Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was my youngest daughter's 18th. It was significant in a number of ways. She wanted to go to the Goulburn Workers Club as it was Karaoke night, and got to buy her old dad a drink for the first time.

I had a sing, and won the $100 prize, and will be in the running for $1,000 in two weeks time.

On going to the change box to cash in my $100 voucher, the bloke said "you must be Dr Duck" (the haircut is pretty distinctive), and it turned out to be Eldorado, who I knew lived in Goulburn but had not previously met. It was great to put a face to the forum name, and I'm hoping to get out for a dig with El D. soon.

Anyway, Grace wanted lamb shanks for dinner on her birthday, so I did these,.

8 hour slow braised lamb shanks, finished in the oven and served over the pured and reduced braising sauce, with lemon and parsley oil (with a touch of garlic and white anchovy.) Peas and bacon and crusty bread on the side. Went down well.

1470924020_shank.jpg

Great to meet you DrDuck,congrats on the win mate and good luck for the final.Happy birthday to your daughter,she and I share a birthday.Gee those shanks look awesome.

Time to kick this thread in the guts!!! ;)

Pork belly that is :eek: :p

Fired up some heat beads for an indirect cook, installed a drip tray and it was game on!

1472818015_pk_belly_roast_2.jpg

Added some hickory chips to the coals and let the old red girl settle for a while...

1472818015_pk_belly_roast_3.jpg

Vegetables seasoned with some olive oil and salt/pepper.

Pork had a touch of chilli/canola oil on the meat and a combo of Himalayan salt on the skin (black, pink and white).

1472817939_pk_belly_roast_4.jpg

Had to resist the urge to check it every 10 minutes and after a couple of hours it came out looking like this....

1472817940_pk_belly_roast_5.jpg

Gave it an hour of rest time in the esky and finished the crackling under the grill...

1472817940_pk_belly_roast_6.jpg

The veges tasted alright too ;)

Cheers,

Hungry Billy :lol:

Reading the above threads,

Doc!!! Did you win the 1000 bucks? Did you get out for a dig with Mr Dorado?

Most importantly, what song did you sing to win a $100 cool ones?? :cool:

Cheers,

Billy.

Now its my mouth thats watering RJ!! :p

Would like to be one of your workmates if thats the sort of tucker you cook for them, yum!!

The roast looks mighty fine as well.

Did someone have a chew on the bone on far left? Doesn't look to be a lot of meat on it hahha :lol:

Cheers,

Billy.

Billy said:
Now its my mouth thats watering RJ!! :p

Would like to be one of your workmates if thats the sort of tucker you cook for them, yum!!

The roast looks mighty fine as well.

Did someone have a chew on the bone on far left? Doesn't look to be a lot of meat on it hahha :lol:

Cheers,

Billy.

Mrs RJ likes the shank to chew on :D

Billy said:
Reading the above threads,

Doc!!! Did you win the 1000 bucks? Did you get out for a dig with Mr Dorado?

Most importantly, what song did you sing to win a $100 cool ones?? :cool:

Cheers,

Billy.

Hey Billy,

No, I did not win the $1000, had a pretty heavy cold on the night, but the winning singer was pretty good.

On the $100 night, I sang Jace Everett's Bad Things, Stealer's Wheel Stuck in the Middle, Buble's Spider Man Theme (junky XL remix) and Trace Adkins Honky Tonk Bedonka Donk. I'm not sure which one did the trick, but the crowd normally like Honky Tonk Tonk Bedonka Donk!

I had some old friends visiting on Friday, so I cooked Chinese. I've been interested in authentic Chinese food for a long time now.

The menu was:

Prawn Toasts (wife's favorite).
Seafood and bean curd casserole
Twice cooked pork belly
Dry fried beans with pork mince and pickled vegetables
Braised eggplant with sweet soy and garlic (that was a big hit)
and finally Gong Bao Gai Ding, or Kung Pao Chicken ()

That's the only thing that I have a picture of. Basically it's chicken and peanuts in a spicy sauce with black vinegar and plenty of chilli and Szechuan pepper. It is one of my favorites.

1472994041_gong_bao_ji_ding.jpg

Latest posts