QED users - how are you faring?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, cheeky Bugga,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I don't know if they used the earlier model or the one with the updates but it is certainly doing the deed and in a big way.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
Lol, cheeky Bugga,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I don't know if they used the earlier model or the one with the updates but it is certainly doing the deed and in a big way.

J.
It was with the earlier model QED before any updates.

Just got back the QED from its upgrades and auto GB. Wow! what a huge difference! Its a diff machine now. Lots more quiet and handles the ground so much better that I can boost the gain and bias. Been out for only 6 hours with it and the results speak for themselves. Im just using it as a SDC killer with the 12x4 AI. Sad thing is, the Missus says I prob have to sell it next week to get our car back on the road
1509101920_wp_20171027_18_54_01_pro1.jpg

Well done Krisco and definitely nuggets from within SDC territory.
I gather your Bias would have had to be set in the low 42 to 44 range to get the type of sensitivity on those tiny nuggets.
I would think a Bias around the 50 mark and the Gain wound up would not achieve your result even with that small figure 8 wound coil.
However you could prove me wrong.

Well done mate. wow that's nice small Gold.. sell the gold keep the detector... tell her you'll have to go out more often to fine more gold to pay for the car :D
I know how that feels mate,having to sell something your love to keep yourself afloat.. :Y:

Well I sold my 4500, so will stick with the QED, I guess that's one way to get the best you can out of it, don't have the option to use anything else!
I have kept my favorite coils for it to, 8" commander, 12" evo and 20" advantage.....here's to next dry season!

Rush said:
Well done Krisco and definitely nuggets from within SDC territory.
I gather your Bias would have had to be set in the low 42 to 44 range to get the type of sensitivity on those tiny nuggets.
I would think a Bias around the 50 mark and the Gain wound up would not achieve your result even with that small figure 8 wound coil.
However you could prove me wrong.

Hey Rush, Ive experimented with Bias of 44-46 in mode 1 and gain up to 5 before it starts to get too noisy. Tiniest bit was .02gm, but got quite a few around .05gm. Biggest one there is .5gm. That AI coil is the most sensitive one Ive ever used. Even on the F1A4, it pings .05gm bits.

Good thanks Krisco.
The most sensitive coil I have for the QED is a commander 8 mono although when I pass a 0.02gm piece over this coil with the Bias set either 44 or 46 in Mode 1 and Gain up at 5 than I am unable to receive a response although using 0.05gm piece I can from 1 to 2 depending on the size of its surface area. The test nugget I carry with me is a round 0.20gm piece which I use to check for the best setting which I get a clear response on at 3" using your settings.

Check out PM (Pulse Mate) Coils Reg. Out of business now but can still find them on eBay cheaply.
The coil Krisco uses is the Nuggeteer A1 12x4. They did have a few different sized coils but reports were mixed.

Rush said:
Yet to give my QED with the software updates a run out on the goldfield so looking forward to that.

Finally found enough time to give my QED a test run after its update on the same ground I detected previously on the goldfield before the update.

I was impressed I could now raise the gain setting above 1 up to 5 on that same ground that would not allow a gain above 1 previously. Even in its lowest bias and mode settings the detector was still able to maintain that raised gain setting and operate quieter than before.

The new front panel configuration with the large push buttons made it much easier to adjust settings.
Having the power plug re-positioned from the front panel to the rear panel, the same side as the coil plug is good.
The new AGB button and system operated as the user manual says it is to be used for.

Another difference after the update with my QED was the GB figure that is displayed once it was GB'd is now a lower number than what was previously displayed on this same hot ground with my 8" coil. Not sure why that is maybe due to different components especially now that the bias does not now drift as it did previously due to temperature.

Also I was able to easily knock out a ground signal response by shifting the GB figure 4 numbers either up or down depending on whether the signal response was rising or falling although I did dig to confirm.

With the separate Battery compartment attached under the armrest containing 12 AA NiMh batteries the detector was nicely balanced with my Commander 8" mono coil. And with the Orion IQ801 wall plug charger to charge the 12 AA NiMH batteries while still inside the battery compartment the recharge time after the QED had shut down at 6 volts was now 2.75 hours compared to 13 to 14 hours using my Power Tech charger with its separate 10 compartments. Although after 7 recharge cycles or so using the Orion charger I will use the Power Tech charger to individually recharge each AA NiMH battery due to variations that can occur while charging each battery in series with the Orion.

After the update the QED is now more user friendly and balanced for my wife to use also especially with it running smoother than before.

Rush said:
Rush said:
Yet to give my QED with the software updates a run out on the goldfield so looking forward to that.

Finally found enough time to give my QED a test run after its update on the same ground I detected previously on the goldfield before the update.

I was impressed I could now raise the gain setting above 1 up to 5 on that same ground that would not allow a gain above 1 previously. Even in its lowest bias and mode settings the detector was still able to maintain that raised gain setting and operate quieter than before.

The new front panel configuration with the large push buttons made it much easier to adjust settings.
Having the power plug re-positioned from the front panel to the rear panel, the same side as the coil plug is good.
The new AGB button and system operated as the user manual says it is to be used for.

Another difference after the update with my QED was the GB figure that is displayed once it was GB'd is now a lower number than what was previously displayed on this same hot ground with my 8" coil. Not sure why that is maybe due to different components especially now that the bias does not now drift as it did previously due to temperature.

Also I was able to easily knock out a ground signal response by shifting the GB figure 4 numbers either up or down depending on whether the signal response was rising or falling although I did dig to confirm.

With the separate Battery compartment attached under the armrest containing 12 AA NiMh batteries the detector was nicely balanced with my Commander 8" mono coil. And with the Orion IQ801 wall plug charger to charge the 12 AA NiMH batteries while still inside the battery compartment the recharge time after the QED had shut down at 6 volts was now 2.75 hours compared to 13 to 14 hours using my Power Tech charger with its separate 10 compartments. Although after 7 recharge cycles or so using the Orion charger I will use the Power Tech charger to individually recharge each AA NiMH battery due to variations that can occur while charging each battery in series with the Orion.

After the update the QED is now more user friendly and balanced for my wife to use also especially with it running smoother than before.

Thanks for your update.Its good to get feedback on how the QED updates are going.

So there is an update to the actual running of the detector in original modes 1-8 and not only auto ground balance, bias drift fixed and extra modes?

Orded a Qed package from Stinky Pete yesterday , hoping it can work ok in the pilbra and gascoyne regions of WA , anybody used one with any sucsess in these regions.
Any help with setup for these regions would be apreciated. Have an SDC but need a machine with a larger coil for trying new areas, , all not wasted as the 11 inch detech coil will be a nice adition for the gpx4000 currently use as a backup to the sdc.

Krisco said:
Just got back the QED from its upgrades and auto GB. Wow! what a huge difference! Its a diff machine now. Lots more quiet and handles the ground so much better that I can boost the gain and bias. Been out for only 6 hours with it and the results speak for themselves. Im just using it as a SDC killer with the 12x4 AI. Sad thing is, the Missus says I prob have to sell it next week to get our car back on the road https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0568/1509101920_wp_20171027_18_54_01_pro1.jpg

Please view this ad:

QED metal detector, Minelab SDC 2300 killer!,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/staw...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $1,600 Negotiable

Latest posts