NEW TO GOLD DETECTING AND CHOOSING DETECTOR

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to gold detecting and currently researching a gold detector to purchase as my first machine.

I am located near Ophir NSW and am currently looking at the Minelab monster 1000 which seems pretty straight forward for a newbie yet I am concerned about some of the reviews considering the area that I live and also am looking at the Garret AT Max which seems a little more difficult for a newbie to master.

could I please ask for any recommendations or suggestions around these two models as well as advice on complexity of learning the Garret machine ?

Kindest Regards
Julie :) :)

Julie, if you are just after gold you cannot go past the sdc2300. This will get you some gold quicker than any other machine. If your budget is more in the sub $2000 mark, then I'd be chosing the Gold Monster over the Garrett simply due to the higher frequency, and Auto sensitivity options.

nero2j said:
Hi all,

I am new to gold detecting and currently researching a gold detector to purchase as my first machine.

I am located near Ophir NSW and am currently looking at the Minelab monster 1000 which seems pretty straight forward for a newbie yet I am concerned about some of the reviews considering the area that I live and also am looking at the Garret AT Max which seems a little more difficult for a newbie to master.

could I please ask for any recommendations or suggestions around these two models as well as advice on complexity of learning the Garret machine ?

Kindest Regards

Hi Julie,
If your budget can stretch to about $1500 and you want to look for gold then consider the Australian designed and built Pulse induction QED detector which is easy to use, very light weight and which has good sensitivity/depth to small gold and will go far deeper on bigger bits in mineralized ground than any simple VLF like the GM or Garret. The QED can also use mono coils from 6"-24" so is also very versatile.
The latest QED users manual can be found here: http://australianelectronicgoldpros...nd-discussion-forum/updated-qed-users-manual/

nero2j said:
Hi all,

Kindest Regards

I Agree with Phasetech, go with the GM 1000 or the SDC, all the others are not in the same class and will leave you with regrets,

J.

Hi Old Hand. I will be looking for Gold. I do not want to look for anything else such as relics or coins etc. I am not quite sure but I am thinking that our area of Ophir etc would be highly mineralised.

thank you phase tech. your advice is much appreciated. my budget is under the $2000 mark but it may be worth considering waiting a bit. I am not sure but I am thinking our area might be highly mineralised which is what I was concerned about with the Minelab detector however I really like its simplicity for a newby. I think I will look into your other suggestion though. many thanks :)

thank you AEGPF. Much appreciated .. I will have a good look at the information you sent me. for the couple of extra hundred $$ this may be a good option. thank you. I will look over it now. :)

Hi Ridge Runner. thank you for your advice. much appreciated. I will have a look at the suggested models now .. thanks again :)

nero2j said:
Hi Ridge Runner. thank you for your advice. much appreciated. I will have a look at the suggested models now .. thanks again :)

Just a couple of things to remember, The GM 1000 is starting to prove it's self, But the SDC has the highest success rate at finding Gold and It finds the bread and butter Gold and it has the easiest learning curve of all Gold Machines, Ok.

Good luck.

J.

nero2j said:
thank you phase tech. your advice is much appreciated. my budget is under the $2000 mark but it may be worth considering waiting a bit. I am not sure but I am thinking our area might be highly mineralised which is what I was concerned about with the Minelab detector however I really like its simplicity for a newby. I think I will look into your other suggestion though. many thanks :)

A number of people that have purchased a QED also had SDC's. Most of them have now sold their SCD's and now use the QED which with small coils will match the SDC on tiny gold and specimens and is more sensitive to small gold mixed with or coated with ironstone which the SDC tends to reject due to its timings.
The SDC can only use one coil so far but the QED can use as i stated earlier mono coils from 6"-24" and with larger coils will go far deeper than the SDC or the GM.The QED will handle most mineralized ground in Vic,NSW and Qld based on feedback from many users in the field. All the latest QED's now sold have the full range of updates and some are available with an optional auto GB. You can also talk directly with the designer and builder of the QED if you have any questions or problems which i think is unique for any detector.
Here is the website of one of the authorized dealers who will also give you whatever help you need if you decide to buy a QED
http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/qed-detech-complete-package
Goldsearch Dunolly is the other dealer and he now users the QED exclusively and has found a heap of small gold and specimens with it.
http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/qed-control-box-only.html
Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

To be honest I'd only go with a Minelab metal detector, they make the very best detecting technology for Australia's highly mineralised soil conditions. A lot of people usually start with a non Minelab detector get frustrated and then sell their initial purchase and then buy a Minelab Pulse Induction detector.

