• Register to access all forum features  

AEGPF
Banned
Banned
07 September 2017 05:07 pm

Goldchaser1 wrote:
AEGPF wrote:
Goldchaser1 wrote:

Gave it a few goes over here mbasko,just aint happening,been offered the updates so might send it over but i get the feeling that'll be just dumbing it down,they have a platform but thats about it for hot ground i think,needs alot more development.
Mode 7-8 on laterite and you can allmost use it,i say allmost,only ran a 15x12 or 10 detect mono on it which is a very quiet stable coil,i can run my 45 with that coil in normal way better then the qed on laterites,performance is not real good with modes up around 7-8 i noticed.
Another problem when on the hot ground i noticed is falsing,i was a confussed why actually cause i know that coil is a ripper,had me buggered one day until i grabbed the control box,touch it or a light squeeze and bingo-noise,so just the swinging and combo of hot ground i think upsets it.
Now its more or less sitting next to the exercise bike in the spare bedroom,they make a great pair.
The size of it is impressive but they have a long way to go before its a versatile unit compared to the competition i think.....

The noise that you are experiencing when you squeeze the control box sounds like a faulty board perhaps a dry joint.Needs to be returned for fixing under warranty. The 3.5 mm audio jack can also be noisy if you use an adapter.In the updates the audio now has 2 audio sockets or you can specify which one you want.
You should also check to see that the earth field adjustment is spot on because if its not then any swinging of the coil thorough the geomagnetic field will induce a signal. Swinging and combo of hot ground will not upset the QED!
The updates in the mode expand the range of the sample delay.The consequence of this is that as the sample delay is increased the sensitivity and depth to targets with faster decay times ie short time constants (tiny nuggets/specimens)may diminish or disappear altogether.However for targets with longer time constants ie larger more solid nuggets the depth and sensitivity losses will be smaller due to the GB method that the QED uses which is actually MPS but in a single channel.This is opposite to what happens in a ML gpx with smooth modes where as the time constant of nuggets increases the depth and sensitivity falls off dramatically compared to normal timings. As the audio of the QED is not boosted one key to using it is to listed for pitch changes(which the ear is most sensitive too) rather the changes in vol because if the signal is below the trigger point level for the audio circuit then you will only hear a change of pitch. This is where the bias setting becomes important.
What bias where you using and what GB readings were you getting on the laterites?
I will respond to the other post when i get time as i am very busy at the moment.
hope this helps

Its been a while,i tried it on 3 seperate occassions,more or less gave up after that,bias was adjusted to the middle range and best ground balance numbers were floating around 140,give or take,early on it was touted as being able to handle any ground etc so sounded promising,some of the posts here (after mode updates) just confirm my thoughts that it wont do the job on our ground,even you guys inbetween all the technical jargon and big words have changed your tune a bit in reguards to hotter ground,was it tested in WA?
It may be faulty but ive seen hints of the same type of behaviour on laterite when we tried an atx,reminded me of that a little,atx coil especially became touch sensative,hard to describe but the ground seems to wind the machine up somehow,i'll send it back over but id rather sell it to be honest,id prob let it go for under $1k,few times i tried it the wife kits up walks off with the gpz,im standing there trying to get the thing to balance on this ground for ten minutes then the next half hr is not a whole lot better,you cant find gold standing still fiddling with buttons.....

If you get noise when the control box is squeezed then your QED has a fault! Return it to be checked out under warranty and get the new firmware and the bias capacitor replaced before you give up. The original QED was not tested in WA but was tested over some similar ground at the Teetulpa GF in SA which is horrendous in places. As i have posted earlier a QED user in the NT can run his updated QED over NT laterites and very nasty dolerites.
You have still not said what mode/vol/gain settings you were using on your QED. The ground cannot wind up the QED and the QED is being used on ground where the GB reading is over 150! There is ground that the QED cannot handle eg very reactive frequency dependent susceptible ground on the margins of salt lakes.

