Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works great on first lengthy hit out. I have been spoiled to have a mates Deus at my disposal for a couple of years nowi was always keen to replace it because was worried it'd look very second hand when i returned it! Also spoiled to have access to a caravan park. I have been over all the sites over a couple of years in the off seasons, playing around and targeting different coins. Mostly the goldies.

I detect a lot just looking for one and two dollar coins in trashy areas so this post in only based on that. I used the Deus to eliminate all targets bar $1's and $2's. The tone and numbers combined were VERY effective for identification.

Today I ran the equinox over ground i have covered many times. In 'park 1' mode i discriminated out all but numbers 21 - 24. I found a couple of extra gold coins at depth but also dug a bit of trash and some 1 and 2 cent coins that i would have normally avoided. So its a little less target ID accurate BUT i actually found a could extras so no harm in digging a few extra holes. I used the deus in its 'rapid' mode which could explain missing a couple of deeper gold coins. Any other suggestions to hone in on the $1 and $2 coins because thats my main go to mode of detecting when not on the gold fields.

Really like the ergonomics. i'm 6'6" and with the equinox at full length its plenty long enough, gives a nice sweep and theres no flex in the shaft even at length.

Stru

Mate goldies will come in at between 20 and 24 depending on orientation of coin . You might hit a goldie thats been in the ground for a while and give a slightly different reading from the above . Not much you can do about that , yeah 1 and 2 cent pieces will smack in there also . Your on the right track stru . If you want more depth slow swing speed and speed recovery on the Nox programming at about 3 and you will bee cheering

Danny

Trash said:
When I started I put down some targets in the backyard ( only on the surface ) to get a feel for the tones

Then I wanted to bury some , my lawn is way too dry , so I used an area in the garden , that had enough space to swing the coil
& listen to the tones , at depth , to also get a feel .

All The beaches get plenty of Detector action , so dont be disheartened .
Yes I have tried that. I am getting a good feel for the detector.
I might learn coin popping and see how that goes.
The ear

I am not really getting disheartened. I wasn't expecting to make a fortune and I was really just wandering the beach aimlessly to see what was down there.

Gee there is some negative responce's with people arguing on facebook groups. I received mine yesterday but haven't used it yet...one does wonder if there is sour grapes from affiliate parties...

Competition is good for everyone.

And as long as they are taking steps forward, we are the winners.

One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of newcomers who will realise that (luck aside), they will be digging a lot of junk regardless. A detector is only as good as the ground it is swinging over, and requires patience, and time to understand what it is doing and not doing.
I really believe the Equinox will benefit seasoned detectorists (Is that a word???) over newbies.

Besides a bit of EMI chatter, I haven't heard of any other negatives on the NOX. Seems like no one want the 600's. Price diff might not be enough.

rockdev said:
Gee there is some negative responce's with people arguing on facebook groups. I received mine yesterday but haven't used it yet...one does wonder if there is sour grapes from affiliate parties...

Mr Garrett's kids have been busy keyboard bashing. :/

Guess the multi freq would be helping on the EMI. What mode where you running in? Did you try a few diff ones to see if EMI got worse or not?
I gather noise cancelling didn't help much at all.

HouseholdDog said:
PhaseTech said:
Have you tried any parks near you with your new machine ?
To be honest I am a little nervous digging up parks.

I did have a go through one park, just for a test run but never dug anything.

Was getting responses for sure. Including one that rang up very high. I think around 34 solid.

My pinpointed arrives tomorrow so I may pluck up the nerve after I have mastered it.

It seemed a little surer on the targets in the park. Why that is I don't know.

Hi mate, been watching your progress and thought Id give some tips. Firstly, thanks to Nenad for my Equinox 800 that arrived last week with my new Deteknix pro pointer ....if you are thinking of buying anything, check first if Nenad sells it, great service and communicates unlike the big name store fronts we all know about.

Ok, to the beach question......do not be disheartened by what you didnt find. The Melbourne beaches are cleaned nightly and on top of that, smashed by detectors. Trust me, unless you hit at 8pm every night on the bay beaches, youll get nothing.

To the parks...Ive come from eTrac and CTX so know the Minelab proprietary stuff pretty well I think. Once the pin pointer arrives, head to your nearest local park/ playground and start wandering. Keep your coil low on the whole swing and LISTEN rather then be obsessed with the VID.....the only way I think you will master the Equinox is to set it at Park 2 which is 50 tones and start getting your ears and brain responding to the sounds not the display. By all means, check what you think you heard by looking at the display but use your ears first.

Im in the eastern suburbs and would be happy to catch up on a weekend to get you on the right track. I can tell you this - since my delivery from Nenad (thats Phasetech for those that dont know), I have found more Goldies in the last week than I can believe and I have found pre-decs in smashed parks that just shouldnt be there.

