Answer me this.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty22

Rusty
Reaction score
If i take out my water assisted creek cleaning contraption to remove led shot, .22 projectiles and other debris from our waterways that don't belong there, there for doing my bit for the environment and if i happen to find gold in the process would i be braking the law and classed as high banking? Considering gold would be a byproduct. Just wondering.

:lol: :lol: Should be ok :lol: :lol:
And when you get caught :eek: and fined and or maybe Jail time :eek:
You will have your answer .
Good luck :lol: :lol:

The led having previously been mined and processed would not be classed as a mineral but as rubbish(same as a dumped battery). If you collected the rubbish as a concentrate of lead, mercury and so other 'heavies' then legally you should be fine to process it as u like later so long as the intent was to remove polutants.
Of course the law is a funny thing as it applies differently depending on who u are. Like if your a politician and have no legal right be elected then they give u the benefit of the doubt, whereas if u have anything that looks like it might collect gold then better have plenty of money available for a really good lawyer.

Well the Victorian economy would love to have all the NSW prospectors come down here either permanently or on day/weekend trips.
You can highbank, with a petrol or electric pump.
You can use a trommell.
You can use a power operated dryblower.
You can sluice, pan.
You can dig rock and use a power crusher.
And of course detect.
It would be almost impossible to work out how much, but I'm sure the NSW prospectors will make trips down here now, which they wouldn't have otherwise.

You could be onto something there ,.... as long as you throw all that no good gold back into the creek as you go you would probly be welcome to take all the lead shot. Just make sure that you get media attention coverage about it all first so as to ensure you have a paper trail for the magistrate. And dont own a fossicking liscence or a mining permit at all ,.... and by crikey don't have a poofteenth of a gram of anything mineral at home and give away that rock collection of yours pronto tonto.
Then, and only then, you might be sorta nearly okay to go on with it as a venture and reap the rewards and glory of a creaky cleaner. :Y:

Laws are open to interpretation, so if you are charged by any relevant authority then you get to state your case in court.

Who really enjoys going to court? No-one really, except lawers of course.....

Well the Victorian economy would love to have all the NSW prospectors come down here either permanently or on day/weekend trips.
You can highbank, with a petrol or electric pump.
You can use a trommell.
You can use a power operated dryblower.
You can sluice, pan.
You can dig rock and use a power crusher.
And of course detect.
It would be almost impossible to work out how much, but I'm sure the NSW prospectors will make trips down here now, which they wouldn't have otherwise.
With the way nsw is changing laws what you can / cant do, i might have to start looking at fosiking elsewhere.

Victoria it is for me. What piss me off is that in the last 8 months i have invested in this great hobby for my kids and I and it to be shut down before I really get started. Im a single farther of 3 and can't afford plane trips to theme parks so it's camping and looking for gold nothing more than healthy fun for all. What happened to the old Aussie icon in the 80s norm and the slogan LIFE BE INIT n.s.w government should have a slogan like we can't make money out of it so you cant doit!

Maybe have a big interstate meet and demonstrate to the NSW gov how much revenue is flowing south?
They probably wouldn't give two stuff's but you'de have fun!

It's only the fossicking regulations that seem to prevent a lot of things, like the use of certain machinery (though some are of course covered by other legislation). Fossicking only covers the collection and sale on behalf of the government of royal minerals as far as l know, so gold, silver and maybe some gems, so maybe we should all stop prospecting and instead go out collecting black mineral sands to make skin cleansers or something? I mean the law is the law, but the interpretation of the law is whatever you can make a judge agree with.
The biggest win for us all might be if the high Court rules in favour of all the duel citizen pollies as it would set a precedent that ignorance is a totally valid defence. After all the Constitution in regards to citizenship is quite clear, certainly far more so that the fossicking regulations and they are largely lawyers where we are laymen.
Not trying to make this about if they should be there or anything political, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the legal system and how it screws over the ordinary Joe.

Latest posts