Last edited by AEGPF (07 September 2017 05:20 pm)

Goldchaser1
07 September 2017 05:47 pm

Ok thankyou aegpf,that doesnt surprise me,i was gonna say if it was tested in WA laterites it must of been Ronald McDonald,this is the nugget hunting mecca of australia if not the world,sorry but not testing it here was a major mistake.
We can go around in circles as far as settings go etc until the cows come home,in the end its not suited to heavily mineralised ground,takes about ten minutes to work that out,i'll bow out of this conversation now,thanks for the feedback and goodluck with it smile

AEGPF
Banned
Banned
07 September 2017 06:15 pm

Goldchaser1 wrote:

Ok thankyou aegpf,that doesnt surprise me,i was gonna say if it was tested in WA laterites it must of been Ronald McDonald,this is the nugget hunting mecca of australia if not the world,sorry but not testing it here was a major mistake.
We can go around in circles as far as settings go etc until the cows come home,in the end its not suited to heavily mineralised ground,takes about ten minutes to work that out,i'll bow out of this conversation now,thanks for the feedback and goodluck with it smile

How can we reach any valid conclusions about your QED when it appears to be faulty? Are you going to tell this to any potential buyers or are you going to sell it and be able to tell people that it has been fully checked out? You say that the QED is not suitable heavily mineralised ground and yet are unwilling to give it a fair go again after its been updated and checked out. While you are entitled to your opinion your conclusion are not born out by the almost every other QED user and without knowing how you have tried to set up your QED and all the settings you tried to use everyone is in the dark.
I am sorry that you are unwilling to be helped and at least i know i have done my best and I would still be willing to give you BW email or phone number so that he may help you.
cheers,
PS Vic is the nugget mecca of Australia and the world. smile

Tathradj
07 September 2017 10:05 pm

Ok,
Settle down please..

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

Eski
08 September 2017 05:41 pm

Not that it matters, but mine handles hot clay domes without issue, these domes fine gold gets wobbles on. the zed is similar, the only thing gettign clese to smooth is a proper modded F1a4 on channel 1 only...

but , what do i know about laterite...

Really though, plenty of people have issues with minelab/other machines... they simply send them back. Minelab/other services and returns with the issue sorted.
seems simple enough.

Why not do the same with the QED?

mbasko
08 September 2017 06:45 pm

Why would it not matter? That's the whole point of the thread to see how others are going.
I'm not sure what you know about laterite but fill us in.
It would be great to see your set up/ground balance process, other settings & what coil you're using to be able to run smoothly in these areas.
Mine has not long come back from having some upgrades so if it turns out that it has a fault then I will have the tomtits!

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

2 users like this post: Tathradj, Ridge Runner

Rush
09 September 2017 04:04 pm

Thanks mbasko for starting this thread discussion for those of us who have a QED.
I am a bit reluctant to return my QED for the updates that may dumb down it down along with the AGB.
Although the new front panel with large buttons across the bottom would make setting adjustment much easier.

Roscoe posts some very interesting points especially since only having a QED for a couple of weeks.
Therefore I assume his QED has the new front panel with larger buttons and all of the latest updates including the AGB?
And I look forward to him posting his preferred setup procedure?

3 users like this post: Krisco, mbasko, NeilM

Krisco
09 September 2017 05:26 pm

mbasko wrote:
Krisco wrote:

Ive only used mine 5 times so far, the 1st two times was getting to grips with the settings, coils etc. Working too much and crap weather are mainly to blame. I got 4 bits of gold incl one over a gram. I dont have a big range of coils to test with and I find it produces too much noise between coil changes and I have to fiddle with all the settings to get it right again. Often it takes me 10 minutes to quieten it down. On the plus side, it can be amazingly sensitive and finds small thin targets that the SDC cannot hear at all. Set correctly with a big coil, it can punch amazingly deep too! Super light weight especially when the battery pack is removed from the detector and I use a cable. Whats the cost of the AGB, control upgrades etc??

To get the AGB upgrade was $110 but I left the control box the same i.e. attached to the handle not the newer version of it under the arm cuff & seperate display on the handle. Stinky Pete Detech or Dean at Goldsearch could tell you the full upgrade price. Firmware updates were/are free apart from postage. thumbsup
Interesting that you've found gold with the QED that a SDC cannot hear at all. Not doubting you but I'm not seeing that as yet. I've used my QED about 6 times for around 30-40 hours. Surprises me at times but totally frustrating at others.

