Garrett Ace 200i information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals..I kicked off this hobby last year with a basic xterra and really did not enjoy it,I was struggling with it all lol.so frustration took over and I sold it...I want to give it another go and am considering the ace 200i to start again..is it a good choice,or at least a better choice than the xterra
Cheers

Unfortunately really the only person that can find out whether a detector personally suits you, is yourself. Choosing a detector, particularly in the starter/mid range can be a bit of a lottery on which will fit the bill, mainly due to the sheer numbers out there with different levels of ability and feature sets. Personally I think going from the 305 to the 200i is a bit of a backward step with respect to performance, as for ease of use, once again something you will have to find out for yourself.

Strangely enough I originally went from a multi-tone x-terra 305 to a single tone Tesoro Vaquero, of which I found the easier and more fun detector of the two to use. First time I walked into an extremely junky park with the 305, it was simply a case of information overload, combined with a lack of knowledge/experience on that detector at the time which made for not a very enjoyable detect. Given more time, I'm sure I would have enjoyed using te 305, guess I was a bit impatient on finding the "right" detector for me. What I did learn via the Vaquero, is how much easier it was detecting using tones vs relying predominantly on target ID's, and that knowledge and experience has since carried over to other detectors that I currently use.

A cheaper detector with lesser ability may be easier to use on shallower targets, though at the same time frustrating to use when progressing on to deeper pre-decimal targets, hence why a mid range detector with good all-round ability might be less frustating to use. How do you know whether it suits with regards to tones, ease of use use, ergonomics etc, pretty much the only way to find out is to make a purchase and give it a good go. If it doesn't suit (as with the 305), move it on and try something different - that's how I landed with a select few detectors that I really enjoy to use.

You really need a number of months to get your head around any given detector, even if it does seem overwhelming at first. Stick to factory programs/settings a first and try not to overcomplicate things too much, dial back the sensitivity and start off on the shallower targets before progressing to more problematic deeper/older targets. The beach would have to be one of the best places to learn a detector (dry sand), even if it means planting some coin and junk targets at varying depths to see how your detector responds.

Also don't be afraid to look at a more upmarket second hand detectors, I've purchased quite a few used VLF's in the past with absolutely zero mechanical or electrical issues cropping up over the years, look for detectors that have had little useage or have been well looked after by the owner. :)

Bigjim, what ever you decide on, make sure it has target ID. That's a number that signifies the target under the coil. Different detectors have different ranges and some have 2 or 3 different sounds associated with those different ranges. I too started out with a low level detector and it drove me mad. Once I "bit the bullet" and bought a decent detector it was hooked. For the record my coin and relic detector was a Garrett AT Pro which has just died but anything I get in the future will have TARGET ID.

Good luck

I used one. Very basic but will find stuff. In the detector world, you do get what you pay for. More of a entry level beginners detector.

Rod dont know about the 200 but the 400i is the AT Pro without the waterproofing, basically. Good machine. And about $600 I think. But any Garrett with decrimination, however basic is better than no discrim. Good luck with your choice.

I have not used one but the Ace series are a very reliable product. As always I recommend spending as much as you can to get the highest model in any series..... More performance and more features. ;)

It all depends how serious you are, what ground you want to mainly work on and most of all what you are mainly looking for.

My first detector was a cheap one from Jaycar, lasted about 2 days and returned it. I did my research and decided to go for the Makro Gold Racer and was not disappointed. I still have it as my go to VLF and it is great. I could of gone down another 2 paths, the Minelab Xterra or the Garrett AT Pro Gold but decided on the MAKRO.
AT Pro Gold was mainly cool because full water proof, but because I don't go much in the water the makro was the go. Plus came with a free Makro Pin Pointer and they work great. Cost $950 all up.

I am not sure if I went back if I would do it different. Worked out good for me.

What are the differences between an ACE 400 and an ACE 400i ?

• Redivision of mid-tone/high-tone audio break points.[/*]
  • Increased number of Iron Discrim pixels.[/*]
  • U.S. coins removed from target legend.[/*]
  • Variance in Mode/Discrim patterns.[/*]

Link http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/ace-400i/

Latest posts