Gemstones around Gippsland ( Victoria )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zan

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm from gippsland (near warragul) and am a newby to gem fossicking; iv always had a keen interest in gems and have collected pretty rocks etc since I was a kid. I was just wondering if anyone knew some good places around here to find something?? Is there anything in the tarago..?
Any info or advice you can give would be appreciated:) i might be going to the warragul lapidary club on Sunday to see if I can learn something, but in the meantime anything you lovely people can tell me regarding locations, handy hints/tips for a novice etc would be greatly appreciated:) iv got my heart set on finding something/anything! thanks:)
P.S if anyone around here wants some company on a fossicking trip or feels like teaching a couple of newbys (my boyfriend is interested also) we might be able to meet up on a weekend?
-Alexandra

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have found some garnets in Bullumwal. I was not really looking for gems, just gold. There are few guys on the forum from Gippsland with lot more knowledge about gems than me. I am sure they will point you in the right direction.
Good luck with your search and show us what you find. :)

Beagleboy said:
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have found some garnets in Bullumwal. I was not really looking for gems, just gold. There are few guys on the forum from Gippsland with lot more knowledge about gems than me. I am sure they will point you in the right direction.
Good luck with your search and show us what you find. :)
Thanks Beagleboy! if I do find something someday, I'll be sure to post it;)

I'm not familiar with Gippsland and surrounds, but a weekend trip to Daylesford area will net you lots of Zircons, possibly Garnets and on rare occasions Sapphires. Some good gold can be collected from this area also. None of these gems will be worth much but I collect them to add to my display.

Once you reach 10 posts PM (Private Message) me and I can give you a few other locations.

Cheers

Golden Tiger said:
I'm not familiar with Gippsland and surrounds, but a weekend trip to Daylesford area will net you lots of Zircons, possibly Garnets and on rare occasions Sapphires. Some good gold can be collected from this area also. None of these gems will be worth much but I collect them to add to my display.

Once you reach 10 posts PM (Private Message) me and I can give you a few other locations.

Cheers
Thanks golden tiger! When I'm able to i'll PM you for sure:) sounds like I need to plan a trip to daylesford! I'm not fussed on value of what I find, I just want to find some pretty things:)

Hare_Twigga said:
The tarago is worth a look! I prospect out that way often.
Oh really?! What have you found in the tarago before? Gold/gems..? Do u prospect on private land or a public area? Thanks!

Hate to be a wet blanket but The Tarago is on the exempt list which is a shame because they found plenty of gems in it, especially when they built the dam. Powell Town is probably the best go, i have heard that Toorongo holds gems but I have never had it verified. As you said warragul lapidary club is the go for info. Cheers balx

Never knew that.... Had a browse at the exempt list but never saw it. There's all sorts of crystals gold gems in the tarago.

Any ways you can still prospect around the hillsides.
1397207336_img_0333.jpg

You don't find these in the creeks!

Are the Smokeys? Look huge, Its probably something not enough people takes advantage of, everyone always sticks to the creeks. Never been much of a gem man but I found a few at Eldorado and have started to get into it.

There's smokeys around but these were clear. When I need to rethink my gold strategies I go gem hunting, It's a bit of fun but nothing compared to when your pan is grinning at you!

1397208144_img_0592.jpg

A bloke told me Quartz Crystal over a foot long have been found out neerim way, That one would have been close?

I've never found any real big ones but it's only a matter of time I guess... I'm back on gold again now so could be a long time!

thedigger said:
You can get green sapphires in Donnellys creek above Walhalla up to 5cts

Thedigger
Nice! Have you come across them before digger? Are they very rare/hard to find?

Balx said:
Hate to be a wet blanket but The Tarago is on the exempt list which is a shame because they found plenty of gems in it, especially when they built the dam. Powell Town is probably the best go, i have heard that Toorongo holds gems but I have never had it verified. As you said warragul lapidary club is the go for info. Cheers balx
That's a shame about the tarago seeing as that's the closest river to me, damn! What sort of gems can be found in there out of curiosity? Are they known to be abundant? I hadn't given the tarago much thought as I'd never come across any info on it in regards to gem stones. Might have to give powelltown and the toorongo a shot though! Have you been to powelltown before and had much luck there yourself Balx? Thanks!

Hare_Twigga said:
Any ways you can still prospect around the hillsides.
You don't find these in the creeks!
Thanks for sharing the photos HareTwigga! How do you know where to look on hillsides/land based fossicking?? Are there any signs or types of soil to look for? I wouldn't have a clue of where to start and how deep to dig etc, are there any tips you can give..? Thanks!

Latest posts