Cool, thanks Mbasko! I havent seen any upgrade price quoted anywhere, even on the QED website! I feel I need some serious hours behind the coil to get the hang of it fully. Lots of settings and adjustment ideas mentioned here to work on yikes I havent found any gold that the SDC cant hear yet but plenty of thin wire and flakes of rusty tin that any SDC cant hear whatsoever. I reckon if these were thin, specie type gold Id be the only one able to hear them. smile Yes the frustration level is high with me too....just when I think Ive got it sorted, next time out I prove myself wrong haha

1 user likes this post: mbasko

Krisco
09 September 2017 06:18 pm

Amongst all the discussion re laterite, Ive used my QED on hot patches of thick ironstone gravel where the GB numbers were up to 148-9. Bit warbly but signals still popped through. smile

Eski
09 September 2017 06:55 pm

Will Do tomorrow Mbasco, it is the basic Goldsearch setup with a special bracket, 4 pin plug, 15 inch Evo and a duct taped wireless battery. I cannot remember the settings as i have not been out in a while. - hope to be out on the 22nd so if i remember i'll update then.

And my machine has not been in for the update.
the most annoying issue thus far is the bias drift but i've nutted it out. - this will be sorted after i send it off.

What i meant was that i know nothing about Laterite being in vic and a deposit never been pointed out to me. It would be great to have one pointed out to me, that way i can test before WA trip a whole year away....

mbasko
09 September 2017 08:07 pm

Made some progress today! Couldn't fault the QED all day. Ran smooth as with only a few easily dismissed ground noises.
When I first started up it was sounding like last time & I was thinking here we go again. I pulled up & slowly went back through everything again. Main changes from the other day was leaving bias neutral & upping the volume from 40 to 50 (as per comment posted by AEGPF) + the ground today seemed a bit milder to previous spots.
Still not 100% on the AGB as even though it got close I felt it still needed manual fine tuning & for the most part manually adjusted during the day.
Settings were:
GB - between 111 to 117
Bias (threshold B) - 51
Volume (threshold A) - 50
Gain - 1
Mode - 3
Coil - Detech 11" Ultra Sensing Mono
Headphones - Sennheiser RS160 wireless
Found a 2 grammer & 5 grammer both around 8-10" deep.
Will need to get back to a few areas over the next couple of weeks but hopefully I'm starting to get on top of it now.

10 users like this post: Krisco, Ridge Runner, Syndyne, grubstake, Reeks, Cando, Goldchaser1, Heatho, Bacchus, maxwell4

Krisco
09 September 2017 08:11 pm

Laterite is normally associated with high rainfall/tropical regions, either prehistorical or current. Vic has never had the conditions to create it. Its in a lot of locations in SA, NT, QLD and of course WA though.

Rush
09 September 2017 09:05 pm

mbasko wrote:

Still not 100% on the AGB as even though it got close I felt it still needed manual fine tuning & for the most part manually adjusted during the day.

At times I find it difficult to pick on some ground whether the audio is a rising or a falling sound when manually adjusting the GB.

So the AGB is more of an aid on which way to adjust to fine tune the GB if the GB numbers on the screen are either rising or falling as the coil is lowered towards the ground.

Have been to use to just pressing the GB button on my GPX.

AEGPF
Banned
Banned
09 September 2017 09:12 pm

mbasko wrote:

Made some progress today! Couldn't fault the QED all day. Ran smooth as with only a few easily dismissed ground noises.
When I first started up it was sounding like last time & I was thinking here we go again. I pulled up & slowly went back through everything again. Main changes from the other day was leaving bias neutral & upping the volume from 40 to 50 (as per comment posted by AEGPF) + the ground today seemed a bit milder to previous spots.
Settings were:
GB - between 111 to 117
Bias (threshold B) - 51
Gain - 1
Mode - 3
Will need to get back to a few areas over the next couple of weeks but hopefully I'm starting to get on top of it now.

Good to hear that you are getting on top of the QED. Keep it up you will now find more gold i am sure!

Last edited by AEGPF (09 September 2017 09:12 pm)

diggin4gold
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
10 September 2017 01:49 am

mbasko wrote:

Settings were:
GB - between 111 to 117
Bias (threshold B) - 51
Gain - 1
Mode - 3

From being frustrated to getting to work the QED and finding gold, what do you say was the difference in achieving your good day with the QED?

mbasko
10 September 2017 09:08 am

Rush wrote:
mbasko wrote:

At times I find it difficult to pick on some ground whether the audio is a rising or a falling sound when manually adjusting the GB.

So the AGB is more of an aid on which way to adjust to fine tune the GB if the GB numbers on the screen are either rising or falling as the coil is lowered towards the ground.

