Divining rods for sapphire hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice read Bill... I knew there are Believers and Users out there.... There are a few Believers on here, but many non believers... Keep waving the Rods.. And find those Stones... :Y:

What material do you use for your Rods?....

LW....

silver said:
Long enough to pop the two you musta missed Lefty lol :D

Damn, and the bloke next door was using them for dad as well! :lol: Old Inky - still alive and living not far from Russian gully but now being cared for - went over the place not with two wires but with a single piece of bent copper tubing held in both hands. I remember watching the thing actually give the appearence of moving of it's own accord in his hands.

LoneWolf said:
Very nice read Bill... I knew there are Believers and Users out there.... There are a few Believers on here, but many non believers... Keep waving the Rods.. And find those Stones... :Y:

What material do you use for your Rods?....

LW....

Hence my previous question re high tensile or mild........anybody?

BTW D&S, Deloreans are getting rarer.......

Andrew from Aussie Sapphire uses Rusty Old Fencing Wire.... I have been told to use Zinc Brazing Rods from a Water Diviner.... There's plenty of info on the net about what to use... :)

LW....

Hi Frostoss and Lone Wolf,

You both query the material of my rods. I just use bent coat hangers so I guess mild steel? My gut feeling is that, as aussiefarmer says, it depends more on the person than on the material the rods are made from.

Hi Lefty,

I'm not as far down Goana Flats as the gulley. I'm at the end of Ruby Crescent - so I'd be on Bedford Hill.

Just my take on wires. I use 2 aluminium wires about 4mm have 100 percent strike rate on finding wash from 2 feet to 40 feet can pick forks in the old streams and have followed them for about half a km checking in with other claim holders as to how it fits with there mining. Unfortunately not all wash carries sapphires and not all sapphire bearing wash carries sapphires 100 percent of its length.
I have found the wires react to sapphires but also to some quartz so I use them as a guide where to put a shaft on wash but can't guarantee sapphires as those little buggers just love to play hide and seek.
Ps for Lefty I believe Inky is now chasing stones in that fossicing ground in the sky. Dave

In the early '90's I also saw wires being used around the Rubyvale/Sapphire fields but was always sceptical.

Then one day back at home this old bloke was talking divining and making some, to my mind, quite rash statements. The missus took me aside and whispered "what about the underground watering system?"

Flash as a quick I had him some wire and said we have underground pipes for garden watering, do you reckon you can find them. A look of doubt came over him, I don't know about the pipes, but if there's water in them I can show you where they run.
The block was about 60m x 40m, he set off from one corner to do a cross grid pattern. As he went along he would stop and say, water here, its not moving....within an hour he had plotted all of the underground water pipes including the house supply which he stated was moving and showed the direction.
I was converted!!

Now the interesting thing was is that an underground town gas supply came in from the back of the property and he would have walked over it many times as he traversed the block. Not once did he divine that gas filled gal. iron pipe.
Mike

Ron who owns/operates the Emmarville Mineral museum gave us a good demonstration. He reached in behind the seat of his ute and pulled out a couple of bent wires and demonstrated their use on various minerals. It all depended on what was held in the hand in contact with the divining rod. He said there was no reason we couldn't successfully use this method to find gold as well. We've carried a couple of rods ever since but have failed to get them out at the right time.

Ps for Lefty I believe Inky is now chasing stones in that fossicing ground in the sky. Dave

Thanks for letting us know Dave. Vale Grahame Bell-Chambers. So passes one of the most colourful characters of the field.

I remember watching him divining with a single length of bent copper tube.

Ron Jillet is one of about 10 Volunteer's who run the Museum on behalf of the Glen Innes Severn Council..... I know Ron well and He would say that it is His 'Baby'. :) .. After all He was one of the Main Players that got the whole Show going.... And it wasn't Easy.... They have had to jump through some Hoops to get it to what it is Today.... The 'Curnow' Collection was bequeathed to the Emmaville Community and this Collection started the Mining Museum... :)

And Yes Ron is Good on his Rods... ;)

LW....

Me chatting to Ron a couple of months ago.
Great bloke to talk to.

1514778526_1508736333_p1000392.jpg

I walked into the Museum a few years ago with a Kiwi mate(first time in Emmaville for Him)...Ron and his Wife were there and took one look at my Mate and soon realised that they used to 'Babysit' my mate back in NZ many moons ago and lived next door to him for a few years... Talk about a small world...... Ron has showed me some of his SS (secret spots) that have been on my Fav list for quite a few years now.... Glad He is looking Well now after a little scare... :Y:

https://www.gleninneshighlands.com/emmaville-mining-museum/

Have you fellas been to the Emmaville Geological Centre on Gulf Rd ?...Run by Steve Cullen who is also a Museum Volunteer... His Property has the old De Milhous Emerald Mine... Well worth a visit too... :)

LW....

About 15 years back I lived in Nth Qld and asked a local guy to put down a bore. He turned up with divining rods, and I left him to do his thing and returned in about 10 minutes. He had already found water and said there was a run of water running through my yard. I was sceptical but he said "watch this then" and proceeded showing me how the rods crossed.
Still sceptical I decided to accept his offer to show me how they work and walked the length of my yard with no results. Then I walked across the yard and the rods crossed. The guy said "Now look to your left and you'll see a white marker" I did and there was. "Now look to your right and you'll see a white marker" Again there it was. I was standing in the middle of where the water ran under my property.

Most sceptics can't get their head around one fact. Not everyone can do it. It's the same as driving a Maccas straw through a raw potato. I can do that too, and not many can.
I just made my own set of rods and tested them in the yard and they feel "alive". Mind you I'm built on an old railway yard so I'm not surprised. I can feel the rods have like a "force" around them and even work against the wind.
We are off to The Willows on saturday morning and should arrive on sunday. I'm taking the rods with me and will test myself out on sapphires, but I'm going to take a small sapphire stone with me to hold in my hand as I try. It's something I was told to try years ago and is said to work with gold as well.
I'm confident I can find water without any problem, but only hopeful I can find some sapphires. It should work though.
A tip I was given. When you are divining you should concentrate on the rods until you can actually see water between them. Yes, it does sound a bit voodoo but it works, I did it and so can a lot of you. With water anyway.

Try forcing a straw through a raw potato. If you hold the straw on the potato and focus only where the straw actually touches the potato if you concentrate hard enough you will eventually see the "juice" of the potato bubble out, then you lift the straw and drive it through the potato. Like stabbing it, and don't lose your concentration. Neat party trick. If you can do that you can find water with rods.

Cheers.
Badge.

About 15 years back I lived in Nth Qld and asked a local guy to put down a bore. He turned up with divining rods, and I left him to do his thing and returned in about 10 minutes. He had already found water and said there was a run of water running through my yard. I was sceptical but he said "watch this then" and proceeded showing me how the rods crossed.
Still sceptical I decided to accept his offer to show me how they work and walked the length of my yard with no results. Then I walked across the yard and the rods crossed. The guy said "Now look to your left and you'll see a white marker" I did and there was. "Now look to your right and you'll see a white marker" Again there it was. I was standing in the middle of where the water ran under my property.

Most sceptics can't get their head around one fact. Not everyone can do it. It's the same as driving a Maccas straw through a raw potato. I can do that too, and not many can.
I just made my own set of rods and tested them in the yard and they feel "alive". Mind you I'm built on an old railway yard so I'm not surprised. I can feel the rods have like a "force" around them and even work against the wind.
We are off to The Willows on saturday morning and should arrive on sunday. I'm taking the rods with me and will test myself out on sapphires, but I'm going to take a small sapphire stone with me to hold in my hand as I try. It's something I was told to try years ago and is said to work with gold as well.
I'm confident I can find water without any problem, but only hopeful I can find some sapphires. It should work though.
A tip I was given. When you are divining you should concentrate on the rods until you can actually see water between them. Yes, it does sound a bit voodoo but it works, I did it and so can a lot of you. With water anyway.

Try forcing a straw through a raw potato. If you hold the straw on the potato and focus only where the straw actually touches the potato if you concentrate hard enough you will eventually see the "juice" of the potato bubble out, then you lift the straw and drive it through the potato. Like stabbing it, and don't lose your concentration. Neat party trick. If you can do that you can find water with rods.

Cheers.
Badge.
Bit like the water divining test by SA Geological Survey using a water diviner, a geologist and a farmer. The farmer had most success, the diviner the least - but given there is some water in most ground it is all relative :) Unfortunately noone sets up true statistical tests for this - without evidence it is belief.

Whereas to me it is more likely that local knowledge increases the chance of success the most, knowing where to look geologically improves the odds....I can't buy divining but why not do a test? Not difficult.