Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A carat is a unit of weight. It's used to describe diamonds and other precious gemstones, such as pearls. One carat is equal to 200 milligrams, which is the same as 0.2 grams. A two-carat diamond would weigh 400 milligrams (0.4 grams).

A karat, on the other hand, is a measure of purity when referring to gold. You may have seen different types of jewelry referred to as 14-karat gold or 18-karat gold.

I will stick with what I know and what the books say.
Makes sense and allows for no confusion.

In the United States, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sets the rules for marking jewelry with a karat value. Under FTC regulations, pieces of jewelry that are 10-karat or greater should be stamped with either a K" or Kt."

Americans always love confusing everything. lol

Spent 30mins at a park today and found my first metal button.
Will upload pics after I have spent a bit more time with the 800.

So far, very user friendly, works flawlessly. It is very good at ignoring nails, :) :Y:

And the yank's have always been good at bastardising the English language when it comes to spelling and pronunciation. For instance the color of their gold is the same colour of our gold then there's gaol and jail. So a Karat and Carat could be a bit confusing for some I'd assume hence the stamping. If Walt Disney was still around we might have seen a Bugg's Bunny cartoon with Bugg's detecting carrots :lol:.

eBay Australia is currently offering 5% discount on Equinox 800's using code PICK5 at checkout. Free delivery.

shmiff

For some unknown reason i like buttons, and the EQ picks them out nicely ringing in at a nice solid 12. look forward to the pic.
hAyyoUinAU said:
Americans always love confusing everything. lol

Spent 30mins at a park today and found my first metal button.
Will upload pics after I have spent a bit more time with the 800.

So far, very user friendly, works flawlessly. It is very good at ignoring nails, :) :Y:

groovydudes said:
When the 705 or the AT series came out, was there this much fuss? People going over old spots finding new treasure?

Probably not as much fuss.
They weren't multi frequency machines. They were and are ok, proven work horses, but nothing exciting. They were revolutionary maybe in weight, and price. And a few user friendly features.

The Equinox kept that ball rolling but added the multi detector VLF in one feature.

The Equinox 1000 will replace the CTX 3030. It will be Multi IQ and have visual display as well with target ID in 3D. (just a rumour I made up because someone said it) :D :D :D

Seems I had it mixed up....

"The karat level is stamped on each piece of jewelry. In the U.S., karat is written as K. In other countries, karat is also written as a C"."

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/mathematics-statistics/differences-between-karat-and-carat/

"What is a gold karat?

A 'gold karat' is exactly the same thing as a 'gold carat': it's simply that in US English the word is spelled with a K instead of a C.

The English have been spelling the word as 'carat' since around 1300 and this is the spelling that continues to be used in the UK, Australia and other countries.

When it comes to gemstone mass, US English spells the word as 'carat' ... just to add to the confusion!
Gold hallmarks

The different purities of gold are usually identified by a hallmark (or stamp) with the number of carats accompanied by a letter or letters.

For example, depending on where your jewellery was made and the stamps available to the maker, for 18 carat gold you'll most commonly see: 18, 18ct, 18kt or 18k marked on the metal. "

https://simonewalsh.com/blogs/handmade-jewellery/all-about-gold-karats-carats

Not confusing at all. :Y:

I went to school with a girl who's surname was Karat, her hair was bright orange, believe it or not. :D :Y:

Hmmmm, better kick myself up the backside and get back on topic.

I can get an Eq 600 from Anaconda locally 5 mins up the road but I really want the 800........ and they don't have any....... :(

Heatho said:
I went to school with a girl who's surname was Karat, her hair was bright orange, believe it or not. :D :Y:

Hmmmm, better kick myself up the backside and get back on topic.

I can get an Eq 600 from Anaconda locally 5 mins up the road but I really want the 800........ and they don't have any....... :(
Miners den have some in , I believe Heatho

I'd say the 600 is a good option, but you'll still have to get some headphones if you want to be wireless.
Anywhere between $80-$170 depending on what you go with. Or just use any wired headphones for starters, and you'll soon find enough goldies to buy some good Low Latency ones :cool:

The NOX strikes gold. Second run at the park.
I was excited I got another button, only 2x 30min sessions, then to my surprise, looks like a gold link of some sort, 14K gold.

Very impressed with the EQX800, found about 50/50 junk, so that is a good ratio for me. Treasure in every second hole.

I am still getting used to the tones, and only digging shallower targets for now. I have not yet sorted the right plug shovel, so just using a hand trowel thing.

What got me was the bullet shell, considering it was an old primary school site. Anyways, will swing around some more this weekend hopefully.

Oh. And I don't know much about buttons. The silver coloured button looks more modern, the other looks like a brass button. Not sure. But cool nonetheless.
And the gold link thing weighs 2.5grams

1521181680_20180316_161506.jpg

Latest posts