Have been to use to just pressing the GB button on my GPX.

Yeah take note of the ground balance number before doing AGB then after. It does make it a bit easier initially then manually fine tune as needed.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

mbasko
10 September 2017 09:22 am

diggin4gold  wrote:

From being frustrated to getting to work the QED and finding gold, what do you say was the difference in achieving your good day with the QED?

The big difference was probably the ground was more consistent - not so variable although still a few hot spots. Like Rush getting used to the QED balance vs using the Minelab green button is taking some getting used to.
Leaving the bias neutral & increasing the volume seemed to make a difference too.
Still need to get back to where I've had problems to retry but hopefully no more frustrating days. The frustration was from having it run well to it becoming erratic - I knew it could run well at times & had potential but until yesterday couldn't maintain that throughout the day. All down to settings I think & readjusting myself to a different platform but still more use needed before I get too excited yet.

Here's the gold from yesterday:
1504995304_15049540361580.jpg

15 users like this post: Retirement Stone, Rockhunter62, Heatho, Reeks, grubstake, Syndyne, Cando, Bacchus, Tathradj, Ridge Runner, maxwell4, numpty, Chewy, Krisco, NeilM

Heatho
10 September 2017 09:58 am

Geez Matt, top looking nugs those ones mate, well done.

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

2 users like this post: Syndyne, mbasko

Cando
10 September 2017 10:46 am

mbasko wrote:
diggin4gold  wrote:

The big difference was probably the ground was more consistent - not so variable although still a few hot spots. Like Rush getting used to the QED balance vs using the Minelab green button is taking some getting used to.
Leaving the bias neutral & increasing the volume seemed to make a difference too.
Still need to get back to where I've had problems to retry but hopefully no more frustrating days. The frustration was from having it run well to it becoming erratic - I knew it could run well at times & had potential but until yesterday couldn't maintain that throughout the day. All down to settings I think & readjusting myself to a different platform but still more use needed before I get too excited yet.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 361580.jpg

Nice work there mate.... great nuggets

If you could do it all over again would you get the QED?

Noel smile
Gpz 7000 - QED - Equinox 800

Roscoe
10 September 2017 04:14 pm

The AGB will never get spot on in very high mineral ground, it will get close, but never spot on and it never will in my opinion, well not in its current configuration. But in mild to medium/high mineral ground it should go very very close and will come in good use.

mbasko, nice nuggets, looks like you are starting to get use to the machine, well done. Its great not having that constant noise in your ear when finding gold isn't it? smile

Last edited by Roscoe (10 September 2017 04:18 pm)

Rush
10 September 2017 05:31 pm

From my experience so far I agree with Roscoe that “the standard wound coils suit this machine in high mineral variable ground”.

My standard wound coils range from an 8” up to a 25” with the only non-standard wound coil a NF 12” Evo.

A couple of questions I have are in regards to the AGB and menu item No.8 Pitch.

So has the inclusion of the AGB system changed the GB number readings from the previous GB readings before the AGB was added?

And has the change in the Pitch, from the previous firmware which allowed inversions of the signal response, produced any improvement in the signal response?

Thanks in advance.

mbasko
10 September 2017 05:31 pm

Cando wrote:

Nice work there mate.... great nuggets
If you could do it all over again would you get the QED?

Thanks
Only time will tell Cando? At this stage I'd say yes but who knows what the next few weeks/months or even year will bring. Like I said I'm not getting too excited yet but yesterday certainly gives me some more confidence in the QED.

Rush
10 September 2017 05:33 pm

Gee whiz great minds think alike as both of the above posts were posted at the exact same time.

mbasko
10 September 2017 05:37 pm

Roscoe  wrote:

mbasko, nice nuggets, looks like you are starting to get use to the machine, well done. Its great not having that constant noise in your ear when finding gold isn't it?

This was probably one of the things I initially struggled with Roscoe. That constant noise was like my security blanket lol It took some getting used to for me & even yesterday it felt a bit "funny" at times but I did start picking the very subtle threshold changes on the QED which has also made a difference.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner
10 September 2017 05:43 pm

mbasko wrote:
diggin4gold  wrote:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 361580.jpg

First class results mate, you have gotta be happy with that, That tune up has worked wonders.

good luck and keep going.

J.

Dig em all,

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site