Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
Not sure what you mean as in "important requirement"? I'd say having the addition of multiple frequencies, plus having more single frequencies than the Impact (plus higher 40kHz frequency), and waterproofing would make it a more versatile detector. That's on paper, we'll have to wait to see how it performs in the real world before making judgements on performance, ergonomics, weight etc.

No mate I can tell straight off that it is going to have limited use, just have another look at it and what do you see of not see.

Sold my 505 9 months ago. Reason being we live near the beach and park/terrain. 505 was good in land but beach was bad. Miss the early morning hunts. Wanted the 3030 but wife said no to much $$$. Will be interesting to see what this retails for here in Australia. I find the x terras and safaris are looking old to other brands as in dollar for buck. Cheers

Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Not sure what you mean as in "important requirement"? I'd say having the addition of multiple frequencies, plus having more single frequencies than the Impact (plus higher 40kHz frequency), and waterproofing would make it a more versatile detector. That's on paper, we'll have to wait to see how it performs in the real world before making judgements on performance, ergonomics, weight etc.

No mate I can tell straight off that it is going to have limited use, just have another look at it and what do you see of not see.

Umm, so you can't tell me the design faults, you've already predicted how many are gong to sell, and are asking me to look for something that isn't there. Just cut to the chase John rather than trolling for a response.

Tugboat said:
Sold my 505 9 months ago. Reason being we live near the beach and park/terrain. 505 was good in land but beach was bad. Miss the early morning hunts. Wanted the 3030 but wife said no to much $$$. Will be interesting to see what this retails for here in Australia. I find the x terras and safaris are looking old to other brands as in dollar for buck. Cheers

Prob $1500 for the 800 model. Which is still a great price.

I see this machine as taking all the AT MAX sales. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Minelab, you have outdone yourself yet again. I already sent them an email.

I am happy to see a new detector, and at an affordable price. I like to see more people involved in this great hobby.

There will always be features that people want or don't want, but in the end, Minelab have done well.

Looking forward to seeing all the rewards that people will find with this new machine. Charge via USB....yes please.

Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:

Umm, so you can't tell me the design faults, you've already predicted how many are gong to sell, and are asking me to look for something that isn't there. Just cut to the chase John rather than trolling for a response.

It's not a case of trolling for a response, and if you realized and paid attention and compared it's design compared to the Impact, the CTX, GPX, GPZ the V3i to name a few you will see that there is absolutely no weight at the rear of the shaft under the arm cup, So how do you think that is going to feel at the end of a days detecting using larger coils, They have already made a 13x15" coil for it but without any counter weight under the arm cup I doubt very much if people will be able to use the larger coils.

Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:

It's not a case of trolling for a response, and if you realized and paid attention and compared it's design compared to the Impact, the CTX, GPX, GPZ the V3i to name a few you will see that there is absolutely no weight at the rear of the shaft under the arm cup, So how do you think that is going to feel at the end of a days detecting using larger coils, They have already made a 13x15" coil for it but without any counter weight under the arm cup I doubt very much if people will be able to use the larger coils.

They thought of that. It is on a simple shaft/pole designe with ample room to add a counter weight if that is your thing.

I think you might be being just a bit picky, come on, it looks the goods, and its cheap. What more do you want?

Counterweight is minimal.

I swing my ZED with no harness or hip stick. Its all about how far away from your body you swing the detector really. And taking breaks every 15min
Ideally with a target. lol

Don't argue people, enjoy the EQUINOX

1505563880_800px-equinox-announcement-email.jpg

Here's the pic again so we can enjoy its sexy ass. lol

hAyyoUinAU said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:

They thought of that. It is on a simple shaft/pole designe with ample room to add a counter weight if that is your thing.

I think you might be being just a bit picky, come on, it looks the goods, and its cheap. What more do you want?

Counterweight is minimal.

I swing my ZED with no harness or hip stick. Its all about how far away from your body you swing the detector really. And taking breaks every 15min
Ideally with a target. lol

Don't argue people, enjoy the EQUINOX

Yeah but you ZED has the main body of the detector under the Arm Cup, and even though the ZED is heavy they have built in a counter Balance by mounting the body and the battery at the back.

Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:

hog wash!
people detected for a squillion years with nothing under the arm rest and the control box mounted on your belt!

True, but the ZED is all custom, shaft, body and all.. The Equinox uses universal type shaft style. Easy to adapt a counter weight cheaply.

If that is its only flaw atm, I think Minelab will cop that sweet.

Even just swinging a stick all day long can start to feel heavy or put strain. Sometimes having a bit of weight is a good thing too.

Anyways, we all agree that so far it seems to be a hit. (Minus the weight issue, which no one has actually held one yet to say if it is toe heavy)

madtuna said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:

hog wash!
people detected for a squillion years with nothing under the arm rest and the control box mounted on your belt!

Well there is no accounting for intelligence so more fool them,

Depth and ergonomics are 2 of the most important features when people are checking out detectors,

Ridge Runner said:
madtuna said:
Ridge Runner said:
Goldpick said:
Ridge Runner said:

hog wash!

Well there is no accounting for intelligence so more fool them,

Depth and ergonomics are 2 of the most important features when people are checking out detectors,

says the dude who wants to screw weights to what looks to be an ultra light detector (huge selling point)

Latest posts