Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a couple of slices of bacon, threw them into the $5 aldi fry pan, small and compact.

Cooked both sides of bacon, cracked a couple of eggs over the top, flipped it in half when almost done, and done.

Eat straight from the pan. Heat up a bit of water in the pan after eating, breakfast was done.

1492515800_img_1735.jpg

This isn't something I cooked but an amazing meal we had recently. We went on a short cruise for a friends wedding and the night before we stayed at the Hyde Park Inn in Sydney. Didn't feel like going out so we ordered room service from the Restaurant in the hotel. Mazzaro Restaurant. WOW. We ordered the Mixed seafood plate for 2 : oysters, poached ocean trout, octopus & calamari and the Veal medallions, mushrooms, potato puree & porcini mushroom sauce. For dessert we had another taster plate and the whole meal was divine.

We enjoy our food and have been to some top restaurants This was in the top 3 or 4 meals we have ever had. We will definitely be going back.

1492517040_20170406_184744.jpg

1492517040_20170406_191351.jpg

Macca wanted the recipe for the calamari in my last post.

I've posted the recipe before, after a request from Sindyne.

There is no secret!

Because I can't get fresh calamari in Goulburn, I buy 1kg packets of Ocean Chef Squid Steaks at Woolworths. These are individually frozen in packets of two steaks. I just cut them into long strips lengthwise. As they are pre scored, they are nice and tender, and don't taste too bad. Obviously, if you can catch your own, it is better!

The marinade is an egg white, salt, pepper and chilli powder. I often add some Masterfoods spicy seasoning mix, particularly when using the frozen squid, as it benefits from a bit more flavour.

You can use anything you wish for seasoning, and it is nice to experiment to see what you like. Some fresh garlic is good. If you have really fresh squid its best to season more lightly, to let the flavor of the squid shine.

I dredged this batch in a mix of cornflour and self raising flour. Let the flour set on the squid for 10 or 15 mins, and drop the bits into a deep fryer until cooked and an attractive colour. Again, if you have really fresh squid, just use cornflour to get a lighter coating.

Fired up the Dragon the weekend before last, and had my first crack at some beef ribs.

Kept it simple with some American mustard applied and then salt/pepper as the rub:

1492582206_beef_rib_1.jpg

Smoked them low and slow over charcoal and banksia/hickory for the smoke.

Took them off when they looked like this and gave them a little rest.

1492582206_beef_rib_2.jpg

What a treat they were :p

I took these ones off at 92 deg internal and this was the result:

1492582175_beef_rib_3.jpg

This last photo was of another rack I cooked on the Easter weekend, using the exact same method, and I let them hit 96 deg internal, for this result:

1492582175_beef_rib_4.jpg

I can now say that these are my favourite feed to cook on the mighty Dragon and there is a distinct possibility that another rack will be on the cards this

weekend :p

Cheers,

Billy.

Must admit it is getting harder to resist not doing something about
this totally bad thread. ]:D
It is so bad I am going to have to do something about it as I am
getting a bit edgy on some of it. 8.(
I have nearly destroyed 2 monitors and countless key boards just
by staring with my tongue hanging out. ]:D
This is not a good scenario. 8)
( Just pinched DrDucks Squid recipe. ) ]:D ]:D

Latest posts