Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of pies I made the other day.
1524571506_30708363_772507346281292_6579475633554934634_n.jpg
1524571637_ccc_080.jpg

Lemon oil now that's a new one for me I'll check it out on the strength of that photo Dr Duck :Y: I love lamb shanks.

RM, it is simply basil in this case, wizzed up in the stick mixer with olive oil and lemon juice. You can put a little garlic in, or use parsley instead of basil.

It gives a nice lemony seasoning to the shanks and cuts through the richness.

Shanks were seasoned with fennel and white pepper ground with salt, well browned and cooked with finely chopped carrot, onion and celery in a braising liquid made of chicken stock and vermouth seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme and some of the fennel and white pepper mix. Put it all into a covered pan and then cooked for about 6 hours at 120C in the oven.

Let them cool down and put in a baking tray and skim the fat off the sauce. Then to serve put the shanks back into a hot oven to get a bit brown and crispy, before serving up with the sauce and mash, with the basil and lemon oil drizzled over.

The end result is very juicy and tender (falling apart) shanks with a rich sauce.

Some fantastic tucker being cooked up everyone :Y:

Mr Jet, 3 questions for you ;)
1: Can I come and work, where you work? :p
2: Where did you get the popper rack? Have been trying to find one for a while.
3:Is a "portex"the same as a "vortex" except for the first letter?

Cheers,
Billy.

never heard of them being called Jalapeno poppers , back 15 or 20 years ago when i first started american style bbq smoked meat and so on well before it took off in australia they were called ABT's which was short for atomic buffalo turds .

johno

texta said:
never heard of them being called Jalapeno poppers , back 15 or 20 years ago when i first started american style bbq smoked meat and so on well before it took off in australia they were called ABT's which was short for atomic buffalo turds .

johno

Yep. Heard them called that as well. If ya google it you get ABTs. aka poppers.

Billy said:
Some fantastic tucker being cooked up everyone :Y:

Mr Jet, 3 questions for you ;)
1: Can I come and work, where you work? :p
2: Where did you get the popper rack? Have been trying to find one for a while.
3:Is a "portex"the same as a "vortex" except for the first letter?

Cheers,
Billy.

Billy, Three answers for you :D

1 Yes you can. But.. they are in the process of casualising the workforce. Not good for the workers of country IMHO. Plus I don't cook for everyone. There are hundreds of people. I cook for my team and anyone else who happens to be around.

2. Can't find the link for the popper rack. Had it for years. Plenty of cheep ones on ebay... if ya want to pay the $50 delivery fee from the states. :eek: :rolleyes: After a quick search the cheapest I could find is at Ali express. They offer free delivery to Australia. See link. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...0180503162607&SearchText=jalapeno+popper+rack

3. Yes Vortex is a brand name and Portex is a home made version. Don't want to infringe copyright or anything. It's just a cheap staino bowl with the bottom sliced off. Works well.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks for the reply Rod,
It is a shame to see so many workplaces going down this track (no pun intended). Only good for the employer I suppose :mad:

I will check out the rack and see how I go.

Great idea on the Portex mate and will have to give it a go. Did it work well for you?

Cheers,
Billy.

Billy said:
Thanks for the reply Rod,
It is a shame to see so many workplaces going down this track (no pun intended). Only good for the employer I suppose :mad:

I will check out the rack and see how I go.

Great idea on the Portex mate and will have to give it a go. Did it work well for you?

Cheers,
Billy.

Yes I was happy with my portex. I know a local manufacturer who did some digging tools and beach scoops. I will ask them about making a staino popper rack,.

Billy said:

Gee Billy, I think you may have gone a bit overboard on the greens.

Looks good otherwise. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts