hopper hinging and simple swing arm arrangement.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1504324859_20170508_154555.jpg
This style dose not require any nuts and bolts to adjust, two second variable adjustments,
comprised of 6 to 8mm stainless round bar, one stainless hinge( split to make 2 ) that has simular pin size of 6 or 8mm to suit.
12x12x3mm alloy angle. Approx 2400mm
3.2mm rivets, preferably counter sunk sealed type. grip length of 5mm + if you hoppers is made of 1.6mm. (6mm grip if made 2mm) etc
1200mm (approximately) SS roung bar.

*map gas/lpg/oxy to heat at bends, desirable.
*10mm diameter pipe, trolly jack handle fine.

This must be hinged towards the rear end of of the base to allow for decent pitching angles.
the arm length on this is about 300mm, + 300mm for hopper+ hinge length, 40mm..
Firstly establish hinge point. This is your first measure point.
Then tilt your hopper up to the ideal working angle. Dont have your banker flat on the ground . Chock rear end to average working angle.
Then establish a half way point for you primary peice of angle to be placed on the underside of your hopper. Leaving room for more angle lugs before and after it.
Mark this point on the side of your hopper.
measure the hinge point up to this ideal spot, call this "X"mm
Measure the width of hopper, "Z"mm
then allow 50mm for each hinge.
add these up and work out how much bar you need.
you must work you bends from inside firstly.
Then put a mark at half way along the desired bar. Then put a mark either side of the centre mark of half the width of you hopper.
place in vice with vice on the hopper side of line at mark. Heat at mark only with gas if available. Slide the suited 10mm pipe up the bar to vice, whilst bending, using hammer "only"strike at the point of bend, the tighter to bend, the shorter the bend radius will be. Practice on off cut if need be.
cool, and flip it in vice. Remembering to keep the hoppers peice of bar in the vice .repeat. making sure that first bend is square and flat.
cool and dry fit.
Bending any metal you will gain or loose length, close to the width of material at 90deg. Thats why we are working inside out wards, excess can be trimmed off at hinge bend.
If all looks good to bend at hinge end, measure and now mark hinge bend point. Put the upright arm end in vice, bending the part that goes in the hinge only.
after all bends are done, lay on flat surface, adjust bends as needed.
Remove the pin from the hinge, split. Cut down to suit. The outer sleave can be stretched wider with care usually, if it was a 5mm pin, drift an old 6mm drill bit through it. Tight fit is good ok.
square a line along the under side of you hopper at that spot you like.
Pre-drill your all angle holes firstly.
Rivet your first peice of angle, with the rivets on the HIGH side, thus giving you a full lip from the angle.see pic
make sure you bar angles are 90 deg, or at least the same. Both 95deg/105 etc.
slide hinges on, cut excess off.
Dry fit, making sure the bar is snug evenly across the angle.
Fix hinges. Presto.
now add your extra angle locators.
One fitted where the hopper fully elevated is handy at clean ups. Space 8mm air gap apart for 6mm bsr, 10mm for 8mm....
1504324672_20170508_154642.jpg

Nice looking rig mate.

That perforated/punch sheet is what Im going to put under my "grizzly bars" :Y: .

As a fitter I appreciate the adjustment :) .

Thanks,
Shane

Ha, hell no! Avoided those items real well. Noisy demanding things get in them
I cant claim credit for this design. Similar to another model I saw once. But real simple to adjust. $30 build.
next time bub poo's itself... place one pooi baby on tray, turn on pump, rotate as needed!
The joy of finding Brown nuggets ! :D

mudgee hunter said:
Ha, hell no! Avoided those items real well. Noisy demanding things get in them
I cant claim credit for this design. Similar to another model I saw once. But real simple to adjust. $30 build.
next time bub poo's itself... place one pooi baby on tray, turn on pump, rotate as needed!
The joy of finding Brown nuggets ! :D
lmao :Y: