Gem show and tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1504089679_20840594_1383370248399371_1476787353_n.jpg
Hey all I wanted to see what gems people have so Thought I'd start a gem show and tell this was a 25ct topaz from tomahawk creek

Nice looking stone there Gemhunter. Interesting, I've never found topaz anywhere on the Anakie-Rubyvale gemfield myself. It's usually associated with tin-bearing pegmatites. Lots of it up north, west of Cairns, never seen it here though (though any money says it's hiding in the backblocks here somewhere).

Yeah I want to back out there soon but I want to try willows gemfields but I am unsure if the stones there are dug from wash dirt in the area or if they come out of a creek but tomahawk creek has a great variety of gemstones I have another 9ct of tomahawk creek topaz aswell as 9ct of zircon I have plenty of small damaged sapphires and 2ct of prime garnet that people have mistaked for a ruby because of its amazing color

Gemhunter said:
Your reply on the other post really helped lefty cheers

No probs mate :)

Seeing as we live just down the road from one another, I was wondering if it would be ok if we could meet somewhere - I'm just really curious about the topaz and garnet, I'd like to have a look at them first hand if that's ok.

Cheers

No worries mate we can definitely meet up I sold the 25ct topaz but I have the garnet and afew more pieces of topaz aswell as some zircon sapphires I also have some opals

Cool, yep I was just curious to see them first hand because all I've ever found on the field is sapphire and zircon (the garnet and other topaz you have came from Tomahawk creek?). However, I have heard of topaz being found there but never knew anybody who had actually found any. I've never found any garnets there but I have a mate who used to have a commercial sapphire lease near Reward, which is situated sort of between Rubyvale and the Willows but on the northern (Rubyvale) side of the Capricorn highway and is accessed via Kielambete road which runs from Rubyvale. He found a garnet about the size of a grape which I think is the one in the big ring in the window of his shop (he's a manufacturing jeweller nowdays).

At Reward I once found what turned out to be a very pale waterworn amethyst crystal that I intially mistook for a light pink zircon. And a bloke who also had a claim in Reward showed me what he had first thought was a yellow zircon but he and I are both about 99% sure it was actually a waterworn citrine crystal.

So there's definately a variety of stuff out there - even the occasional diamond has been found.

BTW, did you know there is a site not far away from us that produces amethyst? It's near a tiny place called Lowmead, not far from Miriam Vale. The spot is almost dug out now but I think there's still a few crystals hiding there. There would almost certainly be much more on properties around the area but unfortunately there is no access. On page 24 of the "Some finds from Lowmead" thread which is also in the Gemstones and Minerals topic , you'll see a nice crystal found by one of the forum members, as well as plenty of others.

I faceted the crystal for him, it cut an absolutely beautiful stone, it's pictured in the "5 carat Lowmead amethyst" thread in the Lapidary section of the forum, just below Gemstones and minerals - I think the thread is back on the second page of threads now.

I didn't find the topaz it was given to me by a bloke who had heaps I didn't want to sell ot but I had no money I just went to show a friend and he ended up buying the bloke I got it off said all the stone I was going through came from tomahawk creek I love fossicking though being from tassie I normally chase agates and quartz crystals I have only been doing for abit over a year now and I am addicted thanks heaps for the info on lowmead I will definitely go check that out soon and I will go have a look at the piece you have said about now and I have wanted to find citrine for awhile now good to hear of some about in CQ

Latest posts