I'm Back And Have Some Great Finds!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, cant wait to head out this weekend. Just had a tip off from a local in the town of a old picnic area all the people used to go to back in the 1900's. Virgin ground too

Some very nice finds. I am not surprised with some of them being found in that location especially that this area was one of the first areas east of Perth settled. Do you know anything else about the 2 WAIB?

That .303 round is possibly a Mk VI with 215gr projectile and could date from anywhere between 1889 and 1917. A good clear picture of the headstamp on the base of the cartridge would be nice, that would allow more positive identification.

shakergt said:
Some very nice finds. I am not surprised with some of them being found in that location especially that this area was one of the first areas east of Perth settled. Do you know anything else about the 2 WAIB?

Nah only thing i found out is it means West Australian Imperial bushman. Very rare badge . Yeah very old area but just about done the area to death now. Time to find more locations inland :)

Whisp said:
That .303 round is possibly a Mk VI with 215gr projectile and could date from anywhere between 1889 and 1917. A good clear picture of the headstamp on the base of the cartridge would be nice, that would allow more positive identification.

Cleaned the base up and it has 7 / 16 as the date :)

Not a good start to Saturday, we got a good 120klm to our location , left home 6am and as im driving there i realised i forgot my pin pointer !
Total pain in the ass. I thought about turning around but thought stuff it, head there and do my best without it. As doon as i found my first target i found out how hard and annoying it would be especially using a 15" coil. Next target i crouched down then BAMM! Stung in the ass crack but a huge stinging ant. Had about 10 all over by shows and socks. I didn't realize i crouched on top if a nest . Hurt like hell. Next target i broke the shovel handle. I had had enough. Drove 2 hours only to detect for 15 min. Drove home with a sore ass. Went to bunnings and bought a shovel then headed back. It wasnt going to win so i drove all the way back no joke. Arrived back there 1pm. Had a few good finds....... Total of 800klm
Spotted this little gemstone in this silver pendant. The gemstone came out while cleaning but i found it
Silver gemstone pendant by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Silver pendant, gemstone fell out but saved them by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Loved this 1933 penny surface find under a big tree, picture as i found it
See the coin???
Spot the surface find 1933 penny? by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Surface find 1933 penny by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Surface find 1933 penny by Marc Russo, on Flickr

tailormarc said:
shakergt said:

Nah only thing i found out is it means West Australian Imperial bushman. Very rare badge . Yeah very old area but just about done the area to death now. Time to find more locations inland :)

Marc, great finds and your excellent photos as usual. I couldn't find where in your post that 2 WAIB was referenced, but if it is associated with military stuff at all WAIB, could refer to West Australian Infantry Brigade. The following link provides some information in that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_Brigade_(Australia)

Rob P.

PabloP said:
tailormarc said:
shakergt said:

Marc, great finds and your excellent photos as usual. I couldn't find where in your post that 2 WAIB was referenced, but if it is associated with military stuff at all WAIB, could refer to West Australian Infantry Brigade. The following link provides some information in that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_Brigade_(Australia)

Rob P.

Cheers Rob! Thats what i thought first off then some guy who claims to be an expert on these and Boar war offered me a sum of cash i couldnt refuse as he said it was boar was west aust imperial bushman. I sold it to him but never found out which it was

tailormarc said:
Not a good start to Saturday, we got a good 120klm to our location , left home 6am and as im driving there i realised i forgot my pin pointer !
Total pain in the ass. I thought about turning around but thought stuff it, head there and do my best without it. As doon as i found my first target i found out how hard and annoying it would be especially using a 15" coil. Next target i crouched down then BAMM! Stung in the ass crack but a huge stinging ant. Had about 10 all over by shows and socks. I didn't realize i crouched on top if a nest . Hurt like hell. Next target i broke the shovel handle. I had had enough. Drove 2 hours only to detect for 15 min. Drove home with a sore ass. Went to bunnings and bought a shovel then headed back. It wasnt going to win so i drove all the way back no joke. Arrived back there 1pm. Had a few good finds....... Total of 800klm

Now I know that is not funny, but could not stop laughing.
Have done a few of those trips before as i am sure others have.

thanks for the story, photos and laugh.

Well what a hardcore detexting 4 days, leaving home each day at 5.30am to detect country downs 200klm away then home by 3pm. Lots of walking through bush and some interesting finds.
One of the most odd was some bush land that looked like nothing by standing in front of it but on the old maps they were listed as old blocks and may have had houses on them. While walking through the thick bush with 5cm of leaf litter i started hitting penny and half penny targets . Then three pence and 6 pence, shillings then a scouts badge then a peace medal. All this within a 80m x 80m area. Just about no junk either. All coins dated from 1911-1963 and a hell of alot of them. Im thinking it might of been a two up area or something...
Sunbaker!
Love finding sunbakers son the surface by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Nice condition sixpence
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Cleaned up nice by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Unusual to find english coins dated after the Aussie ones had come in already
English 1928 penny by Marc Russo, on Flickr

English 1928 penny by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Old scouts badge by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Old scouts badge by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Carefully cleaned up by Marc Russo, on Flickr

The back of the scouts badge, some faint markings too by Marc Russo, on Flickr

1919 victory/peace medal by Marc Russo, on Flickr

The days coin finds by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Jackpot in the middle of the bush. Must of been a spot where there was two up /gambling by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Unusual pointy thing by Marc Russo, on Flickr

roy cobb said:
You would have to be happy with the finds and coins thats a great selection there thats one great area worth the dive.

Cheers, yep very very sore after 4 days of that but so much well worth it

tailormarc said:

Even yesterday's finds would be worth the effort not bad ar all
Roy

Went to another little town and found these. First one if a very odd one. Its a japanese WW2 machine gun round.
A very odd find. WW2 Japanese bullet shell. Most likely brought back by a WW2 Veteren by Marc Russo, on Flickr

A very odd find. WW2 Japanese bullet shell. Most likely brought back by a WW2 Veteren by Marc Russo, on Flickr

WAGR button in pretty good condition...
Western Australian Government Railways button I found this morning by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Western Australian Government Railways button I found this morning by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Religious silver pendant found good friday
Religious silver pendant I found today by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Religious silver pendant I found today cleaned up by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Religious silver pendant I found today cleaned up by Marc Russo, on Flickr

Quite a rare thing to find... 1930's English tin toy wind up key

1940's lipstick stick full with lipstick on it
1920s lipstick by Marc Russo, on Flickr

1920s lipstick by Marc Russo, on Flickr