piece of junk that the 800 may have picked up due to a slightly faster recovery speed.

I don't know if it's enough of a difference to be concerned about.

The other issues regarding the 600/800 difference don't really interest me as much as that issue.

Oh, well... Once I pay the 600 off in finds, I might sell it and buy another 800 :8

According to the Equinox instruction manual, the 600 utilises all 5 frequencies as on the 800 when in multi-mode, the difference being that you can't access the two highest frequencies in single mode.

Just saw your post...didn't see it before I posted my above reply.

EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5 kHz, 10
kHz, 15 kHz in addition to Multi, giving a 3 times (3)
range or ratio from 5 kHz to 15 kHz, hence the 3F3
technology designation

EQUINOX 800 offers 5 single frequencies of 5 kHz, 10
kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, and 40 kHz in addition to Multi,
giving an expanded 8 times (8) range or ratio from 5
kHz to 40 kHz.

They both have Multi, but the 600 doesn't do 20kHz or 40kHz in Multi, it just does the 5,10,15kHz in either single or multi. If it did, then it would mean hardware is the same, and it is just different programs. I doubt that very much.

I have read the user manual inside out and can not find where it states that a 600 can run 20hz or 40hz in Multi.

Nuggetbuster said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

Not an issue - in multi frequency, all 5 frequencies are running, just like the 800. The only difference in that regard is that with the 600, you can't select the 2 highest frequencies to use by themselves.

I think you are reading that wrong, and that doesn't make sense.

Multi Mode means running the same frequencies at the same time, with a slightly wider range.

It doesn't mean it has 5 Frequencies, that depends on whether you got the 600 or 800.

600 does not do 20kHz or 40kHz at all.

Probably explains the 600's slower recovery speed.

" EQUINOX 600 offers fewer adjustment increments and
a slower maximum Recovery Speed than the 800 model."

The manual only states that both the 600 and 800 utilise the same graph in Multi, but obviously, the last 2 freqencies of the Mulit IQ chart are 800 only.
As its clearly stated that it only does the 3 Frequencies. So it would not be suitable for small gold.

Also, Minelab have stated a change and recommend that people run Mulit in Gold Modes, as it is setup better for recovery rather than either of the 2 single Frequencies.

So Multi mode in Gold Modes is actually 2 Frequencies, 20 and 40 at the same time. Not all 5 frequencies.

Not sure if I have explained it or confused you more, but it makes sense to me. lol

It is a bit confusing, though this is an excerpt from Minelab Treasure Talk explaining things:

"Most of the confusion I have seen online revolves around Minelabs newMulti-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency technologyand the frequencies employed by the two detectors. The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers these plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz. This does not mean that the 600 is not employing the full multi-frequency range as part of the Multi-IQ processing. Multi-frequency operation is identicalin the two modelsand provides the same maximum signal response to targets in Park, Field and Beach Detect Modes., The real magic of EQUINOX is in the Multi-IQ technology (not the single frequencies), therefore you can rest assured the EQUINOX 600 matches the EQUINOX 800 in this regard."

So essentially the same spread of frequencies is available on both models when using multi mode, and the all the programs offer the same performance aside from the lack of propsecting mode on the 600. Steve Herschbach also mentions that Park 2 and Field on both models is quite capable at finding gold, so may not be such a great loss having a 600 with no prospecting program.

If it were true that the 600 could only offer 3 frequencies in multi mode, then it would not offer the same performance across the identical factory programs as on the 800. The only downside is the 800 offers a couple of higher recovery speed settings, though setting 3 on the 600 is the equivalent of the 6 setting on the 800, hence I don't think you would be losing out on too much. :)

Here's a link direct from a Minelab rep:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2899144&postcount=25

..and more from Steve on the subject:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4608-equinox-600-versus-equinox-800/

So where are you getting your 800 from? are you putting your name down on a waiting list? cause no one seems to have stock...

Goldpick said:
The only downside is the 800 offers a couple of higher recovery speed settings, though setting 3 on the 600 is the equivalent of the 6 setting on the 800, hence I don't think you would be losing out on too much. :)

Yeah, after sleeping on it, I think the same.

I can't imagine wanting to set the recovery speed to flat out on the 800 too often, anyway.

hAyyoUinAU said:
EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5 kHz, 10
kHz, 15 kHz in addition to Multi, giving a 3 times (3)
range or ratio from 5 kHz to 15 kHz, hence the 3F3
technology designation

EQUINOX 800 offers 5 single frequencies of 5 kHz, 10
kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, and 40 kHz in addition to Multi,
giving an expanded 8 times (8) range or ratio from 5
kHz to 40 kHz.

