Start at the start

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Always wanted to find a gold nugget. I recently watched a series on fox called "Aussie Gold Hunters" and thought now that I have turned 60 its my time. I live on the NSW Central Coast at Killarney Vale so a bit of a distance from known gold areas. I like the sound of using a Detector and it would seem there is a great deal of different detectors out there and accessories foe each detector. Like everyone, I just want to get out there with a detector and find that huge nugget, but before I do I know there is a lot to learn. I did see on a website that they offer tours with hands on instructions, not sure if this is the way to go, i really would like to know the basics first. It would be good to hear how you all started out, this may guide me into the future. Looking forward to your help, thanks! :lol:

i went the hard way and got an old detector my uncle had then it was hit and miss from there turn this button turn that button
then i got a xterra 705 sat and read the book still was confused so went on you tube and watched how they done it and sat and done what they did for different soil and sand then went to the beach found lots back home watched again and so on
anyway my advise if you can do a hands on tours with someone that knows what they are doing with a detector that you are thinking of getting
dont make the same mistakes and waste time like i have

Thanks 7.62, so what made you buy the xterra 705, i assume different type of detectors work in different ground conditions and have different sensitivity it there such a thing as a good all rounder ?

Hi Dusttodust.

A few Central coasties had a meetup last night at the elanore pub - just to get to know each other.
Hopefully will meet up again soon and maybe get a trip planned.

I have the sdc 2300 and found small gold at Wattle Flat and panned some at Hill End.
Keep watching for members meet up as I will post whemn I am heading out again.

Neil

Another Central Coast 705 user here.
I would be interested in local meetups and trips to Mudgee or Hill End.
Peter

Welcome mate . Joining this forum is a great start . What type of detector you get depends a lot on how much you spend but minelab prob the best option in aust soils . When you work out what model detector you are going to get you may well get a lesson with a pro with that type of detector . They all different from one and another . Wish there was somewhere to get a lesson when I brough my first detector . :|

philbert21 said:
Welcome mate . Joining this forum is a great start . What type of detector you get depends a lot on how much you spend but minelab prob the best option in aust soils . When you work out what model detector you are going to get you may well get a lesson with a pro with that type of detector . They all different from one and another . Wish there was somewhere to get a lesson when I brough my first detector . :|
Hey philbert . Maybe i need lessons after you found the one i walked over .. will pm you about this weekend

Thanks for the welcome. Once I have gotten started, I really would like to go out to the Mudgee area. It nice to see there are a couple of others from the Central coast area that do get together, I will be interested in meeting next time you get together. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the forum DusttoDust. Have a great day. I live in Rosemeadow near Campbelltown but am willing to travel. Keep me posted mate.

Tallstock said:
Another Central Coast 705 user here.
I would be interested in local meetups and trips to Mudgee or Hill End.
Peter

Hi Tallstock,

I'd be interested in trips to Mudgee &/or Hill End. Let me know.

Regards

ignas

Actually, thats reply above is to anyone heading to that area, Dusttodust, NeilM.

Latest posts