Minelab Goldseeker 15,000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my hands on an ancient minelab 15000 unit pretty cheaply today. I know it's old and not amazing by today's standards but should be a fun starter.

I've read that it uses VLF technology ( I'm guessing that's very low frequency??) and I was curious if I could use any different coils on it, being so old.

What can you guys tell me about it?

Thanks, Joe.

Hi JOE,
Found some nice nuggets and coins from the Goldern Triangle with a new 15000 back in the day. Once you spend some time with it, the various target sounds will just about tell you what it is. As far as coils go you maybe able to find an old 6 inch for the smaller gold, especially in heaps.
Enjoy, nothing wrong with old detectors, I just gave my old Tesoro VLF a swing at Rushworth. Found some buckshot and other lead in well worked heaps ( checked with my 4500 with 12 inch NF coil,,, didn't miss anything) but must admit though, the new units are easier to use in hot ground especially the hot rocks.
Cheers
Diablo

Thanks grubstake

And yep, sure is Martin. I recon a little plastic welding should do the job.

Diablo said:
Hi JOE,
Found some nice nuggets and coins from the Goldern Triangle with a new 15000 back in the day. Once you spend some time with it, the various target sounds will just about tell you what it is. As far as coils go you maybe able to find an old 6 inch for the smaller gold, especially in heaps.
Enjoy, nothing wrong with old detectors, I just gave my old Tesoro VLF a swing at Rushworth. Found some buckshot and other lead in well worked heaps ( checked with my 4500 with 12 inch NF coil,,, didn't miss anything) but must admit though, the new units are easier to use in hot ground especially the hot rocks.
Cheers
Diablo

Ah, sounds good! So is VLF very low frequency?

So do the smaller coils work better in the junk? What's the point of a big coil then.. And dual ones for that matter?

Thanks,
Joe

Very high,,I always have a reasonable magnet on a stick/end of your pick is good. Make sure you keep it away from electronics!
1503731967_image.jpg

Hi Joe so after 18 months or so how did things work out with your Goldseeker 15000, I got one of these recently with a snapped lower shaft (badly repaired) and missing battery holders both faults now sorted , the 8coil also had a small crack adjacent to one of the lugs and has been repaired with araldite. It seems to be working ok, deeper than my Bountyhunter Tk4 but not as easy to use.
Did you ever find smaller coil and if so what was it like?

Blackgreg

Latest posts