They both have Multi, but the 600 doesn't do 20kHz or 40kHz in Multi, it just does the 5,10,15kHz in either single or multi. If it did, then it would mean hardware is the same, and it is just different programs. I doubt that very much.

I have read the user manual inside out and can not find where it states that a 600 can run 20hz or 40hz in Multi.

From Page 29 of the user manual:

Minelab Equinox User Manual said:
* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800

As stated, EQ 600 offers 3 individually selectable frequencies (5, 10 and 15) and all five frequencies in Multi mode.
EQ 800 offers 5 individually selectable frequencies (5, 10, 15, 20 and 40) and all five frequencies in Multi mode.
It's in the manual (Page 29, fine print under the coloured graph explains 20 and 40 not available on the 600 but that the Multi-IQ frequencies shown apply to BOTH the 600 and 800) and has been discussed/argued on several forums I'm a member of since it's release.

The differences between the 600 and 800 (aside from this) include:
- 600 has no Gold Mode.
- 600 supplied with wired headphones (but has wireless capability the same as the 800). The 800 is also supplied with the Wireless Module, allowing you to use wired headphones to connect wirelessly. You also get a second charging cable (could be handy down the track if one breaks...who knows what they'll charge for replacements).
- 600 has backlight on or off, whereas the 800 has brightness adjustment.
- 600 has no User Profile save setting, the 800 does.
- 600 doesn't have Threshold Pitch adjustment, the 800 does.
- 600 has Recovery Speed settings of 1, 2 and 3 which equate to 2, 4 and 6 on the 800. The 800 has 8 Recovery Speed settings, meaning it has more adjustments within the same range as the 600, as well as extra settings above the 600.
- Iron Bias settings are the same as stated for Recovery Speed.
- 600 only has Ferrous Tone Break adjustment. 800 has four Tone Break adjustment settings.

Not sure if that's all the differences, hope it helps.

I have the 800 but thinking of getting a 600 as a backup and for the kids to use.

Multi IQ in Gold Mode only runs 20 and 40kHz.

Anyone who thinks Multi IQ means it runs all 5 frequencies in a machine that only has 3 frequencies is misguided.

Even in Multi IQ, GOLD MODE does not run 5, 10 or 15kHz. Its pretty simple and makes sense.
Unlike people thinking that a 600 can do 20 and 40kHz in Multi IQ. lol

Multi IQ means more than one frequency together at the same time. It can mean only 2 frequencies at the same time.

The graph has thrown you off.

Meh. Believe what you like. If you think your 600 can do 20 or 40 in Mulit IQ go ahead, but don't go telling other people they are the same.
They are not

Only the 800 does the full range.

The 800 is 5 detectors in 1.
The 600 is 3 detectors in 1.

cabwoody said:
As stated, EQ 600 offers 3 individually selectable frequencies (5, 10 and 15) and all five frequencies in Multi mode.
EQ 800 offers 5 individually selectable frequencies (5, 10, 15, 20 and 40) and all five frequencies in Multi mode.
It's in the manual (Page 29, fine print under the coloured graph explains 20 and 40 not available on the 600 but that the Multi-IQ frequencies shown apply to BOTH the 600 and 800) and has been discussed/argued on several forums I'm a member of since it's release.

The differences between the 600 and 800 (aside from this) include:
- 600 has no Gold Mode.
- 600 supplied with wired headphones (but has wireless capability the same as the 800). The 800 is also supplied with the Wireless Module, allowing you to use wired headphones to connect wirelessly. You also get a second charging cable (could be handy down the track if one breaks...who knows what they'll charge for replacements).
- 600 has backlight on or off, whereas the 800 has brightness adjustment.
- 600 has no User Profile save setting, the 800 does.
- 600 doesn't have Threshold Pitch adjustment, the 800 does.
- 600 has Recovery Speed settings of 1, 2 and 3 which equate to 2, 4 and 6 on the 800. The 800 has 8 Recovery Speed settings, meaning it has more adjustments within the same range as the 600, as well as extra settings above the 600.
- Iron Bias settings are the same as stated for Recovery Speed.
- 600 only has Ferrous Tone Break adjustment. 800 has four Tone Break adjustment settings.

Not sure if that's all the differences, hope it helps.

You are going off a fine print and reading it the way you like rather than what it is actually telling you. It is saying the graph applies, but obviously not the HIGH END frequencies. I can not believe people actually think the 600 will run 20/40 in mulit mode. lol
Go read the manual properly, and please show me where it says that the 600 runs 20/40kHz. It doesn't.

lol.

Wow... I didn't think something so simple could be so confusing.

800 users, don't downgrade at all, you are missing out.

Latest posts