If you really want to fast track your way to a few gold finds the SDC2300 is the way to go, people are also having success with the GM1000 as well, the GM may struggle a bit in high mineralisation though. If you can afford the SDC it is the best gold detector for beginners.

I wouldn't trade my VLF for anything but the SDC has proven its self the last 2 or 3 years, Some guys here have just sky rocketed their finds rate with the SDC, The GPX might be the deep gold getter but the SDC has to be the hottest Gold machine and it allows people to start finding gold on a daily bases, what some of the guys here do with the SDC is nothing short of incredible.

John.

A good second hand SDC with enough use will pay for itself , get you trained up and most importantly keep you finding enough gold to avoid becoming disheartened. Not sure the same can be said of the others in Australian gold fields.

Good Luck :|

Hi Julie,

I know you specifically asked for opinions about the GM1000 and the ATmax.

I've had a tiny play with a GM1000 so no real experience or time with one but do trust the opinions of a few I know who have them and learnt to master them and use them the way intended.
Nil experience with the ATmax sorry but have used an AT and numerous other Garrett products.

I do know the Ophir area well though and have had good success there in the past with nuggets up to 2 1/2oz. The area has been hit hard over the last bunch of decades but there is good gold still there to be had. Plenty of small gold still in the hammered areas too.

Out of the two I'd go the GM 1000

Saying that, I would agree with the majority here and try and save a bit more for a 2nd hand SDC2300 if at all possible.

I know the QED has been touted as well, and even stated a number have sold there SDC.
While that may be true, I also know some who have on shifted their QED or are trying to. While I've only had a minimal play with a QED, it was enough plus with the owners experience to make me form the opinion that I would not recommend it to a new comer.

AEGPF said:
madtuna said:
Hi Julie,

While that may be true, I also know some who have on shifted their QED or are trying to.

Of the many QED's sold I only know of 2 that want to shift their QED's. The QED is easy to use despite what you say and will match or beat the SDC on most tiny gold and beat it easily on bigger, deeper bits with bigger coils.It is also more immune to EMI than the SDC and runs much quieter and some users are doing very well with it near or under power lines.Some early QED users have already found tens of ounces of nuggets eg Reg Wilson, JRbeatty, "Yellowfin" ect. Dean at Goldsearch Dunolly has found dozens of small nuggets/specimens with his QED in hot Dunolly ground and would be happy to show you his pictures of them. For the cost of the SDC you can get a QED with one or 2 more coils and a cord free wireless setup.Their is also a QED users group on my forum where users care share their experiences and tips for use and talk directly with the designer and builder of the QED. The QED is very lightweight and can be easily used all day and is far more ergonomic than the SDC and can be set up and configured to best suit the needs of the individual user. In saying this the QED will not suit everybody but if someone buys one and finds its not fit for purpose then it can be returned to the dealer for a refund.
cheers,

The point is the SDC has a massive following because it has an unbeatable track record, members here have been finding bits that weigh less 0.01 grams and smaller, No other PI finds as many nuggets, It even picks up the Gold the GPX leaves behind bordering on Gold that LF machines find, When it comes to finding Gold on a daily bases Nothing comes close to the SDC, Hundreds of Guys here have proved it here every week for at leased the last 3 years.

Ramjet said:
I would always take the advice of someone trying to sell you a product with skepticism. ;) Research thoroughly.

Well not being an ML user, I have to admit they have really raise the bar this past 4 or 5 years, I still prefer my VLF to any other brand because I am now at a point where I want to be with it, I don't need any more depth because depending on the Coil being used has me digging some monster holes and at one time had me thinking about a small dozer, but if I need a PI it would be the GPX-4500 and the SDC, The guys here are always showing what they can achieve with both of them and I would only recommend machines that have proven them selves. If I had the choice my kit would be the GM 1000, My MXT A/P, The SDC and the 4500, everyone of them being Gold based means I would have all bases covered.

I just added up the cost of the QED with the kit listed and it adds up to 1884.70 without the coil, I did not see any coils listed, so there would be another 2 or 300 bucks to add on to that,, The newer control box is a great improvement and also having Auto tracking of the latest version, But I would still rather buy the complete SDC setup.

John.