Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The detector was fine during normal use, not static or facing directly at the sun. It was only after 20-30 minutes of facing directly at the sun (I live in Queensland, Australia) that the issue arose. I rang ML and spoke to a technician. Monochromatic LCD's can be affected by high heat situations (as opposed to the TFT screens like the CTX). This screen was static and pointed directly at the sun for 20-30 minutes on a very hot day.Hi

My heart sank when I saw it. I was all set to walk back to the car but decided to hang about in the shade and wait for it to cool down. The screen cleared and I got a silver ring and a pristine 1910 Threepence a few minutes later, so all smiles again...but I kept checking the screen every now and again.

This is why I do not use control box covers. My GPZ control box and screen get very hot while propecting for 8-10 hours in the heat up here and keeping that heat in will only do damage. The Nox does get very hot also compared to most other detectors, I noticed that the other day after a good 4 hour session in the heat up here.

StoneTheCrows said:
So is there a chance that if there could be permanent damage in the future if it is very hot?

According to the ML technician, it should be okay.

Had a short play with it tonight. Started it up, numbers jumping all over the place, even when held up in the air. Did a factory reset. Tried multiple noise cancellations/ground balances and after turning the sensitivity right down, I managed to get it to settle down a little but it was still beeping away and continually changing numbers between 1 and 16. I tried an air test on a dollar coin - nothing. I sure hope mine isn't a dud unit.

I'll have a better try tomorrow in another location. Maybe my back yard is the problem?

Hi FNQ. I've been reading everything here and also ALL of the threads over on the detectorprospector Equinox Fan Club sub forum.

Lots of people click with it straight away. Others have felt like smashing it against a tree...but after 2 or 3 sessions they LOVE it!

Like you said, get away from your house, make sure all connections are secure, just use defaults for the first few sessions. And maybe pray that yours isn't a dud :| It would be the first one that I've seen come across the forums if it was.

Good luck :Y:

Thanks Northeast, your post gives me hope everything will be sweet. I will double check the connections as you advise.

Try the noise cancel

in saying that, there is a electrical interference in my area that will make the NoX and my 705 sound like a piano, jumping around. I blame it on the local spies texting home but don't really know what the source is.

Might be worth driving to your local park to see if the problem dissapears.

FNQ said:
Had a short play with it tonight. Started it up, numbers jumping all over the place, even when held up in the air. Did a factory reset. Tried multiple noise cancellations/ground balances and after turning the sensitivity right down, I managed to get it to settle down a little but it was still beeping away and continually changing numbers between 1 and 16. I tried an air test on a dollar coin - nothing. I sure hope mine isn't a dud unit.

I'll have a better try tomorrow in another location. Maybe my back yard is the problem?

I can run my NOX in my house, even at the workshop.
Sounds like something is definitely not right. Keep us posted please.

Wasn't going crazy this morning (go figure??) but still wouldn't react to coin air tests. Checked the connection and tried it down the park, no joy.

Spoke with Minelab and at their request have posted the unit back to them. They are refunding my postage and are sending me a different unit. No issues there! Seems I'm the very first punter to have a drama like this.

Latest posts