9kg Gympie nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard of a 9kg nugget saved from the brink of extinction from a creek in Gympie....i am yet to see the rescue pictures of this poor specimen however the platinum that is elleged to be attached would give some indication of its ancestry. ..

Yes, I can confirm I heard the same thing. From Sunshine Coast I heard. And yup, with Platinum.
The retirement nugget. It is going through a private sale so I think we will see pictures only after the sale is complete.

Hopefully there are a few more out there for us all. :)

What????
Are there school holidays coming up soon?

Always seems to be a big nugget found around holidays!!

Sid and his nugget has been on the news twice this year!!!
:D

1503632032_p417a.jpg

This platinum speci is cool, has gold imbedded all through it. Not aussie though.

hAyyoUinAU said:
grubstake said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
It is not uncommon
And you know this because...?
Do some research.

Mate, most of us are here to share our knowledge and experience and hopefully learn more, not play games. Platinum mining in Australia has been extremely limited in extent and Aussie gold is unusually low in PGE's, according to the head of the Perth Mint. If you know something different, now's your chance to shine. :)

hAyyoUinAU said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10637/1503632032_p417a.jpg

This platinum speci is cool, has gold imbedded all through it. Not aussie though.

Yes and extremely rare too.

https://goldnuggetsales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1127

Quote: "This incredible natural Platinum Nugget comes from Kondyer Massif in the Eastern Siberian Region of Russia. It has multiple crystals and it has gold layered into the textured surface of the nugget. This amazing platinum specimen is 1/4" long, and weighs 16.6 Grains (1.08 Gram). Platinum Nuggets like this one are very rare and make a great investment and are a wonderful addition to any mineral collection. It comes with a location card authenticating the discovery location and certifying the fact that it is a natural platinum crystal nugget.

The discription of that exact nugget states, "gold layered into the textured surface", not "embedded all through" the nugget.

Heatho said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10637/1503632032_p417a.jpg

Yes and extremely rare too.

https://goldnuggetsales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1127

Quote: "This incredible natural Platinum Nugget comes from Kondyer Massif in the Eastern Siberian Region of Russia. It has multiple crystals and it has gold layered into the textured surface of the nugget. This amazing platinum specimen is 1/4" long, and weighs 16.6 Grains (1.08 Gram). Platinum Nuggets like this one are very rare and make a great investment and are a wonderful addition to any mineral collection. It comes with a location card authenticating the discovery location and certifying the fact that it is a natural platinum crystal nugget.

The discription of that exact nugget states, "gold layered into the textured surface", not "embedded all through" the nugget.

Anyone posting dodgy stuff on this forum for a joke may find themselves banned. Just a heads up. ;)

Read my post after, I clearly corrected myself.

Just like the initial post, and I concurred that I had heard the same thing from 2nd hand information. And reliable. But nah... no pic means its not true.
Anyways whatever

Even Gold nuggets are classed as rare, doesn't mean they don't get found. And gold is a bit easier to see than platinum nuggets.

grubstake said:
madhatter said:
What????
Are there school holidays coming up soon?
Always seems to be a big nugget found around holidays!!
Sid and his nugget has been on the news twice this year!!!
:D

And a new model detector from Minelab due to be announced mid-September! :lol:

I'd say I heard something about this too from a Minelab rep as to what it is but I think from now on I will keep my information to myself.

Anyways I am pretty sure it is a relic machine with new type of discrimination. Equinox or something is their new tech I think.

Don't go quoting me on it, its just what was passed on to me.

Latest posts