Illegal spoon mining Queensland (Qld)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just a heads up. I was just told to get out of a national park by two rangers and could have faced multiple fines for panning next to a bridge. Apparently it's illegal regardless of scale. Here is my little excavator that luckily was not confiscated.
1503622156_images_7.jpg

OK... So exactly what did you do wrong?
I thought you were good in national parks up there...... permits and all govt BS in place :eek:

Suppose I can understand the bridge thing, but what the F.....????

Bazz said:
I thought you were good in national parks up there...... permits and all govt BS in place :eek:

1 nothing can be removed from a national park and 2 disturbing the natural flow of the water course.

Lucky it wasn't you 7.62. Could have turned that spoon into a deadly weapon. They would have had no idea.

Fossicking in National Parks is illegal in QLD.

Fossicking within a defined distance of a bridge or culvert is also illegal. Reference: QLD Fossicking Act 1994

Fines apply and yes equipment can be confiscated (vehicles too I've been told)

Use of highbankers with water supplied by a pump also illegal in QLD according to some (including Mines Dept inspector) but many disagree on this.

Their (Mines) logic is..you cant use power operated water pumps to assist fossicking...and you are still fossicking (including processing) dirt until you find the fossicikng material ( gold or gems).

You can sell ringside seats to the fight and disagreements that follow a post such as this.

My advice is for people to read the QLD Fossicking Act and satisfy themselves. No-one has been prosecuted to best of my knowledge.

Highbankers and rockers using a hand operated water pump seem to be quite OK.

Can someone now start supplying popcorn.... :)

Fossicking within a defined distance of a bridge or culvert is also illegal.

YES and same for Boat ramps etc...
Even using a yabby pump or a sand scoop chasing coin - too close to a boat ramp can get you into trouble...

And as one who has stepped into a big hole at the edge of a boat ramp... not fun or a good look :)

As per usual it is hard to define the gray and thus a catch all is in place that can have you caught out...

Why would you fossick in a National Park anyhow? :rolleyes: If I was the ranger I would have fined you .... There are only a couple of National Parks that you can fossick in, and to my knowledge Both are in NSW... And these will probably be Closed Down when NPWS Bring out their new Policy... :mad:

LW......

Glad your not a ranger :eek: you could have ended up with a spoon where the sun don't shine. I know I was in the wrong now. It's a spot people have been openly panning and other activities for years so didn't think it was an issue.

MikeB05 said:
Fossicking in National Parks is illegal in QLD.

Fossicking within a defined distance of a bridge or culvert is also illegal. Reference: QLD Fossicking Act 1994

Fines apply and yes equipment can be confiscated (vehicles too I've been told)

Use of highbankers with water supplied by a pump also illegal in QLD according to some (including Mines Dept inspector) but many disagree on this.

Their (Mines) logic is..you cant use power operated water pumps to assist fossicking...and you are still fossicking (including processing) dirt until you find the fossicikng material ( gold or gems).

You can sell ringside seats to the fight and disagreements that follow a post such as this.

My advice is for people to read the QLD Fossicking Act and satisfy themselves. No-one has been prosecuted to best of my knowledge.

Highbankers and rockers using a hand operated water pump seem to be quite OK.

Can someone now start supplying popcorn.... :)

High mike, not that i'm arguing the point, i just can't find any reference to this in the act you supplied? Would you clarify it's position in the act please. cheers, SS.

Goldfreak said:
Bazz said:

1 nothing can be removed from a national park and 2 disturbing the natural flow of the water course.

Better do some more research before my trip north!!!
I'll leave my eating implements at home for this one ;) :cool: O:)

Bazz said:

Hi Bazz, FYI.

Within watercourses, you must not:

excavate within 40m of any bridge, weir or other structure, unless signs indicate otherwise
excavate on the slopes of banks, or within 3m of the top or toe of banks, where such activities may cause the collapse of the banks
significantly interrupt or divert the flow of the stream
cause any significant turbidity more than 300m downstream
interfere with any trees or shrubs in the watercourse
erect any structures in the watercourse.
On leaving, refill all excavations and place excess material so as to minimise disturbance to the channel and significant streamflows.

And

However, fossicking is not permitted in:

national parks, conservation parks and high preservation areas
nominated waterways of wild river areas
state forests and timber reserves, except in the declared fossicking areas or general permission areas (see below)
areas where there has been a determination that native title exists, unless there is an Indigenous Land Use Agreement for the land that permits fossicking
other areas declared by regulation (these will be signposted).
If in doubt, check with the local mining registrar.

Goldfreak was fossicking illegaly and has tried to make light of the situation. I can assure you this forum and it's members do not condone this type of behaviour. :mad:

If your going to be stupid enough to post confirmation that you were illegally fossicking Goldfreak, then at least have the decency not to treat it as a joke :N: . SS.

edited for spell check.ss.

A common mistake. See others doing somthig and assume it is OK...

Hence even on my permissions i never go where people might be able to see me.

Lost a few because others think that because they may have seen me detecting. that it is OK to climb fences and worse to get to the area i was..

I see people speeding and on the phone while they are driving... But know it is wrong. When it comes to fossicking there are big fines and and all sorts of crap
re land access / permissions/ lease etc

So unless i am 100% i dont do it. refused many a trip where people say it is OK but even my basic understanding says otherwise...

And National Parks have always been a big No No fir lots of activities...

Even using a detector in a lake or swiming hole is a No No. unless your after a spicific lost item and every thing else is ignored.... I know as had to get permission to recover a wedding ring. lots of 1c and 2c and they all went back. ring pulls and bottle tops in the bin. The moment i found the ring... I had to stop and pack the detector away.

Almost too complicated to work out what you can do and where....

Latest posts