Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
I keep seeing all the food but no recipes :( :( :( Come on fellas.
Mackka

My dry rub and glaze is done by taste, so I don't have measurements. the below is for pork...

Dry Rub - garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, brown sugar, paprika and cayenne

Glaze its the dry rub, plus honey, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and more brown sugar depending on how sticky and sweet u like it, can be thinned out with apple juice.

Mackka said:
My sincere thanks for you parting with that information itsdw, very generous.
Can I use that in a conventional oven as I don't have Weber or smoker?
Mackka

Send me a PM mate. Ill give you some info

Mackka said:
My sincere thanks for you parting with that information itsdw, very generous.
Can I use that in a conventional oven as I don't have Weber or smoker?
Mackka

I find these type of questions interesting. Can I cook this in an oven? smoker? camp oven? BBQ? weber? etc etc. The flavours, spices etc are one thing but the cooking method should be the same. Weight of the item to be cooked and the heat and time should all be very similar no matter what device you are cooking in.

Anything i cook on my weber kettle. Can for sure be cooked in an oven. The main difference is. I can impart more flavour by cooking with charcoal and by using smoking timbers to help flavour. I cook roasts now by the internal temp of the meat rather than a time per kg. Low and slow cooking is a lot more forgiving. Just takes the time commitment. I cook anywhere up to 10 hours currently. Im no expert. However. If anyone has any questions. Im happy to tell them what i know. I cook on a $80 second hand weber kettle. No need for expensive smokers or cookers.

itsdw said:
Anything i cook on my weber kettle. Can for sure be cooked in an oven. The main difference is. I can impart more flavour by cooking with charcoal and by using smoking timbers to help flavour. I cook roasts now by the internal temp of the meat rather than a time per kg. Low and slow cooking is a lot more forgiving. Just takes the time commitment. I cook anywhere up to 10 hours currently. Im no expert. However. If anyone has any questions. Im happy to tell them what i know. I cook on a $80 second hand weber kettle. No need for expensive smokers or cookers.

+1
cook to temp. Not time.

Hard Luck said:
itsdw said:

+1
cook to temp. Not time.

Internal temp for reverse sear and basic roasts etc. Low and slow is all about pit temp and time. Internal twmps dont play a part. As you are gwnerally looking for that magic 203f

itsdw said:
I cook roasts now by the internal temp of the meat rather than a time per kg. Low and slow cooking is a lot more forgiving... I cook on a $80 second hand weber kettle. No need for expensive smokers or cookers.

Very good advice! If you can cook, you don't need expensive gadgets to produce a good meal. And low and slow is definitely worth the time!

itsdw said:
Hard Luck said:
itsdw said:

+1
cook to temp. Not time.

Internal temp for reverse sear and basic roasts etc. Low and slow is all about pit temp and time. Internal twmps dont play a part. As you are gwnerally looking for that magic 203f

ermm..I think youv'e got it mixered up a bit there mate. A simple search on "cook to temp. Not time." should explain it a bit better for you. No two pieces of meat are the same.

DrDuck said:
itsdw said:
I cook roasts now by the internal temp of the meat rather than a time per kg. Low and slow cooking is a lot more forgiving... I cook on a $80 second hand weber kettle. No need for expensive smokers or cookers.

Very good advice! If you can cook, you don't need expensive gadgets to produce a good meal. And low and slow is definitely worth the time!

The weber kettles are great to cook with and very versatile. I have 3 plus a smoker but I rarely use the smoker as I prefer the webers.

I know we don't NEED gadgets but I personally like them. I love the thermometer that I use. It has 2 probes, one for the meat and one for the oven/cooker. You can set alarms to go off if the oven temp gets too high or low and also when the meat is at temp. Great for those long, overnight cooks. :D Just take the wireless reciever wherever you are and you can keep ya eye on things.

1497909436_maverick-et73-probe-smoker-thermometer.jpg

Ha, RJ, that thermometer looks the goods, that's for sure!

Last night I made panco crumbed cutlets, but forgot to take a pic, so it did not happen! Special seasoning makes all the difference.

Tonight's effort was a pork cutlet, seasoned with salt, white pepper and fennel (fair dinkum, the most tasty seasoning for pork and lamb) - on a bed of spicy beans, with a salad on the side.
1497958153_pork_cutlet.jpg

Smoked and roasted a chook today :p
Will try and list the steps and ingredients so that anyone can have a crack at it, should they wish to ;)
I brined it for around seven hours ( following Captain Cook's method-Aussie BBQ Forum)

1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground garlic flakes
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 litres water

I also made a rub using the ingredients below,

3/4 cup kosher salt or Sea Salt

1/4 cup paprika (I used Smoked Paprika)

1/4 cup onion powder

1/4 cup garlic powder

1/4 cup italian seasoning (I just used some herbs I had in the cupboard)

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons dried thyme

2 tablespoons dry mustard

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons black pepper

I didn't use the exact amounts shown here but instead halved them so it would all fit in my little blender.

After brining I put the bird on its stand and left it overnight, uncovered in the fridge to dry the skin out.

From here on in, I basically followed this from John Setzler (Kamado Guru forum): https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/18062-kamado-joe-beer-can-chicken/

1498298746_roast_c_cook_1.jpg

1498298746_roast_c_cook_2.jpg

A couple of spuds that I par boiled and rolled in duck fat and olive oil, salt and pepper (Thanks Jamie Oliver for your awesome roast potato recipe). Few cloves of garlic in the dish and with the Dragon sitting at 180C , on it went. :cool:

1498298747_roast_c_cook_3.jpg

After an hour I basted the bird and squashed the spuds a bit and sprinkled some sage on them.
About 40 minutes later they looked like this. :p

1498298678_roast_c_cook_4.jpg

1498298679_roast_c_cook_5.jpg

Went with a nice simple avocado on toast with some melted cheese over the chicken for a mighty fine afternoon feast. ;)

1498298679_roast_c_cook_6.jpg

Cheers,

Billy.

Billy and Wishfull they look awesome, well done. Wishfull those spuds remind me of Cracker Night years ago when you would throw a few into the coals until they were charred, open them up and add butter. YUMMO.
Thanks for the recipe Billy.
Mackka :)

Latest posts