Old VLF Coils?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My ancient goldseekers 15000 arrived today,
I'm planning to repair the broken plastic on the coolant was wondering if anyone could tell me which coil I could get for it as a replacement?

It has a 10 inch superstar's coil already, but I wouldn't know if that's a mono or a DD.

Any info would be helpful.
Cheers, Joe.

Had one of the first 15000's on the shaft, wife had the hip mount in the late 80's/90's. I would call Coiltek and see if their Eureka Gold 6" round coil would work, to me if looking for gold with this machine the smaller coil would be better. From memory we had the 8" and the 10" coils.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I might see if I can call them tomorrow. It works well enough with the 10 inch but it fades quickly with a little height. I'm sure somethibg will show up though. :)

Re (Would that be a mono, do you know?) Cannot recall, but probably you will need a DD for the 15000 to cope with mineralisation, but Coiltek should Know.

At the time we also had Coil Machines me a Silver Sabre, and a good friend John G. would ring me up on Sunday morning ask what I was doing and sometimes we would go detecting on the Beach in front of the West Beach Caravan Park in Adelaide, at the time he only used a Minelab 15000, he later got involved with Coil Design and Coil manufacturing, then set up Coiltek in Marybrough.

Peter

I think the Supersearch coils for the 15000 are a 5 pin (?), whereas the coils for the 17/18000/Eureka are 4 pin and called Goldsearch. Both Vlf detectors, while the GP PI series had a coil called the Super Goldsearch - all a bit confusing.
Cain't use a mono on a Vlf anyways Joe.

The 4-pin "goldsearch" coils will only work on GoldStriker, xt17000/18000 & Eureka as well as the Golden Hawk (with a plug change).

The 5-pin supersearch were cross compatible to a range of different models: 15000, ft/gt16000, Eldorado, Eureka Dual Ace, Musketeer, Stirling and the rare Tribune & Klondike.

I'm sure there's a few coils out there still kicking around.

Ah sweet. Thanks so much for the information guys.

Yeah wasn't sure about what type the VLF uses. I'll get in touch with coiltech tomorrow. Might be able to go up there next time I'm up north.

Oh forgot to say, the stirling and early musketeer had concentric coils, but all the rest were DD's.

The only concentric coil Minelab had on a vlf gold machine from memory was the 9x6" coil that was an optional accessory around the time of the 32 kHz goldstriker. Was always curious to know how this coil would go on 60 kHz on the xt18000, but never got to try it.

Thanks for that clarification PT. I have the IGSL Musky (from Geotech/Silverdog) to build, so an early vlf 5-pin 15000/Musky coil will be on my watchlist now - I have seen heaps in the past dirt cheap and not realised these coils would match the IGSL Musky.
My 17000 has the Coiltek 6" Goldseeker on it - seems to work well, but I have no original Goldsearch coil for that one to compare.

Hi I know that this was an old post but I wondered how you got on searching for a coil, I am in need of one (any) as my Goldseeker 15000 coil has been damaged and cracked around the mounting lugs, it is still working but now bodged with epoxy resin
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Blackgre

Hi Blackgreg,
I have an old 18" coil that was made BJ back in the 90's that fits a GT16000 if it fits you machine your welcome to it. What sort of pinout is on your existing coil?
cheers db

Give me a couple of days to get it from storage and I'll have a look, you can have it for the postage or pick it up.
cheers db

Hello All.
I know this is an old post, but maybe someone can assist.

I have an old GT16000 fitted with, i believe, the std Coil which is a Supersearch 8".
The strange thing is, the end of the Coil lead has a 8 Pin plug, which then connects to another lead(as an extension i assume) with an 8 Pin plug, and at the end of that is a 5 Pin plug which connects to the Control Box.
Do you think something bodgey is going on here, or would that have been the only way to setup an extension lead in that time?
Reason why I ask is I suspect there is a problem with either the Coil or lead.

Thanks.

Latest posts