Mailing Nuggets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, seeking some clarification on the right way to send nuggets through the post. Shipped some nuggets off recently through Aus Post with registered and Insurance, one parcel seems to have gotten side tracked. When making an enquiry to Aus Post they have informed me that the items are not covered under their insurance.

I have sent nuggets via AUS post and the person at the desk has known what they are. Sent them insured for the full amount. No mention that gold would not be covered if lost.
However, if not insured for full amount then general registered post is only covered to a maximum of $50 regardless of what it's real value is.

Also, how long between when it was sent and now? If it's only 5 or 6 days then I'd still have some hope that it will turn up. Even if it isn't showing up on the tracking thing it might just turn up. Plenty of my stuff doesn't show on tracking until it reaches the final destination.

Well here is an example of a parcel getting lost in the mail.
It eventually got to B5MECH but did a tour around the country.

1504068994_lost.jpg

They blamed it on my writing and then they blamed on the mail sorters.
It took a further 3 days for the item to be received 14 days in total using express parcel post to travel from Bendigo to NSW.
So in total a couple of trips back to Vic around NSW then got lost for a while.

Are the AusPost mongrels relying on this 'get out of jail free' clause from the fine print of their terms and conditions?:

1504069468_bullion.jpg

If so, I'd be arguing strongly that natural gold nuggets cannot constitute 'bullion', as their actual gold content/purity has not been established. They remain geological specimens until such time as a refinery has processed them.

Good luck!

HoudiniHarry said:
Well here is an example of a parcel getting lost in the mail.
It eventually got to B5MECH but did a tour around the country.
They blamed it on my writing and then they blamed on the mail sorters.
It took a further 3 days for the item to be received 14 days in total using express parcel post to travel from Bendigo to NSW.
So in total a couple of trips back to Vic around NSW then got lost for a while.

AusPost's Chullora parcel centre merry-go-round strikes again! That place should have a sign over the door: "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"!

I feel your pain, Harry - I've endured a similar experience.

Thanks for the replies, I'm not overly concerned about the parcel as yet, as it it simply took a wrong turn and went to Vic via Qld, so it's only 6 or 7 business days from last scan in Qld. However it has led me to realise that the items although covered by extras for their actual worth and fully disclosed to the local PO staff are not actually covered under their terms and conditions. They apparently class nuggets under the bullion heading and i have had mixed answers when trying to confirm the legalities with varying Aus Post staff.

Excerpts from terms and conditions ( Exta Cover) copied and pasted as follows.

4 Domestic carriage
4.1 Australia Post provides the Service in relation to selected articles (as published by
Australia Post) lodged for domestic carriage in accordance with Clause 5 below.

4.2 Unless the sender has purchased the Signature on Delivery service, the Limit for the
Service is restricted to $300.

5 Service provided
5.1 Australia Post shall provide the Service when:
5.1.1 a customer makes a written application for the Service in a manner or form
prescribed by Australia Post for that purpose;
5.1.2 that application does not relate to any article referred to in clause 8 (to the
extent that can reasonably be ascertained at the time of application);

8 Articles for which the Service is unavailable
8.1 Australia Post will not provide this Service for loss or damage relating to the carriage
of articles:
8.1.1 containing bank notes, or bullion;

Their T&Cs Dictionary defines Bullion as the following.

bullion means any precious metal, in a lump or bulk form, whether in a pure or impure state
or whether in a refined or unrefined state, and includes ingots and nuggets but does not
include coins, medals or jewellery.

Further

PART D PROHIBITED GOODS

PROHIBITED AND DANGEROUS GOODS

57 Prohibited goods

57.1 The following prohibited goods shall not be lodged for carriage by post and are
prohibited from carriage by post:

57.1.10 bullion;
57.1.11 bank notes lodged for delivery within Australia which exceed a face value of
more than $A200. For the avoidance of doubt, bank notes up to a limit not
exceeding the face value of $A200, lodged for delivery within Australia, are not
prohibited from carriage if lodged under the registered post service, or under a
parcel delivery service which requires a signature on delivery;
57.1.12 bank notes lodged for delivery in the international post,
57.1.13 coins lodged for delivery within Australia which exceed a face value of more
than $A200. For the avoidance of doubt, coins up to a limit not exceeding the
face value of $A200, lodged for delivery within Australia, are not prohibited
from carriage if lodged under the registered post service or under a parcel
delivery service which requires a signature on delivery;
57.1.14 coins lodged for delivery in the international post; or

bullion means any precious metal, in a lump or bulk form, whether in a pure or impure state
or whether in a refined or unrefined state, and includes ingots and nuggets but does not
include coins, medals or jewellery.

That's fairly clear then. No more nugget sending for me :(

So after numerous discussions with varying hierarchy within Aus Post, i asked for a refund on all monies paid for extra cover. my argument was that the local PO staff happily took my money for a service that was never going to be covered even when i had disclosed what i was sending. At this stage they have taken all my tracking numbers and have advised a money order for the refunding of said monies will be forwarded. :cool:

Sent a buell muffler from Cobram to Geelong from a gumtree sale posted thursday 3pm , 17 dollars , was asked do I want express post for next day , another 10 bucks , said no , ol mate had it at 8 am delivered Friday morning , arsewipes can do it if they want to !

Years ago i used to sell some on ebay,when filling out the "contents" or whatever it was asking for ID on item id just write "condoms",those parcels go through alot of hands i reckon,cant remember if there is a spot on the parcel itself that states the item,so they knew it was gold?
Id be a bit nervous......

diggin4gold said:
Secret Squirrels said:
diggin4gold said:
Standard registered post is covered for $100, but there are exclusions
It used to be $200
Here are the details

https://auspost.com.au/receiving/missing-damaged-or-delayed-items/compensation

So D4G, on face value that's exactly what it presents like, and thats the extra cover i purchased, unfortuneately it's not worth a bar of soap when it comes to "Bullion". :(

Yes, you need to read up on the exclusions.
Hi folk, Back when gold was $55.00 a gram i sold a few ones on ebay i packed in a small bag sticky tape inside a bubble pack envelope so it could not move about, Went to ozpost when i asked about insurance the lady sed forget it if you fill in a form every one knows whats in it and wont last 1 days travel,i sent regular post with tracking and sine for,around fifteen items never lost one very luckey, I send saphires to tyeland for cutting mark mineral samples no losses YET, Cheers.

Latest posts