Aquamarine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awsome cheers mate I have heard there are plenty of minerals at Harts range should be heading that way before to long

Yeah right that would be great you will get to spend some time looking atleast I am from tassie just recently moved to boyne island I was planning on heading out to rubyvale and sapphire to try my luck for some sapphires I'm not sure if all the gemstones are dug from creek or if they are all over the place out there

Welcome to the forum Gemhunter.

You're about 10 minutes down the road from where I live.

The stones on the Rubyvale field are broadly scattered around the area in old alluvial deposits, not just in the beds of the few creeks that are on the field. They can be nearly anywhere but the "wash" - the ancient river bed clay and gravel material in which heavies such as sapphires and zircons originally settled - is often too deep for fossickers. There are patches of shallow/surface wash here and there such as at the Washpool and Glenalva where you can try your luck. Layers of potentially sapphire-bearing wash have a bit of a distinct look (though they vary from spot to spot). You're looking for a band of material with an abundance of smooth, stream-worn looking pebbles such as waterworn quartz pebbles. In particular, a high concentration of brown and yellow iron stone pebbles since it is heavy and heavies tend to settle together. Distinctive looking quartzite boulders referred to locally as "billy boulders" are also considered a good sign.

Wow sounds great should be heading out there next week I will let you know how I went will be the first time on the willows gemfields area

I probably should mention that while the stones are definately there - there is usually a helluva lot of dirt in between them :) Hence their high value - scarcity.

The field is very extensive and I've never actually been to The Willows. My family had small miners claims just behind Rubyvale in the 70's and 80's. The wash was productive and we pulled some beautiful stone from it. It was also 8 feet down through concrete-hard ground, too deep for fossickers with hand tools, unless you're going to be there for weeks on end.

Anyway, good luck out there! :Y:

Wow that would of been great I am keen to have a good go out there not sure how things will turn out but I'm suoer keen

Latest posts