QED users - how are you faring?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably referring to the "Minelab SDC2300 killer" statement I think washgravel not your testing.
The testing you've done is pretty spot on IMO & on in-situ targets I found the QED can match it with the GPX on the targets I have compared. For the price it's a very capable detector no doubt but still fairly raw as far as a consumer detector for retail sale goes IMO.
I couldn't recommend it myself to newbies or anyone really unless they're prepared to persevere with it & can make their own things up like battery packs + spare leads etc. These things aren't commercially available & will differ anyway depending on your own set up + wants, which can also be a good thing, but most just want something straight out of the box - the latest package from Detech does lean more towards that.
I also agree with Dave, despite what others say elsewhere, it is difficult (but not impossible) to use in variable ground especially if that ground holds small gold & you need to set up for that.

mbasko said:
May have to try an 8" Commander that people seem to find good?

In saying all that I didn't get the QED to compare or compete with the SDC.

mbasko it would be good if you could get your hands on a 8" Commander and try it on your QED and compare it to your SDC with its 8" coil.

I'm going to get an 8" Commander mono to try as soon as I can. I don't have my SDC any more so my comparisons aren't head to head & have only been by way of taking the QED to places I had found gold with the SDC & knew that it ran well there. To date with the 6" Detech I have been unable to find anymore gold or get the QED running sweetly there for long periods which I believe is moreso the coil than anything as switching back to the 11" Detech Ultra Sensing Mono the QED runs better over the ground there but still no gold. Would have thought something a bit deeper out of SDC reach may have come to light?
I can compare what the SDC found vs. what the QED finds as I've personally found gold or seen gold found with the SDC ranging from not registering on 0.00 scales to over 1 ounce pieces so I know what it will find & how it handled/handles the ground here locally. Unfortunately I'm just not seeing the QED as a "Minelab SDC2300 killer". I'll try the 8" Commander mono out for sure & hopefully it will get me closer to what I want at that end of the scale.

mbasko said:
I'm going to get an 8" Commander mono to try as soon as I can. I don't have my SDC any more so my comparisons aren't head to head & have only been by way of taking the QED to places I had found gold with the SDC & knew that it ran well there. To date with the 6" Detech I have been unable to find anymore gold or get the QED running sweetly there for long periods which I believe is moreso the coil than anything as switching back to the 11" Detech Ultra Sensing Mono the QED runs better over the ground there but still no gold. Would have thought something a bit deeper out of SDC reach may have come to light?
I can compare what the SDC found vs. what the QED finds as I've personally found gold or seen gold found with the SDC ranging from not registering on 0.00 scales to over 1 ounce pieces so I know what it will find & how it handled/handles the ground here locally. Unfortunately I'm just not seeing the QED as a "Minelab SDC2300 killer". I'll try the 8" Commander mono out for sure & hopefully it will get me closer to what I want at that end of the scale.

Dean at Goldsearch Dunolly consistently finds very tiny nuggets and specimens with his QED. Some QED users that had an SDC have now sold them and use the QED almost exclusively.I have no doubt that the SDC can find find some very tiny nuggets and specimens that the QED cannot but i know for sure that the converse is also true.

Another coil worth trying is the Coiltek 10" x 5" Elliptical Mono Joey on the QED for very tiny gold.

The big restriction with the SDC is the coil size which by 1/r^6 law will restrict the maximum depth on large nuggets.For maximum depth on large conductive objects you must use a larger diameter coil but in doing so the sensitivity/depth to small conductive objects will be dramatically reduced. Their are ways to a make Pi detection system that will go much deeper on mega size nuggets than any existing commercial detector. However such a system would never pass EMI compliance laws and hence is commercially not viable. The deepest gold detector ever developed and used was one from the 1980's by Corbyn.
Here is the link to it a forum:
Reply #5 on: Tuesday November 28 2017 23:59:06 AEDT PM
http://australianelectronicgoldpros...p-gold-detectors/msg43710/?topicseen#msg43710

mbasko said:
I'm going to get an 8" Commander mono to try as soon as I can.
Unfortunately I'm just not seeing the QED as a "Minelab SDC2300 killer".
I'll try the 8" Commander mono out for sure & hopefully it will get me closer to what I want at that end of the scale.

Okay thanks mbasko.

All I can say is my 8" Commander is running nicely on my QED and for some reason seems even better after my QED's latest update.
Apart from the GB number being a lower figure than before once I GB'd over the same ground, to me it is now handling that same ground better than before with the 8" mono. As I said previously I can now raise the gain up to 4-6 which I could not do before especially when the Bias is down as low as 44 and in Mode 1.

Actually on my last trip with the QED and 8" coil I purposely tried it over a hot spot that the 5000 with an 12" evo coil had trouble with.
I was able to GB the QED well enough to handled this particular ground without having to touch the GB whereas the 5000 had to Re-GB a few times.
Although I did not try the 12" evo on the QED.

I believe you are right in a way when you said this in another post:
" I couldn't recommend it myself to newbies or anyone really unless they're prepared to persevere with it " ..." I also agree with Dave, despite what others say elsewhere, it is difficult (but not impossible) to use in variable ground especially if that ground holds small gold & you need to set up for that ".

AEGPF said:
mbasko said:

Dean at Goldsearch Dunolly consistently finds very tiny nuggets and specimens with his QED. Some QED users that had an SDC have now sold them and use the QED almost exclusively.I have no doubt that the SDC can find find some very tiny nuggets and specimens that the QED cannot but i know for sure that the converse is also true.

Is the QED 100% waterproof ................... the complete machine ? The SDC sets up in literally seconds and sure the SDC is quite a bit dearer but then I can re sell my SDC for nearly what I paid for it, in fact probably within $500 of what I paid for it and also within a week such is the demand. ;) I can read pages of accolades on the SDC from hundreds if not into the thousands of users but not to many screaming the greatness of the QED ? Not rocking the boat here but just simply calling a spade a spade :eek:

Ok we're getting a bit off topic here. Like I said I didn't get the QED to compare or compete with the SDC & I'm sure neither have many other QED users. Some may have found that the QED fills their needs for small gold areas & disposed of their SDC so good for them. If I still had an SDC I wouldn't be getting rid of it just yet. Both machines have their positives & negatives but they are very different products! Maybe start up a QED vs. SDC thread for those wanting to debate that topic?
I started this thread to get some feedback on how QED users were going & to share their experiences/ideas & knew comparisons would be inevitable but please don't turn this into a solely QED vs. SDC pissing competition. I'm more interested in sharing ideas on how to wring the most out of the QED over the broad range of all gold size/shapes & ground not just the fly poop. To be honest I think comparisons to the GPX series are the most relevant & useful information.
No the QED isn't 100% waterproof Bogger but then out of the 6 or 8 long term, successful SDC users I know none have ever needed it to be & I don't really know anyone who needs a predominantly prospecting detector to be 100% waterproof! Not much opportunity for scuba diving on the goldfields around here mate :lol:

mbasko said:
Ok we're getting a bit off topic here. Like I said I didn't get the QED to compare or compete with the SDC & I'm sure neither have many other QED users. Some may have found that the QED fills their needs for small gold areas & disposed of their SDC so good for them. If I still had an SDC I wouldn't be getting rid of it just yet. Both machines have their positives & negatives but they are very different products! Maybe start up a QED vs. SDC thread for those wanting to debate that topic?
I started this thread to get some feedback on how QED users were going & to share their experiences/ideas & knew comparisons would be inevitable but please don't turn this into a solely QED vs. SDC pissing competition. I'm more interested in sharing ideas on how to wring the most out of the QED over the broad range of all gold size/shapes & ground not just the fly poop. To be honest I think comparisons to the GPX series are the most relevant & useful information.
No the QED isn't 100% waterproof Bogger but then out of the 6 or 8 long term, successful SDC users I know none have ever needed it to be & I don't really know anyone who needs a predominantly prospecting detector to be 100% waterproof! Not much opportunity for scuba diving on the goldfields around here mate :lol:

Yeah that's fair call .................. living coastal I get to use on the beach if I want plus when heading to FNQ after travelling several thousand K's one doesn't want to be restricted for several days as in tent bound when tropical rains hit. Hence nice to have a water proof machine to be able to use. As you are well aware I'm sure water ingress into Z's and Gpx's can come from simply rain one doesn't need to go scuba diving ................. moisture alone and electronics don't go well together. But again getting of your topic so apology for that :Y:

I have picked up a 8x6 Sadie to try out on my qed and 4500. I was hoping to try it out at Warwick this weekend however works put the kibosh on that.. so I'm hoping to do it next weekend.. had a bit of a play with it in my backyard but only with the qed as the 4500 doesn't like Suburbia.. and all that successfully did was got me excited and depressed that I couldn't go out this weekend..
When running these small coils, eights and sixes so on, whats your Bias B Set on?

Cando said:
When running these small coils, eights and sixes so on, whats your Bias B Set on?

I prefer to set my Bias as low as possible with my 8" coil.
Before my QED was updated the lowest I could set my Bias and detect comfortably with was 46.
However after the update I can now detect comfortably with the Bias set at 44.

I ran my QED with 8" commander, 12" evo, 15" evo and 20" advantage.
I found some very small bits of wire with the 8" comd.
It picked small targets very well.
Once though, I was working a patch where I has found about 10 bits with my 4500. It was very hot to extremely hot ground. I couldn't get it to shut up, with chirps on every step. Turned the gain down and tried different modes.
By the time I had adjusted it, I had lost a lit a lot of sensitivity. I reckon I probably missed a few bits as I wrote them off as ground noises.
My mate got em with a zed though. It just filtered out the ground noise better.

Cando from memory I think I was running the 6" Detech mono around 46-48 to try to get the bias more set towards small gold. My QED seems to find neutral bias above 50 mostly. For example I went out today & neutral bias with the 11" Detech Ultra was at 55. In other areas it's been around 52.
Picked up my smallest bit to date this morning at 0.22 grams with the 11" Detech Ultra.
1512118643_15121165929670.jpg

Enhancer/Booster info:
I had gone out to try the SteelPhase enhancer on the QED but after an hour in the scrubby area had to go back to the Seinheisser RS160 wireless set up. I couldn't get my other wireless modules to work well with the QED/SteelPhase so had to run it as a wired headphone set up. Too many snags in this area to go back to being wired. I tried hooking the SteelPhase up before the RS160 transmitter but it didn't seem to make much difference so ended up running without it. It was fairly steamy today so the patience was a little short for testing stuff out :lol:
No fault of the SteelPhase enhancer at all (also 2 different bluetooth modules haven't played well with the QED now) but I think the Seinheisser RS160's are the best option - for me anyway. The SteelPhase enhancer did work great with the wired headphones but I don't think I can go back to being wired up again now.

Very interesting after playing with mine and learning a few things, mind seems to want to with the detech 11 inch run around the 53 to 55 area aswell as the 14x9 advantage and 15 x10. I reckon the Sadie 8 x 6 will pick up all the smaller bits of wire for me... I won't miss any of the junk big or small
:lol:

mbasko, have been using the Garret cordless system and earbuds with my QED, and can thoroughly recomend it. I also use the Sennhieser cordless, and find the volume control more than adequate. The 8'' Commander coil is brilliant for small gold. I find using buds cooler in summer with a broad rimmed hat.

Back on topic people please. :)
And also keep your inflaming thoughts off
here as well.
Some one is bound to get upset so keep the peace please. :)

Latest posts