Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im so jelouse.....

Can the spiced corned beef in guiness be done inside as well?

Any tips you can share xobazzip?

Hungi looks good to rod, have to make sure we come along to a prospecting caming trip with you lol

Well compared to all the other yummy stuff mine seems a little boring but I did make a very acceptable pea and bacon rissotto

RJ requested a few photos of some of my cooking, following discussion on the Australian History thread.

First is monkfish with truffles, asparagus and buerre blanc sauce. I'm fortunate to have a good friend with a truffle farm!
1377438080_monkfish_asparagus_truffle_buerre_blanc.jpg

Next is roast beef with yorkshire pudding. Beef was well charred on the outside and nice and pink on the inside. Good local grass fed beef that had been dry aged.

1377438162_roast_beef_and_yorkshre_pudding.jpg

Good old fasioned roast pork and crakling, with duck fat potatoes
1377438236_roast_pork_cracking_duck_fat_potatoes.jpg

Poulet Valle d'Auge - chicken with cider, Calvados (apple brandy), apples and mushrooms, a classic French dish
1377438300_poulet_valle_d_auge.jpg

and finally snapper with scallops and tarragon beurre blanc
1377438446_snapper_and_scallops_tarragon_buerre_blanc.jpg

That Tetsuya's truffle salsa in the little jar is pretty good, but not as good as the fresh ones!

I haven't been to Tetsuya's since he move to the current location where the Suntory used to be.

We went to his original restaurant in Roselle a lot in the 90's, though. Since I've been living in the country we don't do the Sydney fine dining as much.

Best food in Goulburn is at my place, seriously, the restaurants are terrible.

Took my lady to Sydney for a foodie birthday weekend a couple years back.
Tetsuya was the highlight. Amazing food.
Newcastle has a pretty good food culture but we find it hard to order a steak or something that we can do better at home :)
My lady has the roast pork belly perfected.

1377471931_food.jpg

Here is dinner I have cooked while out camping.

Nice piece of pork with vegies all done in the faithful old camp oven.

I better not let my wife see this topic, she might start expecting me to cook better :lol:

Can't post pics yet but the other night consisted of a nice Venison Stew with home made venison sausages added. Mash with a nice Red Wine gravy and homemade bread (bread maker machine)

MattC said:
Can't post pics yet but the other night consisted of a nice Venison Stew with home made venison sausages added. Mash with a nice Red Wine gravy and homemade bread (bread maker machine)

Welcome Matt.
Sounds great. I've not had much Venison.
Sausage making is next on my list of food adventures :)

Cheers
Rod

Ramjet said:
MattC said:

Welcome Matt.
Sounds great. I've not had much Venison.
Sausage making is next on my list of food adventures :)

Cheers
Rod

Thanks mate. I really like game meat so tend to eat a fair bit of it. I've only recently started making sausages, so am still learning the tricks but they have turned out ok so far. Last batch was Italian Bratwurst style.

Looks the goods Ramjet...hang on,I`ll just wipe the dribble off the Keyboard :D
Ever tried red wine and Maple syrup marinade for pork or tough steak cuts ?
Chinese rice wine,5 spice and brown sugar goes good for asian style smoked fish as well .
Sorry no pics.....it normally inhaled before it gets cold round here ;)

Ramjet that smoker looks great. I make my own jerky as well from goat and venison but not smoked like that. Mine is just done in a cheap dehydrator. I also make some home made bacon when i get a pork belly just with a dry rub of salt etc and then in the fridge for around 10 days. :D

MattC said:
Ramjet that smoker looks great. I make my own jerky as well from goat and venison but not smoked like that. Mine is just done in a cheap dehydrator. I also make some home made bacon when i get a pork belly just with a dry rub of salt etc and then in the fridge for around 10 days. :D

That smoker is from Aldi. Come up a couple of times a year.
You don't need anything fancy to smoke with. A weber kettle or even a hooded BBQ will make jerky or bacon or any other smoked food.

I've done bacon a few times. Nothing like real smoke flavour :D

I have a basic smoker here but have never been very happy with the flavour. Might have to experiment a bit more.

Cheats Ham.
Rather the brining a piece of pork, just buy a corned beef and smoke it.
Makes great ham. The one on the left was glazed with mustard and honey. The right one with maple syrup.

Rod

1377642977_sany0316.jpg

1377643021_sany0335.jpg

Latest posts