Keep it up, I was as keen as you at the start and I struggled for a time but its a great hobby and only slightly addictive :eek:

I don't like the EQUINOX because it's the best, or it has everything, or even looks amazing. FAR FROM THAT

My reasoning (which is my own) is purely biased and based on the fact that Minelab and Australia have a few things in common.
And the fact that they can test their machines in one of the best backyards in the world, reassures me every time I have made a Minelab purchase.

If it works, it works. I won't question it.

Heatho said:
Bogger said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
PS. This was not intended to offend anyone.
It was a Minelab Equinox topic that we have been running before its debut to bring information about this great new machine from Minelab.
The only reason for the screen grab was that JP's opinion is important. A link will be supplied in future.
I will ask the mods to delete that post.

Rick

Rick I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure JP's a big enough lad to get over it ;)
Not sure on correct protocol on links versus copy and paste but with Treasure talk stuff I guess technically minelab own it as they are the ones paying for the info ?
For my money the sharing of info is what it's all about and can't see any harm done .................. but that's just my humble opinion. :Y:

The correct way to do it is to post a link, JP is right, we don't want to get other forums off side at all. It is basically copyright material.

No offence taken other than feeling it needed to be pointed out. I completely understand the thirst for info on the EQ, it sure has been a long wait. In future will contact mods and FYI if I have any concerns, I too am spread pretty thin on various projects so don't always get the time to read through the many forums.

JP

Jonathan Porter said:
Heatho said:
Bogger said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
PS. This was not intended to offend anyone.
It was a Minelab Equinox topic that we have been running before its debut to bring information about this great new machine from Minelab.
The only reason for the screen grab was that JP's opinion is important. A link will be supplied in future.
I will ask the mods to delete that post.

Rick

Rick I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure JP's a big enough lad to get over it ;)
Not sure on correct protocol on links versus copy and paste but with Treasure talk stuff I guess technically minelab own it as they are the ones paying for the info ?
For my money the sharing of info is what it's all about and can't see any harm done .................. but that's just my humble opinion. :Y:

The correct way to do it is to post a link, JP is right, we don't want to get other forums off side at all. It is basically copyright material.

No offence taken other than feeling it needed to be pointed out. I completely understand the thirst for info on the EQ, it sure has been a long wait. In future will contact mods and FYI if I have any concerns, I too am spread pretty thin on various projects so don't always get the time to read through the many forums.

JP

All good Jonathan. The members here have been and still are very excited by the Nox, can't wait to get mine as well. :Y:

Well have spent a few hours on the Nox now and have found it very good. High reactivity tends to scramble ID numbers a bit but have found park 2 in 5khz with a lower sensitivity locks onto the $1s and $2s even with high reactivity. I think FP is a little to hot for a new user as its very chatty and even in multi it suffers EMI just like the Deus on suburban turf something the CTX does not suffer from. This thing is fast and needs to be run in park 2 with 50 tones to really be of any use at that speed but seriously this thing seems to be as fast as the Deus but time will tell. Fun machine and you can nearly swing 2 of them at once and be the same as the CTX. I have removed the foam from the arm rest as its a pain but other than that nice to use. Will spend more hours on it in the coming days and learn some more nothing like a new toy.

goldwright said:
Well have spent a few hours on the Nox now and have found it very good. High reactivity tends to scramble ID numbers a bit but have found park 2 in 5khz with a lower sensitivity locks onto the $1s and $2s even with high reactivity. I think FP is a little to hot for a new user as its very chatty and even in multi it suffers EMI just like the Deus on suburban turf something the CTX does not suffer from. This thing is fast and needs to be run in park 2 with 50 tones to really be of any use at that speed but seriously this thing seems to be as fast as the Deus but time will tell. Fun machine and you can nearly swing 2 of them at once and be the same as the CTX. I have removed the foam from the arm rest as its a pain but other than that nice to use. Will spend more hours on it in the coming days and learn some more nothing like a new toy.

Fun is the word for sure GW, glad you said that. The CTX with 17 inch coil is not a fun machine, it is serious, damn serious lol. Looking to put the fun back into my detecting sessions, will still do the serious sessions with the CTX but will be great to have something so light, versatile and capable to thrash around parks and nooks and crannies at the beach.

Hey Harlem.

I will take your advice about the parks.

I have actually traced out some old closed railway stations to see what is there. Particularly the passenger stations.

Will hit a regular park too.

I have got my pinpointed already and will certainly give phasetech a look in if I am looking to buy anything else.

I certainly am hooked though. I went out at 10am and was surprised when I looked at my phone and found it was 6PM.

God my arms ached though.

I have a WW2 site that apparently an aircraft was buried and hundreds if not thousand chunks of alloy everywhere and the CTX is useless with the infestation but the NOX did very well infact gave more accurate ID than the Deus and coins popped in first run so really good testing ground. 50 tone is very nice with full reactivity, I hope the new CTX has this reactivity.

Latest posts