Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_N

Brian
Reaction score
I was out at an old shack last weekend and must of come across 10 or more brown snakes.

I almost stepped on one sunbaking which would have been about 3-4mtrs long and as round as my wrist. It gave me a bloody fright and I think my heart is still getting over it.

Now I hate snakes more than anything but love the outdoors so now I'm going to have to pick myself up a pair of snake proof gaiters.

Anyone know a good brand of snake proof gaiters? They must be super snake proof lol

Another suggestion is not to move Quietly make plenty of noise & you will rarely see them. If you have to tie some bells to your laces. Snakes are more scared of us than we are of them. We do still need to take care & watch of course but you will see far less snakes.

yeah they might deaf, just trying to point out don't tip toe through the tulips. Make lots of noise. Heavy feet scare them away better tobreak tigs, crunch the leaves as we stand on than to step beside it all and move silently, or without making those vibrations that can & scare them.

Have a good look in the grass :eek:

snakeinthegrass_zps5f15bd3e.jpg

I regularly use Sea to Summit (Quagmire Canvas) Gaiters, they cost around $70-$80. These will protect against bites from smaller snakes but I'm not so sure about the big ones. Long pants are a must when trekking out in the bush because when a snake strikes it quickly shuts it's mouth on contact, so if your wearing jeans or something there's a good chance its not going to bite your leg, but this will come down to type and size of the snake.

I Use the Sea to Summit ones too. Get worn most days for work - prolly had them for about 2 years now & still holding up.

My local safety shop does sell Snake Gaiters - I'll get some. Not sure what they're name is but they look the goods. About $130...
Cheap insurance

I reckon you'd need polycarbonate sheet wrapped around your legs to ward of a cranky big brown :p

I've been relocating snakes found in houses for over 25 years and believe it or not the snake is just as frightened of you as you are. Most bites occur when people who 'think' they know what they are doing try and catch the bloody snake. LEAVE THEM ALONE. The previous advise about stop, back off and go some where else is the best. I like to think that everyone who who goes into the bush detecting knows basic first aid. For snake bite, try to remain calm, place a compression bandage around the wound site and up and down the limb. Do not wash the site. Do not cut the wound and try to suck out the venom, or any other home made remedy. Just get yourself to hospital. Also alot of snake bits are DRY bites and no venom is injected. However be alert and be careful. More people come to grief in the bush from dehydration, poor preparation, falls and other accidents than snake bite but this is the one subject that everyone worries about. Hope this helps

Hay All,
There are snake proof pants available on the internet. I'd post some links but i'm unable to until I have 10 posts.
Just google "snake proof pants"

Cheers
Mick

I use snake guardz
They are a little uncomfortable
But can apparently with stand a blast from a shot gun at 20 feet
I feel bullet proof with them on in the long grass .
But I should probably stop wearing my thongs with them :lol:
Cost me bout 100 bucks
From nuggets down under mudgee
And my thongs I got from big w for about 10 bucks :lol:

You crack me up sometimes Lbg...to the point where it wouldn't surprise me to actually see you wearing those thongs out in a thistle laden paddock. cheers mate. and don't test those snake socks with your shot gun....Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts